Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Monitor recommendations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've got a bit of spare cash and I'm finding myself squinting at my 24" Dell U2412M so I want to get a 32" monitor.

The Dell is 16:10 1920x1200 and it's nice having the extra height but I doubt I'm going to find a new monitor in that ratio, so I'll probably just have to accept that and get a 16:9.

I don't want to spend silly money so I'm looking at Freesync rather than G-Sync. I've got a 1070ti so ideally a Freesync monitor that's known to work with Nvidia cards. I don't play twitch/competitive games (couldn't even if I wanted to as I get pretty bad motion sickness with a lot of games) so don't need super-low latency and I think VA panels have the edge for black levels over IPS. When I replaced my Dad's old IPS with a VA it was much easier to see stars/lights in the sky during night flights in X-Plane, so I definitely want a VA panel.

Height adjustability would be good but I'll probably buy a monitor arm, so as long as it has VESA mounting it doesn't really matter.

Not sure whether 4K 60hz or 2K 100/144hz would be best. I don't expect to be able to play games at 4K with my GPU but of course I might upgrade that at some point. As long as the monitor upscales well from 1080p/2K then that'll be fine. 4K might be useful for productivity, by being able to have more windows visible on screen at once.

I guess 2K 100/144hz is mostly useful for twitch/competive gamers so it probably doesn't have any advantage for me over 4K 60hz but maybe I'm wrong.

What would you recommend?
doveman Wrote:Not sure whether 4K 60hz or 2K 100/144hz would be best. I don't expect to be able to play games at 4K with my GPU but of course I might upgrade that at some point

I have a 1070, and I can play most stuff in 4K. Arma 3 works fine in 4K 100 % coverage, as well as most other modern games like X-Plane etc. Only thing I reduce to HD is DCS, because I want maximum view distance.

I have a Samsung U28E590, 28 ", 4K, which was pretty cheap (Goes for 270 Euro these days). With DisplayPort, you can adapt the black levels so that it is really black and not grey.

Overall, I really like the monitor, it also has Freesync but doesn't work with the 1070.

Probably not exactly what you are looking for, but maybe you want to look into it.
Thanks Varanon, I'll look into that one.

I think I'll probably need a 32", as 28" doesn't seem much bigger than my current 24" when I measure it but I'll try and find a store where I can see some in person to compare the sizes.