Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Hardware recommendations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I thought it would be useful to have a thread where we can recommend components we've bought, not really those that make ArmA run better as we all know there's only so much you can do in that respect, but for other things like mice, monitors, joysticks, etc. Also if you've bought something that turned out to be not that great, you can let others know to save them making the same mistake.

I was inspired to start this by two purchases I've made recently. The first was a new mouse. I've been using the A4Tech X-748K http://www.x7.cn/en/product.asp?id=40 which is pretty good but it only has two extra buttons on the side, which I use for SR and LR radio but I was fed up using Caps for TS3/local chat and also thought it would be nice to activate a few other things, like Numpad 0, zoom or range, with the mouse, so went looking for something with more buttons.

I settled on the X-755BK http://www.x7.cn/en/product.asp?id=51 from the same company, partly because they make very reasonably priced products but also because I thought the D-pad arrangement of the side buttons would be quite easy to use, compared to some mice which have a lot of buttons crammed together on the side and make it hard to be sure which one you're pressing. It works reasonably well, I have SR on the big red button as I use that most, the bottom button as TS3/local chat and the top button as LR. I've put the Zoom In/Out keys on the forward/aft buttons but I might change that.

There are some issues with it that make me think I might go back to my old mouse however. Firstly, it's quite a bit smaller so is less comfortable in my hand (and if anything I'd say I have smallish hands). Secondly, when trying to press the bottom button on the D-pad, because it's so low your finger is on the mouse mat and that makes it a bit tricky not to press the red button as well. If they'd made the mouse bigger, so there was room on the side to move the D-pad up a bit, this wouldn't be a problem. All the other sides are no problem, as your finger has space around it so you can make sure it's only on the button you want to press. I manage to cope OK but it does force me to be careful when pressing it, so it's a bit of a pain. The worse thing however is they moved the extra button  which was between the left mouse button and scroll wheel to the left side of the left mouse button. In it's previous position, it was no problem pressing it but now it's almost impossible to press it without pressing the left mouse button as well, so it's essentially unusable.

So I've gone from three extra buttons to six, with one a bit tricky to use but not a major problem and one completely unusable. Considering that it's also less comfortable due to it being smaller, I can't really recommend this mouse.

My second purchase was the Benq GW2760HM 27" 1080p VA panel monitor http://www.benq.com/product/monitor/gw2760hm/. I actually bought this on my sister's behalf, as part of a new PC build I'm putting together for her. My Dad has the same monitor which he uses for X-Plane and I tested it side by side with his old monitor. The best thing about it is the VA panel gives much better black definition than even an IPS monitor, so for example in X-Plane flying at night on a normal TN or IPS monitor, there wouldn't be much to see in the darkness as dark buildings and the dark sky become blended in to each other. With the VA panel however, it's able to show a much greater range of blacks, so you can pick out the buildings in the darkness and see clouds illuminated by the stars and moon. With a TN/IPS panel, if you turn up the brightness/contrast in order to see the buildings and clouds, then the sky and whatever else is meant to be black ends up a medium grey, so you loose all feeling of flying at night or being in darkness.

I tested it with ArmA3 last night and it was great on the night time missions, being able to actually see the trees illuminated by the night sky, whereas on my IPS monitor it's hard to see much other than the nametags! It doesn't make everything brighter like turning up Gamma, so it's not cheaty like that, it just lets you see a bit more detail around you, as you would IRL.

It does have a slight downside, in that text (in general, not in ArmA particularly) is a bit less defined/sharp than on a TN/IPS panel. I'd say it's a worthwhile tradeoff if your main use is gaming but if you spend a lot of time reading/writing text, you might find it a bit annoying. It does have a flicker-free feature that most other monitors don't though, which is meant to reduce eyestrain and it also has a reading mode which adjusts the colour of the screen to be easier on the eye but I just use f.lux to adjust the colour depending on the time of day to make it less harsh https://justgetflux.com/ My Dad's eyesight is not that great and he hasn't complained about having any difficulty though and he spends 90% of his time using it reading/writing and only about 10% flying (if he's lucky and my Mum hasn't got him re-fitting the bathroom!)

They're also very reasonably priced for a 27". I was actually going to get my sister a different monitor that was £159 but then it suddenly jumped up to £216, so I had to look for alternatives and found the Benq for £165 on Amazon, which I got down to £156 with flubit. It doesn't have a height-adjustable stand, which I've got on my Dell IPS and which I'd miss but it is VESA-mountable so you can use a separate desk clamp. The buttons are on the back of the monitor, which is a bit awkward but you only really need to use them when you first tweak the settings, so it's not a big problem. I'd definitely recommend anyone to consider it. There's an in-depth review of the GW2760HS here, which is more or less the same monitor. http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_gw2760hs.htmm I think the only difference was that the original GW2760HM didn't have the flicker-free feature and the HS was an updated model with that but they've added it to the HM now, so unless you get very old stock they both should have it.
Just in case I have to buy a new GPU, what cards are recommended at this time? I saw that GTX 960 is marginally better than 770 but at 2/3 of what I paid for 770 two years ago.
Well the GTX 970 is pretty decent, despite only 3.5GB of it's 4GB actually being usable. That's unlikely to be a problem unless you're running at 4K though. By most accounts, the extra cost of the GTX 980 isn't worth it, considering the limited benefit.

If that's too expensive, the 960 is pretty good and there are 4GB versions of them available now but even the cheaper 2GB models will be sufficient for most games at 1080p. Bear in mind though that with current-gen consoles having 4GB now, it may be useful to have 4GB to play any console ports.

On the AMD side,the 4GB R9 290 is probably the best choice. R9 285 is OK and it supports the GCN 1.2 features, including Freesync and True Audio but only has 2GB, so you might want to look for a discontinued R9 280 instead, as that has 3GB vs the 285's 2GB and similar performance, which is a bit better than the GTX 760 but below the 770. Also the 280 has 384-bit memory bus vs the 285's 256-bit, which can make a difference in some games, particularly with high anti-aliasing enabled. If you're planning to play at 1440p, the 280X is probably a better choice. The 280 and 280x are GCN 1.0 parts, so don't have all the features the GCN 1.2 R9 285 does https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_C...xt#GCN_1.2 Current AMD cards are supposedly more power-hungry than Nvidia but it's not clear that they actually differ that much in normal use.

There's nothing really suitable for 4k at the moment and with new DX12 cards likely at the end of the year or early next year, you might want to pick up something fairly cheap that will keep you going for now and wait to see what's available later. DX12 will apparently work fine with current-gen cards but you'll see more features and optimisation on the new cards. I'm still rocking a 2GB 6950 and hopefully can hang on until then!

There's a decent comparison of the various cards here http://videocardz.com/review/his-radeon-...iceq-x2/10

If I had to buy a card myself right now, I'd probably get a 4GB GTX 960 but maybe a 3GB 280 if it was significantly cheaper.
Wow, I just wanted to start topic about GPU recommendations, because I am considering switching my good old gtx660ti for something better, but you were quicker.

I wanted to get some high-mid end card but current options on Nvidia side does not look good. You have gtx960 which is not too powerful, it won't be much of an upgrade from 660ti, I guess no more than 20% in performance.

And there is gtx970 and controversy about it's memory usage, and it's also 2/5 times more expensive than 960.

Of course, there is much anticipation about 960ti, but nobody knows if and when it will come out.

Next generation of Nvidia won't come out before 2016. 

So, I am not familiar with ATI products, but maybe they are worthy of consideration this time. What would be disadvantages of ATI cards in this pricing range?

Edit: Ninja'd twice!
lol, double-ninja Wink

I know ATI/AMD cards have been a bit weak in terms of OpenGL drivers, so if you play anything that relies on those (X-Plane is one I know) then you might be better off with Nvidia. It's not that they don't work, you might just get some strange looking artifiacts here and there, although I believe they've made a lot of progress improving them recently.

There is some extra power consumption but it looks to be only around 30W, so it's probably not significant enough to influence the decision.

They don't work as well in some games, certainly DCS fares much better with Nvidia cards. I think this is because it's still using DX9 and they've rather neglected those drivers to concentrate on DX10 and newer but hopefully when DCS 2 is released, using DX11, it will be much better. I'm waiting for that myself to decide which card I should get next, if it doesn't improve things enough that I can stick with my 6950 for now.

I find it hard to choose a card as even with the cards one down from the most expensive, it seems they can't maintain 60fps on Ultra settings, so you'd either have to run at 30fps or lower the settings to maintain 60fps and if I have to run at 30fps, I wonder if I'm getting any advantage over my current card. Generally the reviews only test with everything maxed out to benchmark, so it's hard to find out how well a particular game would run at less than max settings on a particular card but I'm sure the information's out there somewhere. There should be a site that shows for x card and x game what settings you can use and still maintain 60fps all the time. Then you could decide whether you're happy playing at those settings or if you want to spend more on a better card to use better settings.

I guess the main things to look for if you want a card that will last you a while are DX12 compatibility and 4GB (for 1080p - 1440p)but if you think you might be looking for another card in a year or less, you could probably manage with a cheaper DX11 2GB card. I wish they'd put memory slots on graphics cards, so we could just upgrade the memory if we need to Smile
Best option right now, if you have money, is GTX 970.
R9 280 or 280X/HD 7970GE is next option.
I personally would never buy GTX 960 or R9 285.
Ideally there would be a nvidia card to fill the (both price and performance) gap between 960 and 970, and that would be the mythical 960ti. 

BTW, I play on 1080p and it's very unlikely that I will get a monitor with higher resolution simply because my desk is too small to accommodate anything wider than 23 inches. So, short term, 960 may be sufficient but so is my 660ti, but I'm just trying to sell my old card while it can still be sold for some meaningful amount and future proof my configuration.
All I can say is that I am really happy with my GTX 680. It's quiet Smile
(04-04-2015, 10:27 AM)Variable link Wrote:All I can say is that I am really happy with my GTX 680. It's quiet Smile

I have a GTX 660 Ti from ASUS and am also very happy with it. ASUS has a reputation of using quiet coolers on their cards, and this one doesn't disappoint, plus the card works fine with Arma 3 (It's a 3GB card).

I need to try overclocking my CPU, I have an i5-3570k which is the weakest point in my config (although I hardly ever get into trouble with it). A bit of extra speed by overclocking would be welcome I guess.
(04-04-2015, 11:48 AM)Alwarren link Wrote:I have a GTX 660 Ti from ASUS and am also very happy with it. ASUS has a reputation of using quiet coolers on their cards, and this one doesn't disappoint, plus the card works fine with Arma 3 (It's a 3GB card).

I need to try overclocking my CPU, I have an i5-3570k which is the weakest point in my config (although I hardly ever get into trouble with it). A bit of extra speed by overclocking would be welcome I guess.

You will not be disappointed if you start OC-ing that baby a bit. Just make sure you have good cooling. I wouldn't want to push it very much with stock fan for example

(04-04-2015, 11:48 AM)Alwarren link Wrote:I have a GTX 660 Ti from ASUS and am also very happy with it. ASUS has a reputation of using quiet coolers on their cards, and this one doesn't disappoint, plus the card works fine with Arma 3 (It's a 3GB card).

I'd be quite happy with a 3GB 660Ti for a while too, it's much better than my 6950 for DCS and X-plane and with 3GB should be fine for everything else as well, even if it can't cope with uber settings. Not much can though!

Yeah, you might as well OC if you've got a K CPU.  I'm using a Scythe Kotetsu on my i5-4670k and that works nicely http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scythe-Kotetsu-S...he+kotetsu It's one of the cheaper heatsinks but still beats many of the more expensive ones, although there's usually only 1-3c difference in temperature http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1391-page6.html The Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme rev.C (TRUE rev.c) is another good but cheap option.

I think the Scythe comes with a 120mm fan which might be quiet enough for you but if not the quietest fans I've found that don't have issues like annoying ticks when running slower are the Arctic F12 120mm PWM, which are also very cheap compared to many as well.http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002QVLBM2?*Version*=1&*entries*=0

(04-04-2015, 03:21 AM)Misha link Wrote: 
BTW, I play on 1080p and it's very unlikely that I will get a monitor with higher resolution simply because my desk is too small to accommodate anything wider than 23 inches. So, short term, 960 may be sufficient but so is my 660ti, but I'm just trying to sell my old card while it can still be sold for some meaningful amount and future proof my configuration.

Yeah makes sense. I guess I should have sold my 6950 when everyone wanted them for mining but that's pretty much over now.

I doubt I'll be getting a 1440p or 4k monitor either, partly because of the cost of the monitor but also the card to drive it. However, with VR solutions like Rift and Vive on the horizon, I'm reluctant to invest in a new card that may well be inadequate to drive those.

I think the Rift needs to run at 75fps and the Vive at 90fps, so even if they were only 1080p (which isn't really adequate for VR), many games would struggle to maintain those frame rates. Hopefully DX12 will help with that though, for games coded to take advantage of it.
(04-04-2015, 07:55 PM)Horus link Wrote:You can try VSR  ;D  http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=...tcount=143

I really don't get how rendering at a higher resolution will help when it has to display on a 1920x1080 display at the end of the day. Just sounds like a good way to make my games run even slower  ;D

I believe Game Companion can do the same thing, so might be an easier way to try it without messing around with Catalyst drivers. I'm still running 14.12 and I doubt the newer drivers will do much good for my 6950, will probably make some games slower actually. I'm still using the 13.12 DX9 dll for DCS as that was shown to work best!
(04-04-2015, 08:53 PM)doveman link Wrote:I really don't get how rendering at a higher resolution will help when it has to display on a 1920x1080 display at the end of the day. Just sounds like a good way to make my games run even slower  ;D

Well, in the end, Anti-Aliasing does basically the same. You take multiple samples for each pixel, all with a slightly different offset, and average the result. That way, sub-pixels on the edge of things will be smoothed out a bit. Rendering in higher resolution has a similar effect, since the minification onto the screen resolution usually averages multiple pixels into a single one, which is the same basic technique.

The reason why higher resolution sometimes work better is because you can take an about 1.5 or so bigger display and scale down, while AA usually starts at 2

Bottom line, it works (usually) Smile
Pages: 1 2