Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
co@_12_bas_kwoal_genocide.bas_i1 - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Mission Making (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: co@_12_bas_kwoal_genocide.bas_i1 (/showthread.php?tid=1297)

co@_12_bas_kwoal_genocide.bas_i1 - Post - 01-11-2008

Working name: Kwoal Genocide

[Image: genocide.jpg]

Briefing (under construction):
Quote:The minority Guwalt tribe populating the urban areas on Tonal has started rebelling against the dominant Kwoal tribe, consisting of subsistance farmers. Government backed Guwalt deathsquads have started murdering, raping and plundering against the Kwoal villagers on the West part of Tonal. Stop them from commiting genocide against the innocent Kwoal villagers at any cost.

This mission is a race against the clock. You're located on a military base near the Kwoal dominated West part of the island. We have assigned ten possible target areas where the Guwalt deathsquads are likely to strike. Radio command will inform you of enemy movements, but this will be a last minute warning so acting fast is required in order to save innocent lives.

Notes (under construction):
Quote:Mission by [CiA]Postduifje

Praise, comments, constructive criticism or cussing to: post@ciahome.net

Music by ...

It is possible to repair small damages to your choppers with the 'Repair chopper' action.

Mission ends in failure when over [#]% of civilian population in the region has been killed
Mission ends in succes when ...

Objectives:
Quote:Protect the villages from the deathsquads

Main Features (scripts ready):
- Randomness, in time delays between attacks and target area's (which towns are attacked primarily). Once the civilian population of a particular town has been eliminated the deathsquad moves to the next town.
- Radio (Papa Bear) informing when a deathsquad is detected near a town
- Radio (Papa Bear) informing when all villagers of a certain town are killed
- Markers, changing color (red when enemy present, black when not) and type (exclamation mark when civilians still present, X (MarkerType = "marker") when not)
- Hints when certain percentage of civilians still alive is reached (currently 80% ,60% ,50%, 25%, 0%)
- Repair action to repair small damages to the littlebirds (up to damage 0.5)

What I need is:
Balance: There are quite some variables which can easily be changed in order to achieve the right balance, such as:
- Amount of players (currently 12)
- Amount of player teams (currently 2)
- Transportation (currently 2 armed Littlebirds)
- Amount of possible targets (currently 10)
- Amount of civilians per target (currently 6)
- Amount of deathsquads, primarily attacking an equal number of towns (currently 6)
- Amount of units per deathsquad (currently 9)
- Composition of the deathsquad (currently only infantry, no AT/AA). I'm thinking about adding jeeps, still in doubt about AT/AA
- Base delay: time untill the first action starts (I was thinking on 5 minutes orso)
- Fixed delay: static delay between attacks (I was thinking on 3 minutes orso)
- Variable delay: additional delay, random number between 0 an x (I was thinking on 1 minute orso)
(this would mean the first strike is after 5-6 minutes, and the next 3-4 minutes later and so on)
Mission definitions:
- When mission ends in succes. Still no clue, maybe a percentage of enemies killed, but this is tricky as they are constantly on the move and can be between towns for quite some time
- When mission ends in failure (besides all players getting killed), a percentage of civilians killed (currently 50%)
Target naming: Easy way for players to find out exactly which town is under attack (currently 'town1' till 'town10'). I've been thinking about adding geographical directions to it such as 'town 5 (SW)'.
Intro: nice little intro with some classy music Wink
Testing: A lot depends on the infinite stupidity of the AI, both enemies and civilian. AI has dificulties in the mangroves and swamps and on bridges. They often drown themselves, fall to death of a bridge or are unable to enter camps and villages. Some area's are avoided because of this.
Probably some more things I haven't thought of

Re: co@_12_bas_kwoal_genocide.bas_i1 - TonyMarony - 01-12-2008

hey post!

that sounds cool! When will we be permitted to see this peace of leathal Action?

Re: co@_12_bas_kwoal_genocide.bas_i1 - Post - 01-12-2008

I think it will take a while to get this one fully operational. Pretty much all the points in the 'What I need' part need some work.

I added a feature to repair small damages to the littlebirds, up to a damage of 0.5. As much depends on the transportation, this could greatly increase the chances of success and prevent lame failure because of broken choppers while all players are still alive.

The triggers got a bit complex because I didn't want repairing in mid-air to be possible, so now it sometimes has multiple 'Repair chopper' actions if you enter and leave damaged choppers. This is not very important, but I'll try to find a way to avoid this later on.

Re: co@_12_bas_kwoal_genocide.bas_i1 - Post - 01-14-2008

I'm making progress. The town names are now redefined with a (more logical) numbers and direction using a combination of the signs [N,S,E,W,C]. Mission definitions are choosable in the mission setup by two parameters; Civilian survival (in order for not to fail) and Enemy kill target (in order to succeed). Defaults are respectively 50% and 95%.

I'll try to make a short intro tomorrow and do some basic testing, so maybe we can give it a try on wednesday Smile

Re: co@_12_bas_kwoal_genocide.bas_i1 - Post - 01-26-2008

Okay, there's a working version of the mission on the server and added it to the missionlist. Everything seems to be working, but I really don't know if this concept is any fun, it might as well be a really lousy mission. We'll just have to try I guess Wink

Re: co@_12_bas_kwoal_genocide.bas_i1 - Post - 01-28-2008

So, what did you guys think? Apart from the failing end trigger, the missions seemed to work reasonably well, but was it any fun?

I'm afraid I died during our first attack so I missed most of the mission, including the hints and PAPA BEAR information system.

Some suggestions I encountered or picked up during the play:
  • Maybe split the players further into 4 teams of 3, still with only 2 little bird transports though
  • Include an explanation of the marker system in the notes section
  • Add hints when a town is cleared so the team can start moving immediately
  • Add all players to the spectator script so you can follow the other team once you're dead

Anything else?

edit: Oh yeah, I added this to the site's project function to try that out Wink

Re: co@_12_bas_kwoal_genocide.bas_i1 - Pulverizer - 01-29-2008

It can be done with minimal civilian losses how it is currently set up I think, now that we know what to expect. It will require some rather unrealistic tactics though because the attacks happen so fast.

If we try it again I'd a) transport one guy to each town or b) have 4 two-man teams in the remote towns (5,6,8,10) and 2 two-man chopper teams patrolling the 6 middle towns.

a) would require 10 players, b) 12 players

Re: co@_12_bas_kwoal_genocide.bas_i1 - Post - 01-29-2008

I guess when you're faced with a thread of possible attacks on multiple small civilian targets, it's not that unrealistic to set up small outposts in all villages or at least in the ones where you cannot rapidly deploy your mobile forces...

So I guess your tactics seem to be pretty plausible, but I'm afraid you will be disappointed in their outcome though.

For starters, there's simply no time to transport your troops to all those different locations. On sunday, we started patrolling the closest villages right away, but never got any further than 2 locations before the attacks began. And we didn't even land there...

Second, by leaving 1 man on each village, a single player has to face a minimum of 9 enemy infantry coming from a random direction while some others are faced with nothing until the enemies actually finished some villages and started moving on to the next, which is too late. leaving players at a selection of towns is like playing Russian roulette, as those villages will not be attacked at all if you're unlucky.

I think our tactics weren't that bad at all, except sending both teams to the village which was attacked first. That resulted in being late at the second strike which wiped out the entire village.

Re: co@_12_bas_kwoal_genocide.bas_i1 - Variable - 07-09-2008

Hi Post. We did download the mission again, but still had weapons on back when disembark from the choppers. Moreover, seems like all of us crashed during the mission. Too bad, i think we were close to completing it... Anything you can do? I love this mission!

Re: co@_12_bas_kwoal_genocide.bas_i1 - Post - 07-10-2008

Apparently it didn't save the mission right. I changed it again and uploaded the mission. I tested it and it works fine now. As for the crash, I have now idea what causes that. I was there when it crashed last week, did it crash again last night? I was hoping it was just a server crash, but two crashes in two plays is suspicious. Anyone have any idea what could cause this?

Re: co@_12_bas_kwoal_genocide.bas_i1 - lenin - 10-14-2008

Why is this mission never played? At what point does it crash (I have never played it)?

Re: co@_12_bas_kwoal_genocide.bas_i1 - Post - 10-25-2008

I'm not quite sure if it is actually the mission which causes the crash, as it only happened 2 times that I know of. If it does, then I have no clue as to what causes it, nothing structural happened during the two I witnessed.

I think it's safe to try it again if you like, please report here how things went. If it's busted, I'll try to simplify it a bit like replacing the JAM3 units and work around something with the scripts. However, that'll have to wait till Christmas as I don't do a lot of editing here in Tanzania ;-)

Re: co@_12_bas_kwoal_genocide.bas_i1 - Variable - 10-25-2008

I think it happened more than twice.. at least three or four times. But I am more than willing to give it another try.