Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: In game sound volume
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For me personally both vanilla and JSRS sounds are loud, using headsets makes me put the slider volume under 25 %.
I'm curious to know how it is for you guys?
Is a bit problematic to set volume for a custom sound cuz for some ppl could be too low or too loud. If a custom sound is too low u may never hear it or if is too loud u have to decrease sound volume and lose other sounds.

What's you think is the best practice? Could be a solution to have separate sliders for ambiental sounds and action/gun fire/ player generated sounds? I think this could be the object of a script, addon or mod.
Only an issue with aircraft (rotors and jet engines in A3 drown every other sound), not running any sound mods.
@Otlw
How high is your sound volume? You use headset?
Headset, between 2 and 6 percent, at 6 I already don't hear what's happening around me in the house.
So last night we played a mission with boats and a mission with tanks, i came to a realization. Engine noises in Arma are fucking loud. Boat engines, tank engines, car engines are so fucking loud they drown out every other noise, even helicopter engines but i think they are actually that loud in real life so no beef there. While we were in the rubber boats last night i couldn't hear a damn thing from the leader and only when the guy next to me started firing at the beach i knew we had contact with enemies.

Turning down the effects volume is not the solution because gunfire and explosions are at the correct decibel value similar to how they are in real life. Its just that engine noises in proportion to all other sound effects are way way far too loud to be realistic or playable. It prevents me from hearing any orders from leaders while moving and is entirely disorienting. Modders can anything be done to make the engine noise levels lower and more realistic?
Cyprus push to hear.
There is a thread about it in addons & mods I think
1. Real life rubber boats are loud as hell, to the point that orders are communicated by hand signals.
2. Just lower the game's volume in windows mixer and increase Teamspeak's volume. See the quote here.
3. If that doesn't work for you (although I don't see why it shouldn't) this is the mod Evans mentioned.
4. For the fourth time, use the search function, this issue has been discussed multiple times and in a thread of its own. This is what you could have found simply by searching for the term "loud": Search results.
(11-13-2015, 10:56 AM)Variable link Wrote:1. Real life rubber boats are loud as hell, to the point that orders are communicated by hand signals.
2. Just lower the game's volume in windows mixer and increase Teamspeak's volume. See the quote here.
3. If that doesn't work for you (although I don't see why it shouldn't) this is the mod Evans mentioned.
4. For the fourth time, use the search function, this issue has been discussed multiple times and in a thread of its own. This is what you could have found simply by searching for the term "loud": Search results.
1. Didnt know that
2. Please see above why i dont like this option
3 and 4. Not to be a jackass but i thought this was relevant because it was my takeaway. But i concede technical thread is more appropriate.
(11-13-2015, 11:20 AM)Watchmen link Wrote: [ -> ]2. Please see above why i dont like this option
You didn't understand the suggestion. Using the mixer is not like turning down the effects using the in-game menu. The mixer allows you to increase Teamspeak in relation to the game by 1. Increasing Teamspeak volume. 2. Decreasing the game's volume 3. Increasing the overall volume. This way you can hear Teamspeak OVER the games loudness. It works, test it.
I said i dont want to reduce engine sound at the expense of bullet and explosion loudness because that is how loud they should be. Ideally i want only engine sound to get softer and everything else to stay the same even teamspeak. A radio too loud is also not very enjoyable.

If not being able to hear the radio was my only problem then yes that would work, but what i want is to have all the volume levels balanced.
There's always the possibility to load the volume control plugin in teamspeak (can be downloaded on TS web page). It reduces all sound as long as somebody is speaking. I had it running for some time, but it was getting on my nerves, so I removed it again
(11-13-2015, 09:11 PM)Varanon link Wrote: [ -> ]There's always the possibility to load the volume control plugin in teamspeak (can be downloaded on TS web page). It reduces all sound as long as somebody is speaking. I had it running for some time, but it was getting on my nerves, so I removed it again
Thats the same reason why i dont want to use that, i prefer to have a constant sound environment where the engine noise cuts out the radio than everything going silent when someone speaks. Ill look around to for a mod if such a thing exists or at least some tweaks that can be done
(11-13-2015, 09:11 PM)Varanon link Wrote: [ -> ]There's always the possibility to load the volume control plugin in teamspeak (can be downloaded on TS web page). It reduces all sound as long as somebody is speaking. I had it running for some time, but it was getting on my nerves, so I removed it again

I used that and it screwed up my volume levels pretty quick.
I'm using it quite happily. You can set how much it lowers the game volume whilst someone's speaking and how long it delays before raising it again after they stop speaking.