Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Headtracking devices
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Since it was becoming off-topic in the DCS thread, I moved it here.

Doveman, did you have similar problems like me: I've got the Arduino/MPU combo working somewhat, i.e. I can load a sketch and it starts executing, but every time, the software suddenly decides that the COM port can't be accessed anymore, and the device no longer reacts...

It's driving me up the wall
Do you mean in the Arduino IDE, when you start uploading the sketch it loses the device/COM port, or do you mean after you've flashed it successfully and you start in FTNoIR it suddenly loses the device/COM port?

I've experienced the former, even with my Pro Micro/GY-85 and it is annoying. I think what happens is that the device ID changes sometimes when it's flashed, so then Windows decides it needs a different driver and is on a different COM port. Sometimes I've had to force it into bootloader mode by shorting GND and RST (timing is quite critical, as it needs to be in bootloader mode when it's trying to upload, so try shorting them as soon as it says Uploading) after that happens to be able to reflash it and get it working again.

Most of the time that doesn't happen when I'm flashing though. If it's just flipping between two different IDs, then having installed drivers for both at some point might enable Windows to automatically activate the right one depending on the current ID but running Win8.1 as I am, I found one of the drivers isn't signed for it so I couldn't use that one and at one point had to boot back to Win7 to fix it.

I've not had it lose the COM port after I've got it running in FTNoIR. It does have a habit of using a different COM port when plugging the USB cable in, even to the same USB port, not always but quite often, maybe after a reboot, so that I have to switch to the new COM port in FTNoIR after launching it, which is one of the reasons why I wanted to try running it via Bluetooth, as then the BT USB adapter will be left plugged in and the COM port won't change.

I haven't used my Pro Micro/MPU board for a while though, so I'll try connecting that up sometime and flashing the EDtracker firmware to it and check if I have any problems with it.

I don't know if it matters but I'm using a USB2 port on my monitor, so that's basically a powered hub, or when flashing I tend to use a USB3 port (with an extension cable, so nothing else on that port), which might work better than a USB2 port perhaps.
I made a clip with 3 LED powered by small batteries, everything is on headset... so is pretty wireless.
I made it work with FaceNoir/Track but i have problems making it work in ARMA.
I didn't have time to tweak the settings in ARMA but if you have a config file and/or some tips for me would be nice.
Thanks, doveman, I'll give it a try.

Alias, I was considering a LED assembly too, but I'd need a webcam for that, one that is actively supported by the tracker software... When this thread popped up on the BI forum about the Arduino, I looked for the parts and found them, so it was the easier method (cost about 8 Euro on e-bay)
how Arduino works with ARMA?
[Image: c87ee.jpg]

Damn, I wish it wasn't that costly...
I've been trying again, and I can basically load any sketch from the Arduino IDE and run that (tested some of the string tests with serial monitor enabled).

But as soon as I disconnect the device and reconnect, it won't work anymore. It won't even find the COM port. This can sometimes be fixed with reconnecting.

However, EdTracker doesn't want to flash or connect... and most of the time, using FreeTrackNoIR and an older sketch from the BI thread doesn't work either (freetrack doesn't show any movement).

Frustrating...
(09-18-2014, 11:23 AM)alias link Wrote: [ -> ]how Arduino works with ARMA?

When it worked, it was quite good
(09-18-2014, 11:28 AM)Variable link Wrote: [ -> ][Image: c87ee.jpg]

LOL

(09-18-2014, 11:28 AM)Variable link Wrote: [ -> ]Damn, I wish it wasn't that costly...

TrackIR is way over the top, really. The Arduino self-built one is pretty cheap (8 Euro), and while it doesn't do positional tracking, it can track your view direction, and that's enough for me (I want to basically use it in DCS and when flying Helis in Arma). I just need to get it to work, goddamnit
Not that I'm happy about the price of TrackIR, but there is quite a difference. Altough, not such one that approves the price difference. Lousy formulation, but I can always get away of not being native English Smile

The 6 degrees of freedom is really good for flight sims. Not really needed for racing or foot combat, but in flight sims you can view the instruments closely and also move your head to a gunsight or MFD/TV.

I know the difference, because default Il2 Sturmovik had only directional tracking. With a 6dof mod it's a different dimension. Pun intended Smile

Only the rolling isn't really needed anywhere I can think of.
(09-18-2014, 02:44 PM)kutya link Wrote: [ -> ]Not that I'm happy about the price of TrackIR, but there is quite a difference. Altough, not such one that approves the price difference. Lousy formulation, but I can always get away of not being native English Smile

The 6 degrees of freedom is really good for flight sims. Not really needed for racing or foot combat, but in flight sims you can view the instruments closely and also move your head to a gunsight or MFD/TV.

I know the difference, because default Il2 Sturmovik had only directional tracking. With a 6dof mod it's a different dimension. Pun intended Smile

Only the rolling isn't really needed anywhere I can think of.

Making your own LED clip and using a PS3 Eye webcam works quite well for a lot less than trackIR, if you really want the 6DOF. It does takes a bit of work though, as you need to remove the IR filter from the PS3 Eye (and there's two models, so you need to make sure you get the right one) or at the very least, stick some unexposed, developed camera film over the lens to block non-IR light and you need some DIY skills to make the clip and mounting mechanism to attach it to your headphones (which is why I never got very far with it, as I'm pretty rubbish at making stuff like that). Important to get the right IR LEDs with the wide angle flattened end as well (SFH485P) http://www.free-track.net/english/hardwa..._model.php

This is what the clip might look like:
http://forum.free-track.net/index.php?sh...853&page=1

You can even 3D print one if you have access to a printer (you can see my awful cardboard prototype at the end of this thread!):
http://forum.free-track.net/index.php?sh...626&page=1

Or you could just buy one ready-made:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DelanClip-Moti...4d22ce1e9a

I did have some problems with the LEDs merging together when looking up or down and was advised to try making a larger model but maybe I just needed to move my head a bit less and increase the output from FTNoIR.

For ArmA at least, I find the 3DOF from the Pro Micro/GY-85 sufficient and I'm quite happy with it even in DCS. Like you, I never found any need for rolling and stretching up/crouching down in my seat to move my head up and down always felt weird and uncomfortable, so I'd rather use a couple of buttons to simulate raising/lowering my seat. The only things I kinda miss is being able to lean left/right to stick my head out the door and leaning in to zoom, but it's not a big deal, being able to look around is the main thing and I use the toebrake on one of my pedals to zoom now, although you could use a rocker or slider on your joystick or a couple of buttons if you have some spare.
(09-18-2014, 11:30 AM)Varanon link Wrote: [ -> ]I've been trying again, and I can basically load any sketch from the Arduino IDE and run that (tested some of the string tests with serial monitor enabled).

But as soon as I disconnect the device and reconnect, it won't work anymore. It won't even find the COM port. This can sometimes be fixed with reconnecting.

However, EdTracker doesn't want to flash or connect... and most of the time, using FreeTrackNoIR and an older sketch from the BI thread doesn't work either (freetrack doesn't show any movement).

Frustrating...

Well that is weird. As I said, I do sometimes have problems with the COM port changing when reconnecting (but usually only after a reboot or the device ID has changed) but nothing like that.

If you haven't already, you could try installing the Windows drivers from the EDtracker site in case they work better than whatever you're currently using
http://edtracker.org.uk/index.php/downlo...no-drivers

If you're still having the same problem (and assuming you're connecting it to it's own USB port on the PC, or a powered USB hub without too much else hanging off it) then you might want to try unsoldering the MPU from the Pro Micro and just test the Pro Micro on it's own, in case the MPU is messing up the USB communications with the PC. It shouldn't be, as the PC just sees the Arduino and the MPU just sends it's data to the Arduino but it's possible if it's wired up wrong or the firmware is wrong then the data from the MPU could be getting mixed into the USB comms incorrectly.

If you can't flash the Arduino with the java tool http://edtracker.org.uk/index.php/using/...shing-tool then you could try doing it with the IDE http://edtracker.org.uk/index.php/using/...ashing-ide

I find the IDE is the easiest way to check whether the device has been detected, as you should see the COM port and be able to select it but don't forget to close it if you're going to use something else that needs to access the port, as it locks it otherwise.

Once you've got the firmware in the Pro Micro, you'll probably need to calibrate the MPU (so reconnect it again if you disconnected it) http://edtracker.org.uk/index.php/using/calibration

If it's working, it will appear as a joystick to Windows and I don't think FTNoIR supports those as an input option, so you'll need to use Opentrack https://www.dropbox.com/sh/544fbhsokdpy3...n2slyp0dCa

EDIT: Sorry, I think I got that a bit backwards. You need to run the GUI calibration software first http://www.edtracker.org.uk/index.php/do...ory/4-gui, which requires Java 7 http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/j...80261.html and from there, flash the Calib firmware and calibrate as per the guide http://edtracker.org.uk/index.php/downlo...umentation

Then, once calibrated, you can flash the final firmware from the GUI as well.
Compared to you Doveman, I'm dancing in my seat while flying Big Grin

I move around extensively to have a better view of the outside, especially while hunting for ground targets. In some planes, especially the sturdy ones for ground pounding, the view is really limited. I usually try to look "behind" the canopy struts.

Anyway, if LED clip + PS3 eye really does the job and you have the needed DIY skills, I don't see why would one buy a TrackIR.
(09-18-2014, 07:25 PM)kutya link Wrote: [ -> ]Compared to you Doveman, I'm dancing in my seat while flying Big Grin

I move around extensively to have a better view of the outside, especially while hunting for ground targets. In some planes, especially the sturdy ones for ground pounding, the view is really limited. I usually try to look "behind" the canopy struts.

Anyway, if LED clip + PS3 eye really does the job and you have the needed DIY skills, I don't see why would one buy a TrackIR.

Yeah, I'm lazy Wink

I guess if you've got lots of money and little time, then the TrackIR is something you can just buy and start using (until the clip breaks that is, as I understand they're quite fragile).

Varanon, I've wired up my Pro Micro/MPU now and using the Headtracker calibration GUI, I can calibrate it fine but when I then flash it with the full firmware, the GUI can no longer connect with it. The COM port is still visible to the PC and the app, so something else is wrong. I even tried an older firmware as the GUI lets you choose from a couple and that was the same.
(09-18-2014, 07:57 PM)doveman link Wrote: [ -> ]Varanon, I've wired up my Pro Micro/MPU now and using the Headtracker calibration GUI, I can calibrate it fine but when I then flash it with the full firmware, the GUI can no longer connect with it. The COM port is still visible to the PC and the app, so something else is wrong. I even tried an older firmware as the GUI lets you choose from a couple and that was the same.

Same here. I worked around this by using the command line tool to flash it, and then start the GUI and this works

However, I lack input from one axis... might need to re-check the cables, or replace the 6050
Pages: 1 2