Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Campaign CO@12: Island Thunder 2 (Operation Powderburn)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Welcome to Island Thunder 2: Operation Powder Burn.

Situation:
Guinea-Bissau, the world's fifth poorest country, has become a textbook example of the African "narco-state". Situated on the west coast of Africa, its relative proximity to South America, its unpatrolled coastline, islands and islets, and the fact that the majority of the natives speak Portuguese, Guinea-Bissau has been increasingly targeted by South American drug lords as a preferred traffic hub for European-bound cocaine, according to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC).

Increased U.S. drug enforcement protecting U.S border and interdiction in Latin America along with a falling dollar and a surging demand for cocaine on the streets of Europe, is leading to political and economic chaos across West Africa, where international narco-traffickers have established their most recent, and lucrative, staging grounds. In fact, the drug trade is fast turning large parts of the region into areas that are all but ungovernable with major implications for international security. The problem is so severe that it is threatening to bring about the collapse of Guinea-Bissau where weak and corrupt governments have been vulnerable to the corrosive influence of drug money. Part of the problem, is that the value of the drug trade entering the country, where about 6 grams of cocaine is roughly equal to the average annual salary, is far higher than its entire national income. Though cocaine has been smuggled through West Africa for most of the last decade, the trade has increased sharply in recent years, as a result of high unemployment and a largely corrupt law enforcement.

In June 2014, Jose Mario Vaz took over as caretaker for the presidential office, and at great risk to his life, has vowed to bring about changes to the country starting with democratic elections in 2016 and ridding the government and island nation of crime and corruption. He has called on the United Nations to provide support.

Operations:
The Ghosts, consisting of an international coalition of special forces predominantly from Europe and the US, have been deployed to help safeguard the first democratic elections that Guinea-Bissau has seen since Jose Mario Vaz took over as caretaker president in June 2014. After a decade of coups and corruption, the President has vowed to clean up the government and give the nation a prosperous and peaceful future. That won't be easy given foreign interests in the cocaine trade, however, elections are going to occur in May 2016 and the Ghosts primary objectives are, firstly, to make sure that they go off without a hitch, and secondly, to put an end to the narcotics trade in Guinea-Bissau.

?Execution:
Operation Powderburn will see the Ghosts stationed at an unknown location within Lingor Isles, a group of islands off the coast of Guinea-Bissay conducting a series of missions aimed at neutralizing African militia involved in the drugs trade, destroying narcotics infrastructure, seizing contraband including weapons and narcotics and providing support and protection to the interim government. 

Mission 01: Harvest Glow - Viper One must seize cargo drops containing suspected contraband.
Mission 02: Emerald Angel - Viper One must raid a remote airfield used by cartel.
Mission 03: Ivory Serpent - Viper One must seize a cocaine shipment and destroy a fishing trawler.
Mission 04 - Hammer Blade - Viper One is tasked with a search and rescue for downed chopper.
Mission 05 - Jagged Moon - Viper One must rescue pilots held in captivity.
Mission 06 - Bronze Hornet - Eliminate HVT and clear a Militia Training Camp.

Addon Requirements
CBA3
CUP everything
RHS Escalation
Lingor
Panthera (dependency for Lingor)
01 - Harvest Glow

Briefing:
Ghost team, you are here to help safeguard the first democratic elections that Guinea-Bissau has seen since Mr. Jose Mario Vaz took office in June 2014. After a decade of coups and corruption, the caretaker President has vowed to clean up the government and give the nation a prosperous and peaceful future.

That won't be easy given foreign interests in maintaining a lucrative cocaine trade through this region, however, elections are going to occur in June 2016 and our job is to make sure that they go off without a hitch. What that means is you've been volunteered to make sure elements opposing the changes don't get a chance to win the elections at gunpoint.

Your callsign for this campaign is Viper One and your first assignment is a contraband seizure. One of our patrol helicopters spotted a light cargo plane dropping a few suspicious-looking crates on the north island near Conoteta. The chopper crew was briefly able to drive off the men moving towards the crates, but were forced to break off after taking small arms fire. We need to be on the ground to secure those drops and seeing as the troops trying to haul those crates off look a lot like the paramilitary forces who've been reported bullying voters in a few of the towns, we're not taking any chances.

Your orders for this mission are simple. You'll be inserted by chopper south of Conoteta at an abandoned farm and proceed on foot to the objectives. Secure all cargo drops and take control of a compound at Villa Gomez. Be sure to steer clear of the village itself as we've assured the President that will make best efforts to avoid civilian casualties. And remember, once you hit the ground things will be happening in a hurry so you will need to move fast to intercept those drops.

Mission:
Viper One will insert south of the objectives and proceed on foot to seize cargo drops and secure the compound at Villa Gomez and are clear to eliminate any resistance.
Viper One will radio for chopper extraction once all objectives are complete.

What are the mod requirements ? Except Lingor
Glad you have some missions for us to enjoy Lighty! If you get the chance, on your next update, I'd appreciate if you could follow our mission naming format, see here: http://ciahome.net/forum/mission-release...standards/

Uploading missions! We still need to add Lingor to the server, though.
Will update mission names for next upload
Completed first mission. I liked it and lingor is a nice map. Maybe it could have a few more enemies or inserted a little closer.

Can't wait for the next ones :>
Feedback on Mission 1:
- Walk was a bit on the long side since there wasn't much happening.
- Some enemies spawned right on top of us, literally.
- Extraction chopper took off without us in it
- Beach area was completely clean. We could basiially walk up to the packages
- A few more enemies would be good, resistance was very light.

Other than that, very nice mission, atmosphere was great and a nice location. Looking forward to episode 2 Smile
Thanks for the feedback, I will check out those things.
I had a feeling enemies might be light on for two full squads so can increase that and also sort out the beach front easily.
Chopper extraction I will have to look at - was actually planning for chopper to show up and slowly fade out to mission complete so that it wouldn't fly away.
I would say hold off on the other missions until I make some tweaks on numbers of AI.
Just on the walking bit. Ithat was a design decision to create that feeling of trekking through the jungle.
But I might consider shortening the hike.
Personally, I didn't feel there was too much walking.
Please replace uploaded missions with 2 new ones in attachment.
This includes revised Mission 1 with more AI and a chopper extraction.
and
Mission 2 with more AI.
Updated on the server. Missions three and four good to go? Why did you remove them from the OP?
firstly becoz they weren't in the correct naming format.
secondly, because after the revisions to mission 1, I realized that I needed to add more AI to all missions plus fix up chopper extractions.
so better to release a mission for testing, fix it, then rerelease it and add the next mission.
hope that makes sense
(03-11-2016, 07:26 PM)Lightspeed link Wrote: [ -> ]firstly becoz they weren't in the correct naming format.
secondly, because after the revisions to mission 1, I realized that I needed to add more AI to all missions plus fix up chopper extractions.
so better to release a mission for testing, fix it, then rerelease it and add the next mission.
hope that makes sense
Got it. So should we complete mission 2, we will hold with 3 and 4 until you update them. Thanks!
Yep exactly.
Test mission 2.
New missions 3,4,5 & 6 will be weekly released as the feedback on each mission comes through.

Pages: 1 2 3 4