Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Arma 3 - Greenback Mountain
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Situation:
AAF occupational forces in Chernarus have established a foothold around the Green Mountain area. An AA site near the Comms post on top of the mountain is used to effectively block air traffic to our northern airbase. MARSOC team Badger 2 is sent in to neutralize both locations in an early-morning raid.

Requires Massi's marines and A3MP. This was a quick-and-dirty job, I'd like to see how this works out since I didn't take long to make this one.
Sometimes, quick and dirty ends up as the favored missions and turns out to be a nice and quick fun mission. Sometimes its quicker to fix since its not over engineered either.

My Frosty Needle mission was actually quick and dirty.
Yeah, this one literally took me half a day. I'll have to see if I can't churn out a few more like this Smile
Ah 2-4 hours for me when I did frosty, but if I try something like that in Arma 3, it would probably take me bits longer due to customizing custom loadouts and such. That would take some extra time. I haven't spend too long to make a long missions due to time shortages at time. The one last ones that took me time was Zaros Conspiracy mission since I was experimenting with how stealth goes and I haven't had the results I wanted in the past.

Ironically, the simple missions I make usually comes out more perfect due to less room for errors while the one I took a while are more prone to imbalances and such (maybe some stuff might be overengineer or overthought due to experimenting with things I haven't try sometimes).
Sounds good. For how many players is it?
co@14 so looks like 14
Right... Brain fart!
(06-30-2014, 01:12 AM)Phantom link Wrote: [ -> ]Ah 2-4 hours for me when I did frosty, but if I try something like that in Arma 3, it would probably take me bits longer due to customizing custom loadouts and such. That would take some extra time. I haven't spend too long to make a long missions due to time shortages at time. The one last ones that took me time was Zaros Conspiracy mission since I was experimenting with how stealth goes and I haven't had the results I wanted in the past.

Actually, this mission contains custom loadouts for almost all roles Smile

I had tried to find out what exactly is it that makes mission development (at least for me) draw out. I realized that it is a big part polish. I hate unpolished missions, so I spend a considerable amount of time on it.

What I mean with that is things like
- Full briefing.
- Full tasks, which includes failing all incomplete tasks at the end. The debriefing screen should have a complete run-down
- Radio messages. I never use sideChat. I use kbTell, and the system we've come up with works with AI and players alike.
- Individual overview picture
- more or less fitting quote at the beginning

Now, there isn't much of that which I can cut. What I did with this mission is cut back on Radio messages. They're only two-liners (one side says something, the other confirms) which are much easier to do than the usual stuff I have (six or seven ping-pong messages).

I suppose experience also counts for something.

But I found that if I focus more on the mission itself, it becomes faster to develop. I don't know how else to explain it.
(06-30-2014, 11:43 AM)Alwarren link Wrote: [ -> ]But I found that if I focus more on the mission itself, it becomes faster to develop. I don't know how else to explain it.
That line says it all. I think this is a trend that needs encouraging. Given that "quick and dirty" missions are usually no less enjoyable than highly polished ones, I hope we will see more of them.