Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Help me pull out PSU connector out of mobo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Somewhat funny, but when I wanted to change my PSU I realized that PSU power connector to the motherboard just won't budge. Motherboard would start to bend a little but connector wouldn't move even for a millimeter as if it's welded into the socket. Of course, I am pressing the latch, but it only gave me callus.

Out of desperation my plan is this: Use hairdryer on max heat setting to relax the plastics, if it works it will make the material more elastic, at least I hope so.

Luckily I don't need really to change PSU, old one is good enough, but it frustrates me to think that this mobo and PSU will be together forever.  ;D
I hate these connectors. What I do is buy a short extension cable for a few quid, then I plug that into the board and the PSU into the extension and I never have to remove anything from the board if I have to disconnect the PSU Smile

If you have room, it helps a lot if you can use a tool to grip one end of the plug and try and lift that a bit, then the other end, rather than trying to pull the whole thing straight out at once. Or use the tool to hold the latch open and lift one end of the plug with your fingers.
According to something I found on some forum, one guy managed to solve the same situation by pulling the psu cable itself and not the connector, and of course pressing the latch.

Will try it again tomorrow, I would need to take out almost all of the components in order to have enough room for the procedure. 
I wouldn't recommended pulling on the cable. There's a risk you could pull the wires out of the connector!
It's an old PSU, way beyond its prime, I am willing to risk it if everything else fails.
Pulled it out, with some brute force, mobo is fine, psu is fine, but then connecting the new psu required some force too... so, I guess the force is with me!
Lol. Glad u got it done
Actually, with those connectors it might even be better to pull on the cables, as the mechanical strength between the copper pins and the plastic is really crappy. Be sure to tension all cables before you pull, so you distribute the force. And push the motherboard down with a plastic tool. A cracked motherboard is much worse than a broken connector!

If you have the room, you could also put a small screwdriver on the side edge and wiggle it out.