Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Patrol Scripts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
While trying BIS Fnc TaskPatrol on some maps like Thirsk, I see that the AI don't patrol at its intended area and decide to go crosscountry across the map instead. For such situation, I either manual place waypoints, but sometimes I rather have a randomize patrol to cover a larger area.

In such situation, I usually go to Kronzky's UPS script. Its simple enough to throw into a unit's init and use just the most basic function of it. A few other customizable setting would be Safe Distance to retreat, Close Enough to pick new target, Share Distance to share information about targets to nearby units and how long to stay alerted. To me that's simple enough though I don't care about the other settings for a simple patrol script.

There's also UPSMON which is the complex version of UPS that enhances the AI as well (I use to use that a lot back in Arma 2, I remember sometimes they'll decide to all horde you with that instead).

I haven't tried UPS or UPSMON in Arma 3 for a while so what are your guys' thoughts on it.

In cases where BIS Fnc Taskpatrol fail, I may turn to UPS instead. It seems to do the job for what I want.
Be careful with the script, it does, IIRC, alert all groups under it's control, resulting in almost all enemies coming in on you once you are detected
I see. I assume those who I init the script in will come to reinforce, but the AIs that don't run will not if I'm correct?

While working on mission 3, I did put a good amount of AI friendly reinforcements that you can call in so its not just the player's group that will be targetted so I guess that can even out?
Hmm, I guess sometimes there's weird behaviors with UPS too. Had some patrols on automatic combat/alert mode inside the base (I guess because I mounted the AIs inside enemy vehicles although they're friendly to each other). In the forest seems fine.
(08-20-2015, 09:25 AM)Varanon link Wrote: [ -> ]Be careful with the script, it does, IIRC, alert all groups under it's control, resulting in almost all enemies coming in on you once you are detected

Are you refering to the UPSMON script?  I don't recall having these issues in my missions which utilise the script.
(08-21-2015, 06:57 AM)Imperator link Wrote: [ -> ]Are you refering to the UPSMON script?  I don't recall having these issues in my missions which utilise the script.

Yeah, Varanon is referring to UPSMON. I use to use it back in Arma 2. The issue is that if an AI is alerted, the whole crew will swarm you if they patrol the same area.

I wouldn't see it as a problem if you also have AI allies so there's more targets to pick from unless the script causes a drop in FPS that is.
Bear in mind that we use ASR AI and our settings dictate that they groups that are closer than 400 meters will be called as reinforcements. Would you like me to reduce the range?
Is there a way to tweak ASR settings from the mission itself ie. if ASR is present and this mission is running, ASR settings should be such and such?
(08-21-2015, 01:06 PM)Variable link Wrote: [ -> ]Bear in mind that we use ASR AI and our settings dictate that they groups that are closer than 400 meters will be called as reinforcements. Would you like me to reduce the range?
That explains this... https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f...=503391748

The 4 guys in the hanger (I deleted those guys on update) seem to have left their post and bunch there. There's 6 man patrols, but I thin them down to 4. The guys waiting outside (I deleted a few as well). Not sure about the guys who were suppose to take cover inside the main compound itself; I'm wondering if they arrive as well. I tried solo and checking, but it didn't seem to be the case, but I'm not sure. Maybe some of them arrived too, or could be guys from the barn... That mass clump was not my intention :o but I would love seeing a TBG-7 or OG-7 dropping on them.