Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
Nicknames Origins - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: CiA Coop Nights (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Nicknames Origins (/showthread.php?tid=1171)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Re: Nicknames Origins - Variable - 03-30-2014

Always glad to hear nicknames origins! Welcome aboard.

Re: Nicknames Origins - ck-claw - 03-30-2014

Welcome to the forums Lainncli  8)

Re: Nicknames Origins - doveman - 03-30-2014

Welcome Lainncli. This whole thread is about the meaning behind our nicknames, so your little history lesson on the meaning behind your real name is quite appropriate, nothing nerdy about that  Big Grin

Re: Nicknames Origins - Watchmen - 09-09-2014

I was always intrigued by a famous literary detective. In superior Spiderman 27 when doc ock realizes his drone army was hacked by the green goblin and used against him, it occurred to me how powerful and formidable observation was as an asset, this was shortly followed by Spiderman returning to life. Watchmen was the name I knew immediately suited me.

Re: Nicknames Origins - Variable - 09-09-2014

(09-09-2014, 01:52 PM)Watchmen link Wrote:I was always intrigued by a famous literary detective. In superior Spiderman 27 when doc ock realizes his drone army was hacked by the green goblin and used against him, it occurred to me how powerful and formidable observation was as an asset, this was shortly followed by Spiderman returning to life. Watchmen was the name I knew immediately suited me.
Cool. Why in the plural form?

Re: Nicknames Origins - Watchmen - 09-10-2014

Oh I forgot to mention, the drone army was an army of tiny spider robots with cameras that saw everything in the city, behind doors and under every rock. Men means many not one.

Re: Nicknames Origins - Phantom - 09-10-2014

I thought you got Watchmen from Watchmen the End is Nigh xD

I see.

Re: Nicknames Origins - Llauma - 09-10-2014

In my mid teens I and a few friends started a band. We fixed a gig at an event for local bands but we still had not come up with a name for the band. Right before we were supposed to get on the stage the presenter came to us and asked what we were called. Before anyone else in the band got a chance to open their mouths I said Llauma with two L's. I honestly don't know where I got it from, it just popped up in my head. In lack of better ideas we decided to keep it. As a side note, Lauma with one L means herd in Finnish.

The band didn't last for long but the name Llauma got stuck with me. When I created a profile in OFP back in 2001 I chose Llauma.

Later I've googled it and it seems like it's the Catalan version of James which is the English version of Iacomus which derives from the Hebrew name Ya´agov (Jacob). Even though of its Catalan counterpart I don't pronounce it as Jauma but with a normal L.

Re: Nicknames Origins - Variable - 09-10-2014

Nice Smile
(Ya'acov)

Re: Nicknames Origins - Valhalian - 09-11-2014

I've been here at the forums for a while now, but haven't described my nickname yet, so I thought I might do that now Smile

When I started playing multiplayer games, which was actually not over the internet but at LAN parties Big Grin , I was using all kinds of nicks. At the time I was really into norse mythology and was trying to come up with something noble and strong Tongue Valhalla was the place where the norse heroes spent their eternity, so someone from Valhalla would be a valhallian. At the time I somehow omitted the second 'L' so it became Valhalian. Ive been using that nickname for some 15 or more years Smile

Re: Nicknames Origins - Watchmen - 09-11-2014

(09-11-2014, 10:16 AM)Valhalian link Wrote:I've been here at the forums for a while now, but haven't described my nickname yet, so I thought I might do that now Smile

When I started playing multiplayer games, which was actually not over the internet but at LAN parties Big Grin , I was using all kinds of nicks. At the time I was really into norse mythology and was trying to come up with something noble and strong Tongue Valhalla was the place where the norse heroes spent their eternity, so someone from Valhalla would be a valhallian. At the time I somehow omitted the second 'L' so it became Valhalian. Ive been using that nickname for some 15 or more years Smile

That...is remarkably similar to that halo 3 map Vahalla

Re: Nicknames Origins - kutya - 09-11-2014

I was wondering about some of yours, so a couple mysteries less.

Mine is really dumb. It means dog in Hungarian. I like dogs, but that isn't really the reason, I like cats too. Actually I wanted something dumb Big Grin . Since it's a really common word, I have trouble registering at places, so sometimes I use "sobaka" which is the same in Russian. Russian, because I was playing Il2 Sturmovik (Russian plane) at that time. Since that is common too, I add 23 when needed, dunno why, I just like that number. Despite the practical problems, I don't really feel like changing my nick. It settled, so it stays.

And over time, it became entertaining listening people trying to pronounce it Smile Like I know to speak English Smile

Re: Nicknames Origins - Alwarren - 09-12-2014

(09-11-2014, 09:50 PM)kutya link Wrote:I was wondering about some of yours, so a couple mysteries less.

Mine is really dumb. It means dog in Hungarian. I like dogs,

Wait... Dog... Hound? is this how you look ?
[Image: Sandor-Clegane-sandor-clegane-25368584-248-348.jpg]

Re: Nicknames Origins - kutya - 09-12-2014

(09-12-2014, 01:29 AM)Alwarren link Wrote:is this how you look ?

Sorry, but I don't get it.

Re: Nicknames Origins - Alwarren - 09-12-2014

(09-12-2014, 01:40 AM)kutya link Wrote:Sorry, but I don't get it.
The Hound is a character from "A song of ice and Fire" who's banner is three Dogs and who likes dogs. Hound is just anther word for dog.

Never mind, bad attempt at humor :-)