Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Will they ever fix the "moon physics"?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This has been grinding my gears for quite some time. In the latest Arma 3 Nexus update post the talk a bit about how they want to introduce a refined 'hitpoint-based' damage model.

They also mention that they want to improve reactions for when shots connect with their target. This all sounds great but after this latest update which is the Nexus update? No?

Well the problem is targets still do their spastic jerks when you hit them and when they die they bounce up in the air like it's a fuckin' spaghetti western. It looks ridiculous and as far as I can remember it was not like this in the alpha when soldiers just went limp and fell to the ground when killed.

As it is now they don't seem to have any weight to them and thus "moon physics" I don't know It just makes me sad that it's never fixed  :'(
There really should be animations for getting shot in different body parts, and death animations that play and THEN hand off to a ragdoll.

Bethesda/iD software's RAGE did a fantastic job at this. When you shot a guy e.g. in the leg, he would stumble forward, and it would look ultra-realistic if they died because they were playing real animations followed by a hand-off to a ragdoll. Just doing ragdolls makes them just collapse, which is usually not what you would see.

It would probably even be possible to do that in Arma. Even as a mod.
One of the biggest immersion breakers for me is the negative effects of the ragdoll system, to the point that I feel that the Arma 2 animation system was better, and would have been better off without it.
(12-02-2015, 06:19 PM)Alwarren link Wrote: [ -> ]There really should be animations for getting shot in different body parts, and death animations that play and THEN hand off to a ragdoll.

Bethesda/iD software's RAGE did a fantastic job at this. When you shot a guy e.g. in the leg, he would stumble forward, and it would look ultra-realistic if they died because they were playing real animations followed by a hand-off to a ragdoll. Just doing ragdolls makes them just collapse, which is usually not what you would see.

It would probably even be possible to do that in Arma. Even as a mod.

Yeah RAGE did this very good albeit a little bit too hollywoody. Once the unit is "dead" the ragdoll should take over but it needs some major improvements, mainly weight. They look like rubber men when they die right now.

Also when a unit takes a hit I would like to see them stop firing and seek cover before returning fire again, not just flinch and the keep firing from the same position like nothing happened. I guess we're talking about three different things here, animations, physics and AI.

If BIS chooses to focus on this and do it right I think there would be quite epic results. All and all I see great potential but it need a lot of work
Wasn't ACE supposed to improve on the ragdolls?
(12-03-2015, 01:28 PM)Alwarren link Wrote: [ -> ]Wasn't ACE supposed to improve on the ragdolls?

Yes it is. I don't know how far they've gotten with it though. Haven't tested it much. Found this video from back in April. Definitely not perfect but way better than vanilla in my opinion

That is much better.
much much better.

this was shown as a related video, looks promising as well ... but the lastupdate was last year ... will probably have to test if it still works
Yeah, problem with that mod is that they "stand up" to die if they are crouched
(12-03-2015, 02:16 PM)UnNamedGER link Wrote: [ -> ]this was shown as a related video, looks promising as well ... but the lastupdate was last year ... will probably have to test if it still works

Yeah, problem with that mod is that they "stand up" to die if they are crouched  ???
I wonder if it is possible to lift that stuff out of ACE and only use that. They've got it open sourced anyway.
(12-03-2015, 03:08 PM)Alwarren link Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if it is possible to lift that stuff out of ACE and only use that. They've got it open sourced anyway.
If you'd do that, you'll be our hero.
(12-03-2015, 03:08 PM)Alwarren link Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if it is possible to lift that stuff out of ACE and only use that. They've got it open sourced anyway.

Well I just downloaded the latest ACE and it has ragdoll as a separate PBO and BSIGN. What that means or if it's good I have no idea
Naw it has dependencies, I looked at the source code. Could be isolated though, but then Ondrej said that basically their stuff is already included in vanilla.

I just wish they would lose the jerking when they get hit, instead play some sort gesture depending on hitpoint affected.
(12-03-2015, 05:30 PM)Alwarren link Wrote: [ -> ]Naw it has dependencies, I looked at the source code. Could be isolated though, but then Ondrej said that basically their stuff is already included in vanilla.

I just wish they would lose the jerking when they get hit, instead play some sort gesture depending on hitpoint affected.

Well as I mentioned on the chat, the dev branch post Ondrej referenced is from early September and clearly the ragdoll is nowhere near ACE. Maybe they took some cues from it but not nearly enough IMO
Played quite a few hours last night to get a proper feel for the new "stamina" system (Not to be discussed here). I shot a CSAT soldier with a MXM rifle at around 300m. When he died his whole body lifted up in the air doing a classic spaghetti western backflip.

Conclusion; Problem is still very much there and I don't think BIS changed anything or took any inspiration from ACE
Pages: 1 2