Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
Mumble - Interesting OFP project - 3D Positional Audio - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: CiA Addon Requirements & Dedicated Servers (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Mumble - Interesting OFP project - 3D Positional Audio (/showthread.php?tid=1558)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Re: Mumble - Interesting OFP project - 3D Positional Audio - Anguis - 08-28-2009

(08-25-2009, 09:16 PM)stilpu link Wrote: Me and my friends have been using this since release, strongly suggest you to try it out. You'll get directional sound (use zero minimum volume to get the same effect as ArmA's direct channel). Recommend to get PRMumble (the Project Reality version), it's got directional settings pre-set and you only have to activate the plugin. Bind "Force Center Position" (Squad leader channel in PRMumble) for old Teamspeak style radio comms.

Thanks for the note, stilpu - do you have a good link for the PRMumble version you recommend?

Edit: I found a link for the latest version, in case anyone is interested in checking it out (I think the page is linked to in an earlier post. . .): PRMumble 0.5

Link taken from here: PR Mumble page

I'll have much more time to work on this next week.

Re: Mumble - Interesting OFP project - 3D Positional Audio - Hawke - 10-20-2009

Doesn't the Squad leader thing mean that you can speak only to designated leaders and NOT to all of the players in the channel? Or did I misunderstand?
Btw, have you been able to setup a server or are you still playing on the public one?

Re: Mumble - Interesting OFP project - 3D Positional Audio - Anguis - 10-20-2009

Still on a public server:

Address: mumbled.de
Port: 64742

No PW needed. Channel is 'OFP'.

I still haven't figured out the Squad Leader bit - I'd like it to work as you described, but, right now, all it looks like 'Force Center' does is override the positional audio and broadcast to all, not limit the recipients of the message.

Re: Mumble - Interesting OFP project - 3D Positional Audio - Zwobot - 10-20-2009

I was on the mumbled.de server last night with Marto, but we couldn't quite test the Squad Leader comms; I was not able to view/edit the ACLs of the channels...

Re: Mumble - Interesting OFP project - 3D Positional Audio - Anguis - 10-20-2009

(10-20-2009, 10:47 PM)Zwobot link Wrote: I was not able to view/edit the ACLs of the channels...

I'll try to get you access. Standy by. . .

Edit: Alright, I've opened up the editing of the ACLs; hopefully, that'll work.

Re: Mumble - Interesting OFP project - 3D Positional Audio - Marto - 10-21-2009

Yeah I kinda liked mumble when we were using it Zwobot -- it was kinda cool when you ran down to that aa position while I was covering you and you picked up up that SA-7 launcher and I was yelling at you "Move away further before you fire! You are too close!". But you were too far away to hear me and you smoked yourself..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Re: Mumble - Interesting OFP project - 3D Positional Audio - Zwobot - 10-21-2009

Yeah I liked it too  Smile
I will be able to check the ACLs next weekend.

@Marto: where are the screenshots of the badass hold-the-town mission we played the other day by the way?

Re: Mumble - Interesting OFP project - 3D Positional Audio - Hawke - 10-21-2009

In my opinion that makes it unplaybale and the voice com redundant. What good is it if i have to resort to chat if im away more than a 100m? Like a sniper or if the squad is split to flank? Sounds more like a nice toy to me rather than a useful tool.

I got a server to work prety fast, wasnt that hard after all, i just didn't get the ACL thing to work, from what I saw it's for changing rights of registered users?

Re: Mumble - Interesting OFP project - 3D Positional Audio - Anguis - 10-21-2009

@Hawke: Yeah, I'd really like to figure out how to handle Mumble radio comms. I know the new version will have a 'Whisper to' function - that might help. Hopefully, the new version doesn't break the plugin. . .

As is, the 3d audio is fun and useful, keeping units together, knowing who is where. Swimmer groups can know whether or not they're hitting the beach together after long swims (particularly at night) better with Mumble than with TS.

The perfect setup would be Mumble 3d coupled with radio channels and the hand signals addon. . . This would work very well with PvP (AI can't hear you talk. . .).

Re: Mumble - Interesting OFP project - 3D Positional Audio - stilpu - 10-21-2009

Force center (Squad Leader in PRMumble) does just that: skips positional for regular Teamspeak-style talk.

Afaik the way Project Reality does it is to have squad leaders in a subchannel, so they can use Force Center to talk between themselves. Seems positional would be sent regardless of subchannel, although I'm not sure if it needs some special channel settings (for linking) or not. More info: http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f10-pr-general-discussion/53937-mumble-voice-program-project-reality.html#post934922

Re: Mumble - Interesting OFP project - 3D Positional Audio - Anguis - 10-22-2009

That PR setup is very close to how I had tried to set up things. The thing I did differently was to keep the squad leaders in the same sub-channel - the 3d audio segregates everyone naturally. Unfortunately, I've been having a hard time understanding how to configure the ACLs to keep the 'radio' communications limited to the SLs (and have those in close proximity to a particular SL be able to hear his side of a radio communication, if possible). I'll try to get in contact with the PR folks running their Mumble server and see if they can help me out.

Re: Mumble - Interesting OFP project - 3D Positional Audio - Overlord - 10-24-2009

Here is the latest connection info:

Address:    mumbled.de
Port:          64742
Username: [yourname]
PW:           No PW

Latest Plugin needed v.0.8b Plz install and set up and test before we start to play gyz

Re: Mumble - Interesting OFP project - 3D Positional Audio - Zwobot - 10-24-2009

(10-22-2009, 02:28 AM)Anguis Viridis link Wrote: Unfortunately, I've been having a hard time understanding how to configure the ACLs to keep the 'radio' communications limited to the SLs (and have those in close proximity to a particular SL be able to hear his side of a radio communication, if possible).
This might be possible when you assign Altspeak and Force Center Position to the same key and set up Altspeak in the ACL to only be heared in the current channel while Force Center Position would go out to all other linked channels but in the same time could only be heared in the linked channels.
It definitely needs more testing and maybe more groups and additional subchannels dedicated to squadleaders if you want the 'radio' only be heared by squadleaders and not the whole channel.

But I don't know if it's possible that non-squadleadres hear the incoming 'radio' from different linked channels when they are near their squadleader.

@Anguis: what did you do to register with the mumbled.de server to be able to link channels. Do you have to register an account in their forum? I can't see any other register form on their site other than in the forum...

Re: Mumble - Interesting OFP project - 3D Positional Audio - Anguis - 10-24-2009

Hi, Zwobot,

Yeah, I don't want non-SLs to hear incoming radio messages - just their SL's side of the conversation, if they happen to be nearby. Limiting the SLs radio comms to themselves has really been the tough thing to figure out (of course, it might be a simple thing that could be revealed with some good testing). I did originally have SLs in their own channel, and I still think that's the way to go (seems to be confirmed w/ the PR setup) - I've created a CiA Coop Test 1 channel w/ a 'Squad Leaders' sub-channel. I've not linked them - I'd like to see whether or not the 3d audio traverses unlinked channels. If so, then maybe limiting AltSpeak in the the SL channel (see the ACL) will work like a radio.

As for registering with the server, I think you have to,
first, register with the forum and log in,
second, click the subscribe link in the Mumble client,
and then go through the steps from there (I think that's what to do - after I click the subscribe link, I get a message saying that I'm already subscribed).

Re: Mumble - Interesting OFP project - 3D Positional Audio - Hawke - 10-24-2009

(10-24-2009, 12:17 AM)Overlord link Wrote: Here is the latest connection info:

Address:    mumbled.de
Port:          64742
Username: [yourname]
PW:           No PW

Latest Plugin needed v.0.8b Plz install and set up and test before we start to play gyz

That address does nothing for me.