Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
[CiA] OFP : Completed missions - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: CiA Coop Nights (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: [CiA] OFP : Completed missions (/showthread.php?tid=1391)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Re: Completed missions - ninja - 10-26-2009

CAT Afghanistan - Send them to paradise

[Image: 98461931.th.jpg]

[Image: 31283547.th.jpg]

Re: Completed missions - Marto - 10-26-2009

That was a nice mission - lots of small engagements etc. The TBG-7 rounds were very effective against infantry in the open...

http://www.bazalt.ru/bl-boy-eng.htm

Re: Completed missions - RKDmitriyev - 11-05-2009

It's been a while since I did one of my write-ups. But I thought last night's co-op session was particularly noteworthy.

It was FDF/BAS night, of course. We had a pretty good turnout, around 10 players at one point. First mission was Nikiller's "Dourdan Rescue."

This mission proved to be some pretty tough business. It's resistance vs. USA on Malden, and the objective is to liberate a captured officer held in Dourdan. We started on Hill 347 overlooking Arudy with Anguis in command. We noticed that we had a number of vehicles that the mission briefing never told us about--specifically a BMP, a UAZ, and a truck, as well as some ammo crates with the specially scripted capability to be "loaded" onto these vehicles. Well, why walk into enemy territory when you can drive?

We loaded into the BMP with Ninja as driver and I believe Viking as gunner, the rest of us in back. Ninja rocketed down the hill in the direction of Houdan (not Dourdan), with Anguis intending to loop all the way to the other side of the objective and attack it from the East. I guess we assumed that Houdan would be unoccupied and that this route would be safer. Oh, and did I forget to mention that our BMP was approximately 50% damaged to begin with at mission's start? When our vehicle zoomed into a town full of enemy troops and vehicles, the results were predictable. As I heard an M113's gun start to tear into our weakened APC, I panicked and hopped out. Then I realized I wasn't given permission to disembark, so I re-enterned. BOOM! BMP exploded at that instant. Should have panicked instead. Tongue All were killed except for Osku and I believe Misha, who had somehow escaped from the doomed transport. After a valiant firefight, they were killed by infantry.

We tried the mission again. This time we took all our vehicles, and I rode in the back of the truck. BMP led our little convoy, and we planned to pass in between Dourdan and Houdan. Once again, we set out confidently, and once again we drove right into the American kill zone. The BMP was nailed. The UAZ and truck crews were still alive, but we elected to restart mission.

The third time we changed plans yet again. Anguis marked out a route that would take us north of Dourdan instead of south. Furthermore, rather than boarding all in vehicles, a main force would advance as infantry with two of us following in a supporting BMP, and another followed in the truck. Delaney volunteered as BMP driver, and (after some confusion) I was picked for gunner. Zulu drove the truck, and ninja was the point man for the main squad.

This time we noticed that a NATO jeep w/ machine gun was buzzing around the road between Dourdan and Arudy.  At first we ignored it, but it became clear that its patrol route overlapped with ours. Anguis ordered me to open fire. I hurled a HEAT shell at the jeep as he was paused near Arudy. The smoke cleared, and--ahh, still buzzing around! The jeep turned around and was headed dangerously close to our main squad. Gah, BMP shells don't reload fast enough!  :o Just as my ammo indicator turned green, the enemy's MG started spitting glowing yellow tracers at the infantry. Then I sent him flying with a more accurate HEAT shot. Phew.  Big Grin

With that little episode over, we continued northeast to around FC40. We didn't meet any more enemy--I guess that jeep crew weren't much liked by their buds. La Trinite seemed clear of enemies, and our infantry moved within sight of Dourdan. They reported an M60 tank patrolling the town, but I couldn't see through the trees. I was nervous--any veteran OFP player knows who usually wins in a fight between BMP and M60. Fortunately the AI was not in a seeing-through-trees mood. Infantry moved further east and got a good look undetected at the infested town.

Finally Anguis gave Delaney a waypoint to move into combat. I switched to AT3 as we smooshed through the trees into view of the town, alerting the garrison. The M60 rolled out to meet us. Swooosh! AT3 didn't get a good hit. He shot at us a few times and missed--probably because Delaney kept the BMP as a moving target. I sent in a few HEAT shells in return, and our infantry opened fire as well. I probably got at least one good hit on him, but our RPG guy (Osku?) was the one who finally finished him off. Another phew. Big Grin

Now, of course, the beehive of infantry guards started spilling out to meet us. Breathing a little easier, I shot them up with HEAT shells and MG. Sadly, my MG (or at least my aim of it) left a little to be desired, but I nabbed a few of those bloody yanks. ;D Our infantry was shredding up even more. I was about to complain that my MG was running low on ammo when--KABOOM! An A10 swooped down and obliterated Delaney and me with a Maverick. :o So much for our armor support. Well, now I could relax, and also use missile cam.

Fortunately, our squad was packing several Strela missile launchers with extra missiles in those ammo crates. I watched as we plucked two A10s out of the sky. I even saw Mikka take out the second one through missile cam. The key is to wait till the planes are flying away from you, after they swoop over you. Later, I ran some tests in the mission editor--a vanilla BIS Strela will almost surely miss an A10 if shot from its front or side. The missile just can't curve fast enough to meet the target. However, the same Strela fired from behind will easily take down an A10 going at full speed, and only one shot is required. (Now, WGL is a different story. WGL planes are darn near impossible even to hit with WGL AA missiles, and it looks like planes can keep right on flying even after a direct hit). Consistent with these results, our heroes dispatched 2 A10s handily by shooting Strelas up their tailpipes, though there was at least one miss.

By this time almost all of the enemy garrison was eradicated. The infantry advanced cautiously (Zulu had long since disembarked from his truck and joined with the main group). They picked off a few survivors. An M2 machine gun emplacement was facing away from us in the top floor of one of the buildings. After a few rifle shots at him, the building collapsed! That's some pretty flimsy construction--I would sue. Big Grin After darting in and out of the buildings in Dourdan, Ninja and Zulu found the captured officer. They "freed" him via action menu and the whole squad retreated to the truck.

Just as our squad made it to the truck, an M167 Vulcan with infantry accompaniment showed up. Naturally, squad had to abandon the truck. They set up an ambush and wiped out the enemy handily, M167 gone in one shot and infantry cut to pieces. However, the initial plan of moving on in the truck was abandoned. Our heroes would have to make it to extraction on foot. It might have worked with just human players, but sadly the enemy had severely tortured our poor resistance officer by placing an AI in his brain. ;D

One of the effects of this torture was a bizarre refusal to pick up a weapon when ordered by Anguis. Unfortunately, one of the less realistic aspects of OFP is that maximum movement speed is roughly inversely proportional to the weight of the weapon carried. With no weapon, the AI's maximum speed was a leisurely stroll through bloodstained enemy territory. Most of the squad went ahead up the hill as Anguis stayed behind to babysit our mentally and physically slow AI comrade.

Well, a NATO squad managed to sneak up behind them. More accurately, they happened to trot up behind them, and of course they overtook slow-moving Anguis and the officer in his care. The enemy actually got up within around 20 meters before noticing them. The result was obvious. Officer and Anguis down, and the mission failed. After all that work! (And after all that typing about it!)

I feel as though I've typed enough, or rather a bit too much, for one sitting. Hope that this was another enjoyable read. Maybe I'll talk about our completed mission next. Now I need to go do stuff, my back is starting to hurt. Big Grin

Re: Completed missions - Overlord - 11-06-2009

Haha, cool reading again; almost as I played it myself Smile This mission is a though one, never finished I believe.

The story behind it is simple: Nikiller (the mission maker) originally made it for Funhouse ([LoL] server) and I liked it very much even if teamplay is almost non-existent over there. I asked him to make a CiA edition, which he did, and played it with us. As we strolled along with the mission he noticed it was "close-to-failure" from a mission-makers point of view Tongue and repeatedly sent updated missions. The latest one (with FDF addons) is a hard nut to crack, we got some issues with the mortar....

It's a lot of AI enhancement in it, you probably noticed AIs open fire almost at WGL range, not the FDF 200m limit? And they hunt you down.
When you have played it a couple of times you will notice most of the surprises and arm your squad properly and use the different weapons wisely Smile

Re: Completed missions - Anguis - 11-06-2009

Yeah, great write-up!

Re: Completed missions - RKDmitriyev - 11-06-2009

Thanks guys. Actually I didn't notice increased range. Like I said, that final NATO squad approached so close to Anguis and the officer before noticing that Anguis could have thrown pebbles at them. But that kind of bizarre gap in AI competence is standard OFP fare, I've found. Somewhat realistic, actually. ;D

But if the squads are somehow scripted to hunt you down, that explains how that final squad just happened to move in on Anguis.

Re: Completed missions - Anguis - 11-06-2009

It did feel like having been hunted down. Now, I'd really like to hear about the mission that turned out right!

Re: Completed missions - RKDmitriyev - 11-06-2009

Well, now that I've got a commission!

Gimme a minute to check the other posts on the forum, and I'll start writing what I can remember. ;D

Re: Completed missions - Zulu1 - 11-06-2009

Quote:The latest one (with FDF addons) is a hard nut to crack, we got some issues with the mortar....

I was looking for the mortar deploy from the truck but it wasn't there. Thinking it after the fact the mortar is deployed from the uaz I think. We did manage to get farther along than I have seen before. Anguis's decision the approach Douran from the far left side worked out well.

Re: Completed missions - RKDmitriyev - 11-07-2009

To continue....

Overlord logged on and took command. The next mission was Operation Rainbow 5. Once again, we were Resistance vs. US on Malden. A group of 10 resistance troops must destroy a US convoy before it reaches the resistance HQ at around Ed12. The convoy will stop at a US fuel station at Fi17. No antitank weapons are available at start, so resistance must get to the fuel station first, wipe out guards, and then seize weapons to destroy the convoy.

Our starting position was marked at Fd18. The obvious route to the objective was east-by-northeast through the forest of bushes and stubby trees. But players who had been played the mission before reported that this route was no good. So Overlord planned to move north and attack the fuel station from the west. This attack would take us through much open ground, though we could take advantage of slight ridges as well as a clump of bushes surrounding the road at Fg15.

So we booted up the mission. We were greeted with a cutscene accompanied by the catchy Latin horn groove of Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire." Not all players expressed appreciation for this music. ;D We saw the tanks departing their base, but they were a long way off. Our long column set off northward through the shrubbery. As a medic, I was second to last in the column.

Our little army made it undetected to the bushes at Fg15. Overlord instructed me and a machinegunner (can't remember :-[ ) to take cover behind the dunes at Hill 47, while the others crossed the sandy expanse to the fuel station. I poked my head over the ridge to see the action. The squad was a solid line formation crawling through the open ground.

Bullets didn't start flying till our infantry were at roughly Fh15, less than 250 metres from the fuel station. I believe that our guys initiated contact. From down there, they must have had a pretty good view of the objective. Despite the lack of concealment, they massacred the garrison of around 20 infantry with rifle grenades and quick mouse clicking. No casualties from our side. (I would have appreciated having at least one injured person so that I could have felt more important! Tongue). After dispatching the survivors--the inevitable handful of AIs that are smart enough to keep their heads down rather than waltz into the kill zone--we were given another serving of "Ring of Fire."

This was my cue to rejoin the main group. I ran over and noticed that our heroes had killed a sniper, and no one had taken his M21 yet. I grabbed the gun as others littered the road through the fuel station with mines and satchel charges. This lull in the fighting didn't last long, though. Yet another cutscene alerted us to the imminent arrival of US armor, and we dashed back northwest. Those of us not wired to satchel charges, such as myself, ran behind the dune that I was hiding behind earlier. The rest had to stop closer, lest their bombs go out of range.

I peered through my sniper scope at the incoming convoy--at least 2 M60s and an M1A1. I believe someone mentioned that the people who planted satchel charges should be careful because, after the explosion, the AI will detect the people who laid them. I ran some tests in the mission editor, and I don't believe that's correct. As far as I can tell, if you're undetected before your mine or satchel went off, you'll stay undetected after it does. That holds true at least of US M1A1s driving over BIS Russian mines and satchels. Now, I did also notice that after running over a mine or exploding satchel, the tank's turret (if it survives) will usually swivel a bit, as if frantically searching for whoever shot him. But unless it happens to swivel in your direction, you're not detected. If the satchel charge somehow increases your "detection probability" in itself, then it doesn't do so nearly as drastically as shooting an AT round at the vehicle. Perhaps satchel charges gave away your position in an earlier OFP version.

So anyway, after a short pause, the tanks proceeded into the fuel station. Peering through the M21 scope, I couldn't hear their conversation, but I imagine it was something like this:

Driver: "So like, guys, how come all the guys at this fuel station are sorta laying around and not moving anymore?"

Commander: "Guh, tank commander dunno. Maybe resistance make them dead."

Driver: "Maybe we should, like, turn around and go around this fuel thingie instead."

Commander: "Nuh, tank commander say we just keep going straight thr--AAOWWWWIEEE!!!"

At that moment, one of our guys set off his satchel charges, and the gas station objects burst into flames. There were around five explosions simultaneously--epic kaboom. And of course the tanks just kept plowing right through the mines and satchel charges. A heavily damaged Abrams swerved off the road at the closer edge of the camp and the crew scrambled out the hatch. I opened fire with my M21.

Unfortunately, my sniper fire throughout this mission wasn't too effective. I'm not sure if it was too much ping or too much distance (maybe at the edge of my sight radius?), but enemy troops seemed to "skip" a few metres whenever I pulled the trigger. I only took down 3 men in this mission--at least one of them was an officer. ;D

But all enemy tanks were quickly destroyed by mines and satchels--no rockets necessary! We weren't out of the woods yet, though. The enemy now sent in an M113, a truck, and a bunch of infantry. With most of our explosives gone, this counterattack was a harder nut to crack. Several of our guys got killed, including Overlord. Fat Tony took command. I just stayed behind the dune and took potshots at the enemy infantry. At some point I read through the chat bar that a teammate went down--I looked around and saw that the M113 had shredded the sniper next to me! :o But I didn't panic--not much, at any rate. ;D Just kept firing, and shuffled around in the sand to keep out of line of sight with the M113.

With several of our guys down, Viking suddenly mentioned that he had a LAW! Big Grin Well, that gave us a glimmer of hope. But he missed his shot, and the M113 must have noticed him valiantly exposed on the dune and hosed him down. Our glimmer of hope flickered a little. Someone recommended that I try to snipe the gunner out of the M113 cupola. I don't think that's possible. Again, I experimented with the mission editor, and it seems to me that in vanilla OFP or FDF there's no way to kill the M113 gunner other than simply destroying the vehicle. (Fortunately, those M113s are so pathetically underarmored that they make BMPs look like musclemen).

Someone else worked his way over and grabbed Viking's LAW and remaining round. (Osku?) He took his shot, too. I didn't see the result, but if I understood the chatter on Teamspeak, the shot missed--and at that instant the M113 rolled over a mine anyway. Big Grin

With the M113 gone, the odds were even again. I continued to hurl bullets in the general direction of enemy soldiers--if OFP AIs had any brains, I probably would have at least made them nervous. I believe it was Overlord who told me (from beyond the grave) to quit wasting my ammo. I got fed up and exchanged the M21 for an AK47, hoping that the sniper weapon would be more effective in different hands. But no one took it, so I just grabbed it again--better than letting it go completely to waste! Big Grin

I believe there were only four of us left at this point--probably Fat Tony, Osku, Mikka, and I. Two of them went forward, and Mikka and I covered them with sniper rifles. We were worried about enemy patrols attacking us from the woods to the south, but as I recall none ever came. The two forward worked their way back to the fuel station to kill off remaining infantry. At one point, they reported two contacts, and I spotted two men running across the open sand. Fortunately I noticed their friendly uniforms before I shot at them. Not that I was likely to have hit. Big Grin

They killed the driver in the truck that was still lolling around. Mikka and I advanced to hunt down survivors. There was a lull for about a minute, a few shots, and finally..."Ring of Fire" again! Reportedly, the last two enemies to be killed were pilots. lolwut? Well, the mission ended. I only got 3 kills, and no one to heal, but hey, team effort. Victory!  Smile

Re: Completed missions - Overlord - 11-07-2009

Wow, another novel. Actually it's not a novel but a pretty accurate description of the mission. I suspect Kurtz to be a war correspondent in disguise Smile

For the "auto-detect" stuff, it only affects mines (mines have its own class), satchels have never been an issue. The way I think it works is like when a mine blow off the AIs detect (knows about) location of the player who put it (if in range etc). It's quite noticable in one of Lenin's "Stanch Rangers" mission on trinity.

Re: Completed missions - Osku - 11-07-2009

Nikiller's "Dourdan Rescue":

(11-05-2009, 10:22 PM)RKDmitriyev link Wrote: As I heard an M113's gun start to tear into our weakened APC, I panicked and hopped out. Then I realized I wasn't given permission to disembark, so I re-enterned. BOOM! BMP exploded at that instant. Should have panicked instead. Tongue All were killed except for Osku and I believe Misha, who had somehow escaped from the doomed transport. After a valiant firefight, they were killed by infantry.

I remember we stopped just before entering the town, and I disembarked by accident. Then our BMP kept going forward maybe 50 meters and getting under fire. I ran towards the town, hoping to save your asses with my RPG, and after few seconds I found the evil M113 behind some houses, and destroyed it. Unfortunately too late, it had already killed our BMP and everyone inside it (expect Misha).  Tongue

Re: Completed missions - mikka - 11-07-2009

(11-07-2009, 12:06 PM)Overlord link Wrote: Wow, another novel. Actually it's not a novel but a pretty accurate description of the mission. I suspect Kurtz to be a war correspondent in disguise Smile

Yes Kurtz can be a good war correspondent Smile

About satchels - i love the sound when i put them down on finmod.
For me is probably the best sound of putting satchels down road in whole OFP Wink

Re: Completed missions - RKDmitriyev - 11-07-2009

Thanks guys. I don't know of any war correspondents who use internet smileys in their posts, though--but with this newer generation, you never know.  ;D

Re: Completed missions - RKDmitriyev - 11-26-2009

Two very fun and successful missions today. We had Fat Tony, Faguss, Osku, Leo, and I, and Ugi and Viking joined in for the second mission. I feel like a write-up is in order:

1st mission: don't ask me the name! It was on Al Maldajah, we were FDF Resistance vs. Soviet enemies, and the briefing was in Finnish--that's all I know!  Tongue Fortunately Osku was there to translate. Basically, we had to clear three towns. Fat Tony led this mission.

First town was no problem: There were two T-72s lying around, but 3 of us had KES 88s, Osku had an ATLAS thingy, and RPGs were plentiful. Darting through the ruined sandstone buildings, we had surprisingly little problems mopping up infantry in the town. We couldn't seem to get the objective marker to tick, but we decided to move on.

Still no casualties as we arrived at town number 2. Tony, Faguss and I crawled up to the town as Leo and Osku eliminated BMPs on the other side. One of the patrolling soldiers noticed me and lay down to shoot me--I just put a bullet in him. I wasn't given "open fire," but they had already noticed, so... :-\ Bullets started flying, and Tony was killed a minute later. Our vengeance was swift, and this time the objective ticked.

Leo, now in command, commandeered a UAZ and rode us back to town one. Now we killed an AA gun at the camp, which we somehow neglected earlier, and--ah, there we go, objective complete! The mission isn't broken after all. Tongue We set out for town three. Whoever was driving the UAZ managed to crash it and tip it over on the rocks south of the town. :o Big Grin  ;D Fortunately, we had brought another jeep.

Town three--I was amazed at how close we got to it, driving in the remaining UAZ, without being noticed. It was a harbor town, and we essentially drove right up behind it, on the shore. The town itself was, of course, slightly raised from the coast. This was our fiercest fight yet--from my perspective, we faced lots of infantry and a T-72 hiding behind a shrubbery about 50 meters away. Could they see through that, or was I blocked from their sight? This was a little unnerving. We had all grabbed AK-74s by now for more ammo--so that throaty shooting sound could be from us or the enemy! They managed to get Faguss. We just staid calm and took them all down as they waddled into the kill zone. One of our RPG men made three persuasive arguments to the T-72 with his rocket launcher, and the infantry were just as easy to convince, with three of us working together.  ;D Then we got a happy song and mission complete. 8)

2nd mission: Operation Sling-Blade. A classic "slaughter the entire Soviet Army" mission, on Nogova, with us as a very heavily-armed US squad. Tony led again, and Ugi and Viking joined us. Viking had a Beretta 92F, or if that ran out of ammo, he could use his MM-1. ;D

Actually the MM-1 came in handy as we wiped out a bunch of infantry in a church. When we advanced, we discovered that a Soviet Spetsnaz was profaning the sanctuary with his vile presence. Fortunately, we were able to help him do his penance. :Smile We cleared some ruins, too, with a Shilka there. Tony and I inched along the castle walls carefully, for there were only a few feet between the walls and a practically 180* slope with a 300m fall! Besides that, nothing too exciting so far, especially for me, as I had only a Steyr AUG and 4 of our other guys had sniper rifles. Not to worry, the fun for me was soon to come. ;D

And all those sniper rifles came in handy as we engaged a few Soviet squads at about 300m in relatively open ground. Two BMPs lumbered in. I believe they managed to kill Faguss, but our squad was bristling with AT weapons. When they were smoked and no more infantry seemed to be milling around, we re-armed and advanced. I grabbed an RPG.

We sneaked up over an enemy outpost that we were supposed to kill. As we assigned targets, I noticed that several Russian infantry were standing around close together. It'd have been nice to have an RPO-A from WGL here, but my regular rocket propelled grenade sent 4 or 5 of them flying just fine. Big Grin Other infantry were wiped out in seconds, and we heard a chopper power up. I volunteered to man the heavy machine post at the bloodsoaked camp. When the Mi17 approached, I put around a 100 bullets in him--I could see him trailing little black specks. But it was Tony who plucked him out of the sky with an RPG launcher--after about 12 misses from all the RPG guys on our squad. ;D But RPGs were plentiful.

Again we advanced to a new objective. A bunch of Spetsnaz were standing around where, according to the mission briefing, a friendly squad had last reported in. Revenge at the hands of our snipers was swift. We also wiped out a bunch of crew next to an empty Shilka. Now came the fun for me. Tongue

I volunteered to be gunner, Osku was driver. The town of Velka Ves was our final objective. We could see two T-72s, but they were empty. When the order was given to attack, I used the convenient zoom-in feature of the Shilka sight to hurl the exploding bullets at enemy infantry. Annihilating whole squads with the AA cannons was one of the funnest experiences I've had in multiplayer OFP so far. Funniest, too--it was comical seeing those Russian infantry get blasted 30m in the air. The tank crews tried to make for their vehicles, but of course I re-directed them to the afterlife instead. Between the green death rays of the Shilka and our little sniper club, the enemy garrison in Velka Ves (including a Scud launcher) was massacred without friendly casualties. Great fun, and mission successful. Except that I was a little irked that somehow Leo had still gotten more kills than I (38 to my 30)--that man is a beast! He must be the Chuck Norris of OFP. Well, friendly competition never hurt. ;D