Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Map making
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

Just wanted to know if anyone hear can recommend any map making tutorials online, I have found a few but not sure if they are any good.... seems like it takes a lot of messing around to make a simple map... which I am happy to do, unless there is a better way.

I will be happy to draw out the map myself, adding hills etc... instead of using a heightmap... (like the terrain editor in unity3D if anyone has tried it)... or is the only option using height maps
(01-25-2016, 02:14 AM)treendy link Wrote: [ -> ]I will be happy to draw out the map myself, adding hills etc... instead of using a heightmap... (like the terrain editor in unity3D if anyone has tried it)... or is the only option using height maps

Personally, I don't think that will be very realistic. I do know Zargabad was done in Blender using sculpting, but I believe he still worked with a height map as raw material.

I really would recommend using either real satellite data, or L3DT or similar program.

You could try designing a small section of the area where you live as practice before you start with your idealized Arma map.
Yeah, if youre gonna attempt terrain making, make something small and simple first, like A2 Proving Grounds or A1 Porto.
These articles are making me think that I may be able to use unity, the run a tool to convert my terrain to a heightmap.

Using random brushes etc.. will help make the map look realistic (this way can setup areas to ideal battle grounds)

But yes, will start with something very small, just to make sure it works

Thanks all : )