Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Dolby drivers for onboard soundcards
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If you're using an onboard soundcard, you might want to try these Dolby drivers instead of the Realtek ones, as they seem to give a much higher quality sound http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=392085

There's a list of compatible hardware IDs in this post: http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=...stcount=48

I've got onboard Realtek on my motherboard and ATI HDMI on my graphics card and these drivers have installed for both and I've got a nice Dolby control panel with a great EQ and other settings.

I was hoping the Dolby virtual surround would work better for me than Razer Surround but I think my head just isn't compatible with virtual surround! Lots of people say that Dolby virtual surround is the best though, so it's certainly worth trying.

(05-31-2015, 01:44 AM)doveman link Wrote: [ -> ]I was hoping the Dolby virtual surround would work better for me than Razer Surround but I think my head just isn't compatible with virtual surround! Lots of people say that Dolby virtual surround is the best though, so it's certainly worth trying.

The thing with Razer surround is, I had the same problem in the beginning. The effect sounded fake. Yeah I could tell a sound was behind me because of the different filtering. Then I was playing the campaign and all of a sudden I was alarmed because I thought someone broke into my house - I had heard voices behind me. Then I realized it was two guys from Arma talking.

Moral of the story - don't try to listen to the direction. Just play normally, and the effect will come automatically. Once in a coop night I thought we were getting attached from behind but thought I had misheard. Then I got shoot in the back.
You can use this drivers for nVidia HDMI, too...btw that is my post about hardware IDs  ;D
(05-31-2015, 11:29 AM)Horus link Wrote: [ -> ]You can use this drivers for nVidia HDMI, too...btw that is my post about hardware IDs  ;D

lol, you and your non de plumes Smile
(05-31-2015, 02:37 AM)Alwarren link Wrote: [ -> ]The thing with Razer surround is, I had the same problem in the beginning. The effect sounded fake. Yeah I could tell a sound was behind me because of the different filtering. Then I was playing the campaign and all of a sudden I was alarmed because I thought someone broke into my house - I had heard voices behind me. Then I realized it was two guys from Arma talking.

Moral of the story - don't try to listen to the direction. Just play normally, and the effect will come automatically. Once in a coop night I thought we were getting attached from behind but thought I had misheard. Then I got shoot in the back.

Yeah, the thing for me is that I can never really tell which direction someone speaking is coming from or where I'm being shot at from. I get a sense of left or right but not really more specific than that and for shots, I never have any idea and might just be hearing the impact noises, which doesn't really tell me where the shooter is!

Someone told me that it's probable my head/ear shape is just not compatible with the model that Razer is based on, although I suspect my auditory processing disorder doesn't help much. Perhaps I need to mount four little speakers on poles attached to my chair so that I can have real surround without needing to turn them up too loud and annoying the neighbours  ;D

The thing you said about thinking sounds are coming from inside your house, I get that when playing games with real surround speakers and it's amazing to realise that it's actually the game sounds and not a real bird or something that's outside my window and sometimes even just with my stereo speakers on my TV, as sound reflects off the walls I guess but I've never had that effect with virtual surround on headphones.

Anyway, with the Dolby drivers installed I can choose whether to use Dolby virtual surround or Razer virtual surround to see if one works better for me, so it's the best of both worlds Smile