Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Elite: Dangerous
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone else playing this game? I played the original WAAAAY back on my Sinclair ZX Spectrum and actually made it up to Deadly (one rank below Elite). Going to try finally hit Elite in this one Big Grin
This is still in beta, right? I haven't really been a fan of space flying (or whatever Smile) except for Freespace 2 but this one looks great. A read a couple of articles on Rock Paper Shotgun and I'm really looking forward to this.
Where are you getting it from? It's not on Steam (at least not for poor Israelis like me).
No, Elite has been officially released on the 16th. You are probably thinking of Star Citizen, which is still in development. SC is the game I'm waiting for, but in the meantime, Elite Dangerous will do :-)

I'm a huge fan of space combat games like Free space, the X-Wing series, Wing Commander, or Freelancer, so I needed to have this game, and I'm really hyped for Star Citizen...
(12-18-2014, 02:59 PM)Alwarren link Wrote: [ -> ]No, Elite has been officially released on the 16th. You are probably thinking of Star Citizen, which is still in development. SC is the game I'm waiting for, but in the meantime, Elite Dangerous will do :-)

No, I mean Elite Smile but thanks for the tip, Star Citizen looks indeed promising. Shuffled through some forums and apparently a Steam version of Elite is in the works. Funny how five years ago I wouldn't buy anything digital and now I wouldn't buy a physical copy. It has to be Steam. Btw, winter sale has begun, hold on to your wallets!
Well after spending a couple of hours on Elite: Dangerous, I can only say I am sorry I bought it. The game is boring as hell, what good is a million star systems when they all look identical, or are build up of identical set pieces? Nothing to discover, just tedium going from one station to another. Trying to play online is suicide, because all the freaks have better guns than you and will shoot you to shit once they see you. There are several types of space stations that all look the same from the inside anyway.

I seriously wonder how the game got good reviews. One review I read said more or less that right now the game is pretty weak but has potential, and for the potential, gave it a 86% rating. What the fuck? Potential isn't a way to rate a game. You are supposed to rate what is there. It is being sold as a full price game, so I expect full price value back.

Sorry for the rant. I am just utterly frustrated with this.
Thanks for posting this. I was seriously considering buying but will stay clear now.

I don't know what's wrong with reviewers, but it seems that metacritic score cannot help me to know if I will like the game or not. Last few recent games I liked had scores in lower 70's.
(12-28-2014, 07:41 PM)Alwarren link Wrote: [ -> ]Well after spending a couple of hours on Elite: Dangerous, I can only say I am sorry I bought it. The game is boring as hell, what good is a million star systems when they all look identical, or are build up of identical set pieces? Nothing to discover, just tedium going from one station to another. Trying to play online is suicide, because all the freaks have better guns than you and will shoot you to shit once they see you. There are several types of space stations that all look the same from the inside anyway.

That's good to know. Perhaps they'll add more variance and content in the future but for now I'm going the same way as Misha.
Here's the deal though... after having raged at the game and almost uninstalling it, I went back and spend another two hours playing it without even noticing it were two hours. This game can be immensely frustrating but grips you again all the same.

So I really don't know what to think of it. The fact that it pulls me back in again has to count for something.  :-\
(12-29-2014, 04:13 PM)Alwarren link Wrote: [ -> ]Here's the deal though... after having raged at the game and almost uninstalling it, I went back and spend another two hours playing it without even noticing it were two hours. This game can be immensely frustrating but grips you again all the same.

So I really don't know what to think of it. The fact that it pulls me back in again has to count for something.  :-\
Sounds like another game I know Wink
(12-29-2014, 05:42 PM)Variable link Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like another game I know Wink
Hehe