Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: What do you read?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
since I just ran out of books to read I started to wonder what you guys might read. here is a List of series of books I have read so far, I will try and add a little description to all of them
i read(lately(~last 3-5years)) (series):

The oregon files(by clive cussler): A small group of Intelligence mercenaries Operating from their well camoflaged base the Oregon (quite thrilling mostly)

the Jack Reacher books (by Lee child)(also fuck that crappy movie): Jack Reacher is a ex MP who spends his life drifting through the USA

everything by tom clancy: not much to say, the books are just great, even though the later books featuring Jack ryan sr. can get a bit boring when tom clancy shows his idea of politics.

Nathan McBride series (by andrew peterson): Nathan McBride is a Former CIA Sniper whos career ended in a bothed Mission in Nicaragua that almost killed him, he is running a Security company when he is pulled back into action doing a favor.

Jonathan Quinn(by Brett Battles): Quinn is a Cleaner, his job is to make the bodies disapear the killers leave with the help of his apprentice Nate. Since they work with Intelligence services frequently they end up being targets them selves from time to time)

Victor the Assassin (by Tom Wood): Victor is a top notch killer, the best of the best and as paranoid as people can be since he made quite some enemys during his career

the Leo Demidov books (byTom rob smith.... didn't read "the farm" though): Leo is a KGB officer whos eyes are opened when he comes across some strange murder case

Tom Grey (by alan McDermott): Tom Grey is the owner of a PMC outfit who decides to take justice in his own hands to make politics take a harder course on criminals-

Mark Sava (by Dan Mayland): Sava is a ex CIA agent and former station chief of Azerbaijan living and working in Baku who gets drawn back into the spy game when he sees a former collegue  is arrested for a murder she would not have commited.

A Song of Ice and Fire (still waiting for the next book)

John Rain
(by Barry Eisler): John is a  Japanese-American who never really fit in, neither in Japan nor in the USA who is working as a courier for the CIA when he notices that he would make a good killer
Currently reading:

The Cardinal of the Kremlin by Tom Clancy.

Waiting for The Winds of Winter by George R.R.R.R.R. Martin. I really hope he finishes it soon
(We need a "a song of ice and fire fan theories" thread Smile)

World War Z by Max Brooks. Don't judge the book by the film; while I haven't seen it, I heard it has little to do with the book.

Metro Series
by Dmitry Glukhovsky. Haven't read this one myself yet, but Varanon has and it should be quite good.

Companions on the Road by Tanith Lee. A fantasy novel I have read ages ago, and while I have little memory of the details (we're talking 25 years ago, really), I remember it to be a very moody story.

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. The book was certainly pretty hyped, but it isn't too bad. Its claim of historical accuracy however seems far fetched.

The song of a distant earth by Arthur C. Clarke. I've always been a fan of his, and while this novel is relatively atypical of his usual style, it was a very fascinating story.

The Invincible and Solaris, both by Stanislaw Lem. Lem is a bit difficult to read, also because most of the time his subject matter is someone's encounter with the unknown.  Both books had a strange appeal to them.

The Fourth Protocol and The Devil's Alternative by Frederik Forsyth. He's a british author, and writes in a similar style as Clancy, without the uber-patriotism. Day of the Jackal  and The Odessa Files are probably his most well-known novels, both of which I haven't read yet.

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R.R.R. Tolkien. (what's that with fantasy authors and 'R's anyway?). If you ask me, a must-read. THE classic fantasy book.

I used to read a lot but now I only have time to read while riding on a bus or on vacation. My favorite authors are Philip K. Dick, Kurt Vonnegut, Franz Kafka, Thomas Bernhard and Mark Twain. I can recommend any of the books they wrote and the Bible (kidding, right).

So far this year I read only one book.

I think I read all of his books, and I'm pretty amused about controversy over the last one which I currently read:

[Image: 7775902727_soumission-de-michel-houellebecq.jpg]

Previusly I read:
[Image: the-museum-of-innocence-by-orhan-pamuk-40-p.jpg]

Turkish society in 70's, 80's, traditional and conservative world in collision with modernity, and love story that goes on for 600 pages.
Metro 2033 and Metro 2034 by Dmitry Glukhovsky. If you played the games, you will know the rough story of thenfirst book, but the books are vastly different from the games and thus worth a read. Strange in places, really.

Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky. The book on which the Stalker games are based. Very strange book, but fascinating in any case.

A Song of Ice and Fire, by George R. R. Martin. Even if you watch the series, you should read the books. They are so much richer than the series, it makes the TV adaptation seem like a weak reflection. The amount of symbolism and hints is stunning, if you read it carefully, you will pick up tons of hints about future events, or will be able to tell who dies by the foood they are eating, or the colors of their Banner. Not to mention the actual background, the song of ice and fire, which is a core of the book series and totally absent in the TV version.

All You Need Is Kill,  by Hiroshi Sakurazaka. This book is the basis for the movie "Edge of Tomorrow ". The story is similar, but not quite the same, and deviates from the movie substantially in the servos half (and had a completely different explanation and ending). 
(06-13-2015, 01:48 AM)Alwarren link Wrote: [ -> ](We need a "a song of ice and fire fan theories" thread

with big spoiler warnings xD
(06-13-2015, 10:26 AM)UnNamedGER link Wrote: [ -> ]with big spoiler warnings xD

Well, yeah, sort of.. in reality, though, they're not strictly spoilers because nothing of it is actually confirmed; it's just what people have tried to extract from the information already out there Smile
i was rather thinking about my only theorie according to what last happened at the wall Wink since that is yet to be shown in the show... but at times I think the show and the books are just placed in the same world and cover some of the same storries but not exclusively
Oh yeah, that... curious how they will handle that in the TV show Smile
I've read Clear and present danger and Red storm rising by Tom Clancy. The action and the big picture parts (like the chapter in red storm where USSR general secretaries discuss reasons for going to war) are interesting, but rest is tedious. I gave up on The bear and the dragon when it was more long tedious or boring stuff in between interesting bits.

I've read Putin's Russia by Anna Politkovskaya some years ago, I forgot to go to bed on time while reading it and then continued reading it as soon as I woke up. Only book where I shivered while turning pages.
I haven't read many novels lately, I guess I get my escapism from TV and games now, although I used to read loads when I was a teenager. I was reading a fair bit of non-fiction a few years back but nothing recently. I think the last novel I read was Runaway Jury by John Grisham, which was pretty good and different from the film. My Dad really likes Grisham's work and is on a mission to read all his novels, so occasionally he persuades me to borrow and read one Smile

I'll probably push myself to read the GoT books sometime though, I really enjoyed reading fantasy like LoTR when I was younger.
(06-13-2015, 10:26 PM)doveman link Wrote: [ -> ]I'll probably push myself to read the GoT books sometime though, I really enjoyed reading fantasy like LoTR when I was younger.

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Song of Ice and Fire series, it's better IMO than the TV show, and one of the best novels I have ever read.

Funnily enough, when I first heard about it. I thought I wouldn't like it. "It's all about intrigue and scheming and politics"... ugh... Then I read the sample off Google Books, and immediately I was hooked and didn't stop until I was through all of the books. I literally spent days just reading in my spare time. If you have even a passing interest in fantasy, go get it and read it.
Game of Thrones - man, I don't like fantasy stuff at all. I read entire Tolkien's opus but I never felt attached to it, they were just interesting books for me to pass time and nothing more, and every other fantasy book or movie just didn't interest me enough.

Till Game of Thrones, because it keeps magic stuff to the minimum and brings politics, intrigue and wars to the front. Even dragons don't bother me, they seem realistic as dragons can be, gritty realism all around. No perfect heroes to save the world, everybody have their weaknesses or sins. It's an adult fantasy in every sense.

I will read the books hopefully before the end of 21st century, I base my opinion upon the TV show but seems I would like the books even more.
[Image: how-much-she-wanted-him.jpg]
For giggles, re: Lord of the Rings, this playlist describes very well some of the background of the story:

On a similar note, this channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCveZqqG...acooywP5Ig is for Game of Thrones and explains a lot of the fan theories. Be warned: The channel is dark and full of spoilers.
I'm currently reading through JawBreaker for the second time
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jawbreaker-Al-Qa...0307351068

Interesting stuff and basically what the new tactical shooter groundbranch is using as one of their main inspirations.
Pages: 1 2