Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: GUIDE: How to set an alternate channel on your radio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I started a document, see here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Btqe...sp=sharing

Feel free to add to it, but I'll work on the images and instruction some more later.
It will be 2 A4's I think, one extra with the images and instructions.

Doveman, do you want to add the Stereo split section? I never used it...
(03-31-2015, 02:36 PM)Variable link Wrote: [ -> ]Only for complex missions, I don't want everybody to start fiddle with their frequency at the beginning of each mission. The more players deal with the TFAR interface, the more players you have that don't hear anything afterwards.
Eh? I thought the whole point of this thread was to encourage everyone to set the LR freq. as their alternate. I'm just suggesting that if there's no good way to mark the freq. on the map or in the briefing, we instead agree on a set LR freq. to use for all missions  (say 700) and then everyone will know what it is.
I thought part of the suggestion was to have a permanent frequency for each team, like 111 for alpha, 222 for bravo etc.
I just don't want people having to do that at the beginning of every mission as an SOP, just when needed and after proper planning and commander instructions.
Great job rund! It looks great! (Do we have to call it a cheat sheet? Or is it some term I'm not familiar enough with?)
(04-01-2015, 12:15 AM)Variable link Wrote: [ -> ]I thought part of the suggestion was to have a permanent frequency for each team, like 111 for alpha, 222 for bravo etc.
I just don't want people having to do that at the beginning of every mission as an SOP, just when needed and after proper planning and commander instructions.
Nah, I didn't mean that and I don't see any need for it (I mean as a SOP, obviously some missions it becomes necessary to change SR freqs.). As long as we pick a fairly high freq. for LR, I don't think it will clash with any squads SR freq. as they tend to be in the 1xx-2xx range as far as I recall.
(04-01-2015, 12:04 AM)rundll.exe link Wrote: [ -> ]I started a document, see here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Btqe...sp=sharing

Feel free to add to it, but I'll work on the images and instruction some more later.
It will be 2 A4's I think, one extra with the images and instructions.

Doveman, do you want to add the Stereo split section? I never used it...

Nice work rund, very well presented. Perhaps you can make the radio pictures bigger, so that the buttons can be easily read?

I've made a couple of edits/additions for the stereo split. You can't assign different channels on the SR to different ears, only the separate radios, so I've only included those instructions in the Group/Team leaders instructions.
(04-01-2015, 12:16 AM)Variable link Wrote: [ -> ]Great job rund! It looks great! (Do we have to call it a cheat sheet? Or is it some term I'm not familiar enough with?)

Yeah, cheat sheet sounds a bit wrong. We could call it an advisory note or crib sheet (which is used interchangably with cheat sheet really but sounds much better) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheat_sheet

I like Military Directive 83951/2 Wink
I double-checked yesterday and it is actually possible to assign separate ears for the SR main and SR alt channels, much to my surprise. What you do is open the SR radio GUI, set the  alt channel active (i.e. numpad 2) and then click on the Stereo button to cycle through the three settings. I then used the normal procedure, with the GUI closed and ch.1 selected, to set the ear for the main channel but I doubt it matters what order you do them in.

I'll add something about this to p.1 of the guide if someone else doesn't get there first Smile
Yeah, I also found that by accident yesterday, please add it Smile
Next week I'll work on the pictures of the other radios. See the last two pages for examples.
OK, I've added something about it. It annoys me that it spills over onto the next page but that's probably just my OCD Wink I added a bit to the team leader page about transmitting on the SR additional channel as well.

I double-checked and TFAR does use additional to refer to the extra channel function. I've always referred to it as alternate, so if I mistakenly write that please change it so that it's consistent with TFAR's naming.

The labels you've added to the pictures look good but I think it's better to draw a line from each button with the label at the end, to the side of the radio pictures, rather than obscuring the buttons. For the text ones, like CH+/-, VOL+/- and A they're fine but for the picture ones it's probably better to replace them with text or even just a number, so that they can be referenced in the instructions (e.g. "button 1 in the picture on p.3").
Pages: 1 2