Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Arduino/GY-85 headtracker
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Excellent, I'm glad to hear you've made progress and happy that I was able to help you.  Big Grin

I had the same problem in OT with the values constantly flipping to zero but for me that was fixed by using MartinJG's dll https://github.com/MartinJG/OpenTrackHatireTest with OT rc9, so try that if you haven't already.

FTNoIR works reasonably well though, I think the main problem I had is that it crashes if I start tracking without remembering to switch on my battery, whereas OT handles this with a graceful error. I think most of the extra features in OT are only really of use with 6DOF devices though, not 3DOF like the GY-85, so if FT works well for you there's probably no reason to change.

There still seems to be a problem, yaw seem to always be updated, no matter what axis the thing turns. I assume it's a bad calibration... need to reflash the calibration thing and redo it
(05-18-2015, 05:21 PM)Varanon link Wrote:There still seems to be a problem, yaw seem to always be updated, no matter what axis the thing turns. I assume it's a bad calibration... need to reflash the calibration thing and redo it

Yeah it could be a calibration problem. I had some strange problems initially until someone advised me I needed to rotate the board differently when calibrating due to the orientation of my board being different to that shown by the HeadtrackerGUI - "it is important for calibration where is your front, back up and down...during calibration put your board so your usb connector is 180 degrees rotated in compare to what is on calibration picture."

Also make sure you have Yaw mapped to RotX and Pitch mapped to RotY in OT/FT. I don't tend to use Roll but that should be mapped to RotZ if you use it. I'd try without it first though just to keep it simple. I had some issues in the past with FT/OT reading Roll data even though it wasn't mapped, so in OT try setting Roll to Disabled under the Mapping properties if you have the same problem, as that fixed it for me.
I'd definitely recommend EdTracker, it's working very well here. You only need to calibrate the magnetometer one time and then you just need to keep it still for 20s each time you plug it in to allow the Gyro to  auto-calibrate (or you can click the button in the GUI to do this at any time). If you already have a Pro Micro, you just need the MPU-9150 and the software is free.

It appears as a joystick device, so you can use it directly with ArmA and other games and the GUI has settings to adjust the response and set a hotkey to re-centre but I use it via OpenTrack to allow me to tweak the axis curves more precisely and output a TrackIR signal for games.

I bought the PCB and enclosure, just to make it easier (the PCB uses both sides to reduce the overall size). http://www.edtracker.org.uk/index.php/shop

The hardest part for me was cutting some holes in the enclosure but that was mainly because I don't have many tools (and I'm pretty rubbish at cutting stuff), so had to wait until I could use my Dad's drill and files.

They've recently introduced the pre-built EdTracker Pro as well, which isn't that much different to the non-Pro but is probably the best choice if someone wants a ready-built device http://www.edtracker.org.uk/index.php/pro
Wow, that's pretty cheap, will make this for sure when I hand in my PhD thesis concept Smile
Pages: 1 2 3