Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Human commander and AI crewman?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What's "worse", having to command AI or 3-4 players dying when a vehicle is hit?

I'm trying to come up with a tank mission and one problem I have is that with each vehicle having 3 crewmen, the required player count jumps up exponentially and so does the  list of people spectating when the vehicle is inevitably destroyed.

On the other hand if each player commands a tank of two AI crew, the loss is the same as one player dying on foot and there can be a lot more tanks or other vehicles, but each players needs to know how to command the AI and I think most of players here struggle with that.
I think you can change seat while inside the vehicle too if someone doesn't feel like bothering with AIs all the time.
I'd prefer handling AI crewman Smile
Here's an idea. How about adding a small foot-mobile team for those who feel less confident in handling AI crewmen? Maybe allow these guys to handle artillery support and CAS.
(10-05-2015, 10:02 AM)Variable link Wrote:I'd prefer handling AI crewman Smile
Here's an idea. How about adding a small foot-mobile team for those who feel less confident in handling AI crewmen? Maybe allow these guys to handle artillery support and CAS.

I think my post disappeared. I know what you're replying to because I posted it last night, but it's not there.
:o
Sorry, I splitted it to a new topic and replied like an idiot in the original mission making thread. Here you go.
That was one glitch in the Matrix.  Tongue

I would add a small infantry team, but that just makes it mech inf. I'll do two missions, one of each and we'll see how it plays out.
I have experimental closet mission with tanks where one officer commands AI tanks in High Command mode and player run tanks are limited in numbers, only 1-2 or, one Bradley for armored recon and small infantry recce team designating targets, etc. 

High command mode works surprisingly well. You cannot really micromanage them, like in rl you cannot micromanage other platoons, but it also means you can't do a thing if they get stuck and runs against the wall for a hour. I would not recommend this in any urban grid, but if you are using open desert style map, HC-mode works quite well.
Don't tanks just need driver and gunner really, with commander not strictly necessary? Even then it seems it could be tricky with one player, as he probably needs to be gunner to increase the chances of spotting and killing the enemy but then you have to rely on the AI to drive and I'm not sure how easy it is to get him to go (or stop) where you want. Swapping seats is an option but then you can't keep an eye out for enemies.

So I'm not really sure at the moment.
I have to say that handling an AI driver is a most straight forward and simple feature. Just use the AWSD controls, for forward, right, left and backwards. Just remember that it turns to the right/left as long as you keep the button pressed. To be hones, I find it more reliable and responsive than commanding a human driver.
As long as the joysticks on my controller doesn't get touch while gunning, I should be fine. Otherwise, the joysticks mapped to WASD will make the AI go fubar. I guess for vehicles, you can stop and shoot with the AI driver so it should be fine since you'll want to stop a bit and take aim to shoot to make the shots count. Offroads and cars on the other hand, I rather have a human player even offroads that are armed (since you can see easier in a car than an APC so player can respond faster). APCs it can either. I can just switch seats if I want with the AI really fast too. Some tank commanders have a gun while others don't.
(10-05-2015, 11:59 PM)Variable link Wrote: [ -> ]I have to say that handling an AI driver is a most straight forward and simple feature. Just use the AWSD controls, for forward, right, left and backwards. Just remember that it turns to the right/left as long as you keep the button pressed. To be hones, I find it more reliable and responsive than commanding a human driver.
Lol. I was going to say I have enough trouble getting humans to listen to me Wink

It sounds straightforward enough then. I guess I might want to swap into the driver occasionally, to hide the vehicle precisely behind a rock or something but most of the time commanding the AI from the gunners seat should suffice. Can the gunner pop countermeasures or would you have to swap to commander for that?
Oh cool with firing from vehicle we can turn out and shoot from the tanks and throw grenades too. *Thinks about popping out the tank with an AA12 HE for a chopper right above the nose of my gun sometimes*

You have to switch to commander for countermeasure. I don't switching a few is too problematic. A bit quicker than waiting for player driver to respond. I think AI control driver for armor is nicer though player control soft cars are better IMO since a dumb AI can break a wheel in your car and you have greater vision in a car and easier to manuever when you can see whereas armor is harder to see, so harder for players to respond, plus armor won't get wreck if AI crash a couple trees or something (and you can switch seats in a vehicle, not so much in car from driver to gunner and vice versa.).

EDIT: Just tried using WASD for AI driver and it's really really convenient. AD for left and right turns as far as you hold it and stops turning as you release. WS for forward backward, just tap to either go forward, go forward fast, slow down, stop, go backward, go backward fast etc. If you need precise positioning, just switch to AI driver and take over. If you need countermeasure, switch to commander, pop some smokes, then back to whatever and go from there. Plus if your AI commander has a gun, he can help you mow down a few infantries Smile . Sometimes, AI see better than players on certain situations where your peripheral vision doesn't catch.
(10-06-2015, 04:48 AM)Phantom link Wrote: [ -> ]As long as the joysticks on my controller doesn't get touch while gunning, I should be fine. Otherwise, the joysticks mapped to WASD will make the AI go fubar. I guess for vehicles, you can stop and shoot with the AI driver so it should be fine since you'll want to stop a bit and take aim to shoot to make the shots count. Offroads and cars on the other hand, I rather have a human player even offroads that are armed (since you can see easier in a car than an APC so player can respond faster). APCs it can either. I can just switch seats if I want with the AI really fast too. Some tank commanders have a gun while others don't.
Do you use a controller to play arma? I tried that for fun on some of the campaign missions, never liked it but it was interesting.
I used a 360 controller mapped with xpadder to play Arma (only for vehicles). I mainly drive with a joystick and I will always fly with a joystick.

I use not to use xpadder but the new controller settings on Arma 3 sucks then they mess up the helicopter controls with Arma 2 new patch too. Before I had a trackball, I used controller for everything (including infantry movement).
Is flying easier with a joystick than keys? aiming certainly seems harder
Pages: 1 2