Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
[CiA] OFP : Completed missions - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: CiA Coop Nights (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: [CiA] OFP : Completed missions (/showthread.php?tid=1391)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Re: Completed missions - Variable - 10-15-2009

(10-15-2009, 02:42 AM)RKDmitriyev link Wrote: Not sure if this is the right thread, but I had a great time today with Anguis, Viking, and Misha. Viking and I first played a short mission as practice--it ended with my suicidally charging a T55, sticking a satchel charge next to it, and then blowing it up. It actually worked, T55 died, but a resistance infantryman must have shot me a few seconds later. Viking had been killed earlier, so mission failed. D:

This is the right thread indeed, feel free to use to tell your stories. I enjoyed them. Sounds liike you had a good time, I can even recognize several of the missions Smile

Re: Completed missions - Post - 10-15-2009

Damn, you got me excited, I need to come play again soon!

Maybe sunday... I hope

Re: Completed missions - Anguis - 10-15-2009

@Kurtz: The write-ups are great reading - keep them coming in the future!

Re: Completed missions - RKDmitriyev - 10-15-2009

Thank you, non-fiction writing is my special-ity.

Re: Completed missions - RKDmitriyev - 10-18-2009

Another fun time on the server today, this time with Grip and Delaney. Delaney and I tried to get a game going, but his connection kept fumbling. This was probably just as well, because I was fumbling with figuring out how being an admin works. Tongue

Fortunately Grip arrived just in time to save the day. First mission was "Frog Fishing," with Grip as team leader (and admin). A group of NATO Black Ops try to steal an Su-25 Frogfoot off of a small island with an airfield. After hitting the beaches we shredded through the Russian infantry in a camp to the east of the airfield and grabbed rockets. An alarm sounded and an enemy Mi-17 was deployed. Now we had to cross a large open field to get to the hangar and the Frogfoot. This didn't work out so well. Shortly after I destroyed a Shilka facing away from us, an enemy squad started shooting at us from about 250 meters behind and to our right. There were a few soldiers in a copse of trees in front of us, as well. At such range, it was hard to hit the enemy with our silenced M16s, and they could put out a much greater volume of fire. Grip and I were killed in quick succession. Delaney survived for a few more minutes, but the spectator system confused me and I didn't see how he died.

We decided it would be fun to try the mission again. Once again, we massacred the infantry at the camp and grabbed rockets. Rather than moving through the open, we took advantage of the dip in the ground next to the coast. This time, no Russian squad showed up behind us. This was a relief, but after emerging back onto the field, we found that the copse of trees between us and our objective was occupied with many enemies, including machine gunners. Once again, we proned or knelt and exchanged fire with them at extreme range.

Delaney was killed. Grip and I retreated back onto the coast. We moved further west, taking us closer to the copse without being in its line of sight. As we moved up onto the flatland, a Russian squad came into view about 75 meters front of us. At this range, our silenced weapons and quick mouse clicking were more effective. We slaughtered the Russians and I fired on the Shilka with my RPG. I missed both shots, and I was deathly afraid that it would turn around and wipe us out. But it didn't, and Grip nailed it with his launcher. We called in air support, moved up to the hangar and observed an empty Shilka on its west side. Grip boarded as driver and I manned the guns. We approached the Frogfoot. I carefully wiped out the adjacent infantry--can't let Shilka bullets hit the plane! Grip told me to shoot down the "hind," and I guess he was using the term loosely to refer to the patrolling Mi17. But I was confused, and by the time I figured out what he was talking about, the gunship was hurling rockets at us! Luckily, between my fire and that of a supporting AH1, the Mi17 was shot down without hitting us.

Grip drove the Shilka up to the plane and hopped out to commandeer it. He noticed that the Mi17 that I shot down was now obstructing the runway! I drove over to the wreck--it took a while because of my incompetent Shilka-driving skills. Finally I sent that Mi17 wreck skidding away from the runway with Shilka cannons. I drove back to an empty Hind. Grip and I took off at the same time and flew circuitously back to base to avoid additional AA. We made it back to friendly airspace...and then...mission failed!!?? Apparently Grip had a "rough landing" at our base. Tongue

Pfffft, HQ is so picky about the condition of captured enemy hardware. We had had enough of that mission. Next up was Clean Sweep, WGL-style. I went for an M249 SAW, and Delaney carried a LAW. Grip led again. We advanced up to the plateau on which Montignac is located and killed the Russian guards. Waves of infantry spilled piecemeal toward us, in front and off to the right. We wiped them all out. After all the infantry dumb enough to march into our kill zone were dead, we advance to the closest building. I thought it would be a good idea to cover the left flank of that building. As I moved into the bushes on the left, I caught a split second glimpse of prone Russian infantry that I could probably have spat onto (can you do that in WGL?). They shot me after that split second. D'oh!  From inside the building, Grip and Delaney killed off more infantry.

A moving BMP was audible but not visible. Grip looked around. Russians hiding somewhere shot at him but couldn't score a hit. The two regrouped and moved northwest, in between two buildings. The BMP sounded closer, but no enemies were visible. Delaney got his LAW out. Finally it popped onto the street and drove right past our heroes! It didn't open fire, and Delaney was looking in the wrong direction. Some infantry did finally open fire, though. Delaney and Grip were both killed by a rifle grenade.  Sad

Next we loaded a mission with a novel for a briefing book (I know, look who's talking). We were crashed Spetznaz in some kind of fundamentalist Christian dystopia, and were supposed to find Russian spy contacts. Grip wasn't able to load the mission and had to disconnect. I took over as leader--or should have, but the game didn't agree, apparently thinking that Grip was still leading. We couldn't find the "spies" anyway. We got fed up and and loaded Hostage Rescue instead.

With Grip still unavailable, it was just Delaney and I to rescue the hostages and Entre Deux. He led this time, and I carried LAW. We snuck up on the town from the west (I believe, I wasn't paying attention to map). We got very close and Delaney identified targets. He targeted me at an officer standing at the crossroads, and I fired the first shots. We wiped out a bunch of infantry at close range. I had to kill a few who snuck up on us from behind. Then a BMP showed up from behind them. With the LAW launcher, I should have been the one to kill it, but there were so many infantry around and its barrel was pointed right at me. So I cowered behind a tree, and then the BMP instead nailed Delaney with its main gun. I was killed about 30 seconds later by infantry. I consoled myself, figuring that we had been just two soldiers against a buttload of mechanized infantry.

And that was it. Grip came back but Delaney and I were both tired. Still had lots of fun, and looking forward to playing tomorrow. If this trend continues, I'm going to have to have multiple volumes for the next installment. Hope you all enjoyed this.  ;D

Re: Completed missions - Overlord - 10-18-2009

LOL, great reading

It's nicer to read novels in the forum than in briefing RK Smile
and BTW; No, you can't spit on enemies in WGL (you miss it?) Big Grin

Re: Completed missions - RKDmitriyev - 10-19-2009

Well, I played again yesterday. Only 1 1/2 missions, but with 8 people, it takes so much longer for everyone to die.  ;D It also makes it a little harder to keep track of who did what, so forgive me if I mix up details.

First mission had us as Russian Spetsnaz (I think I spell that differently every time) vs. resistance insurgents on Trinity island. Had to destroy an AA site, then move on to kill resistance in Totley. I made a handy-dandy Windows Paint map of the mission progress to illustrate (and help me remember). Hope you enjoy:

[Image: ofpmission.png]

We started at the Spetsnaz Camp in the east. Six of us were Spetsnaz infantry--I believe it was Overlord, Grip, Misha, Mikka, Ninja, and I. I was a medic and dutifully stayed behind out of imminent danger for most of the mission. Tongue There were also two pilots (Hawke & Gum I believe) to fly two Ka-50s as CAS.

Infantry boarded a BTR and drove NW to the forest near AA site. Our air support would be unavailable till we cleared it. We dismounted and entered the forest. Hill 105 gave us a pretty good view of the enemy position. They were around 20 infantry in a walled encampment (an old ranch?) with a single SAM vehicle and no armor. Naturally, we planned a careful attack. Our RPG soldier (sorry, can't remember who) nailed the SAM with one shot, and our rifles, grenadiers, and machine guns hosed down the infantry. We proned carefully toward the camp, using binocs to spot surviving infantry. I crawled a little behind. In this way, we cleansed the camp of enemies handily. I can't even remember if any enemies got off a shot at us; if they did, they didn't get off very many!

We marched into the blood-soaked camp and commandeered a ural truck, or "dzhural" depending on your accent. Tongue Our choppers took off, and we drove back onto the road. Most of us boarded BTR again, but Mikka (? sorry if incorrect) and I followed in the truck. No problems till we got to a bunch of ruined houses south of Totley. The BTR men dismounted. I didn't get a good look at what happened, but a resistance man must have been lying in wait. Overlord was shot. I asked if anyone was "hit," and when Overlord said he was, I offered to get out and heal him! I didn't realize he was dead. Tongue

After that, we all dismounted and advanced to a church. I believe Grip was in command at this point. The choppers were already shredding up most of the enemy in Totley with machine gun fire. We also picked off a few infantry at long range. We split up, with two of us back at the church to cover and three (including Grip and me) advancing to the western neighborhood of Totley. Grip killed a few insurgents in front of him. All seemed well...and then...pop! pop!

A sniper killed two of us, mere seconds apart, one at the church and the other with Grip and me.  :o I believe the casualties were Ninja and Mikka. (I didn't have time to check in those few seconds!). We all frantically searched for the sniper. Somehow my chat bar had received a contact at 5 o'clock. I turned around and equipped binoculars. I saw a man with a rifle prone, behind us, near the dirt road into Totley, around 200m distant. He was just sort of dancing around on the ground there. I couldn't be sure of the uniform! Shame on me, I know--my only excuse is that there are so many WGL models. I held fire and tried to describe him to the others. I remembered what happened when someone had shot Misha due to a wardrobe identification malfunction. Finally I heard Grip say, "Yep, that's an enemy!" and we both opened fire. Kill was credited to me, and that was my only one for this mission.  Wink The sniper must have snuck up behind us.

After that little firefight, Grip and I advanced into town. Grip killed the last few enemies--choppers had already gotten most of them. We got a "mission completed" bubble, and I was expecting it to end. Oh, that's right, we have to go back to base! Choppers were still reporting enemy contacts in the hills to the N, so we nervously retreated to the church. Misha, the survivor at the church, fetched the BTR. Grip boarded as gunner and I once again just rode in back.

Around Durras Heights as we returned I wondered out loud if there would be any surprises on the way back--a patrolling T80 would really put a damper on our BTR joyride. Well, there were no T80s. We drove up to our camp...I hit disembark...and...uh...I hit disembark again...nothing happened. Something was wrong. The BTR was frozen and none of us could get out. It seems there was a server error, too--from what I understood, some screens had us on the fence, others (including mine) had just us outside. The choppers landed again and the pilots tried to liberate us from bugs. No success. I just sat there for 5 minutes watching Misha's model carress the steering wheel. Maybe we all really did get shot by that sniper, and this was hell. We just had to end mission eventually.

Next we played Pilot Down on Occasus. I feel like I've typed enough for one sitting, and besides, I didn't see how the mission ended. We rendezvoused with pilots and crashed chopper was destroyed, despite the best efforts of the server to lag us into submission. (Unfortunately, it did succeed in killing Overlord and Anguis). But I was killed by a T80 before we could be extracted. I would have spectated, but family members wanted to use the connection space that my game was taking. Does anyone else want to finish the story?  Big Grin

Re: Completed missions - Misha - 10-19-2009

Weird bug in Spetsnaz Assault mission left me alone in debriefing screen, while others were trying to trigger end of mission for themselves. Funny thing is that I was still able to drive my vehicle while in debriefing, although my avatar was still ingame with others.

And for comrades who haven't seen it, here's debrief screen, lucky you for not being told to suck.

[Image: untitled1.jpg]

Re: Completed missions - Marto - 10-19-2009

Nice writeups Kurtz - I enjoyed reading them! The Spetsnaz attack mission sounded cool!

Re: Completed missions - RKDmitriyev - 10-19-2009

(10-19-2009, 05:11 PM)Misha link Wrote: Weird bug in Spetsnaz Assault mission left me alone in debriefing screen, while others were trying to trigger end of mission for themselves. Funny thing is that I was still able to drive my vehicle while in debriefing, although my avatar was still ingame with others.

So we did win...sort of. thx man

Re: Completed missions - Hawke - 10-20-2009

[Image: badmedicine.th.jpg]

Does it count?

Re: Completed missions - Overlord - 10-20-2009

;D

Re: Completed missions - RKDmitriyev - 10-22-2009

Didn't have quite as much fun today, mostly due to Acts of e-God. First mission had the server crash on all of us before we could even shoot anybody.

Second mission was laggy for me at least--you know, yellow box and skipping around &c. My brother was surfing around the internet at the same time. Maybe that was the problem. But he was just poking around some forums, and he assures me that the effect should be minor, and he's the computer geek.

As Delta Force, we got to a village where we were supposed to arm. After a few minutes of messing around, we were rudely interrupted by ambushing Tonal rebels. I wanted to say, "Hey! Not fair! You guys were supposed to wait for us to attack you!" They shot Marto and me. We must have waited too long at the village--hope it wasn't because of me. :o

At that point, my connection was still shaky, and I was feeling like I had low blood sugar, so I quit. Hope the rest of you guys had fun.  :-\

Re: Completed missions - Anguis - 10-22-2009

Well, I had us (E.P., Viking, and me; Misha had met his demise shortly after Marto and you, Kurtz) take the jeep up the hill, through the jungle a bit, and then out into the open - an open soon to be filled with tangos, unfortunately. I saw a bunch of unhappy brown folks notice our presence in that most life-force-draining of ways and managed to get out a, "Uh, Viking, can you kill them?" (he was manning the .50cal) just before I caught sight of the launch of an RPG and watched it come straight for us (it looked like a little black cross - fitting, b/c we were about to die. . .). I knew we were on our way to checking out and could only marvel at the scene from a movie I found myself in, right at that moment. I swear it seemed like something I'd seen in a movie. Well, anyways, the impact came and the world went topsy-turvy. Game over. Sadly, time was short, and I was unable to stick around and lead us to our deaths, again. No worries, though - I had a blast! Big Grin ;D HA! "Blast!" Get it?! HAHAHA! Pray for me.

Re: Completed missions - Overlord - 10-22-2009

Cool Big Grin