Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
Arma2 Briefings - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Mission Making (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Arma2 Briefings (/showthread.php?tid=1957)

Arma2 Briefings - TonyMarony - 01-05-2011

Hola,

i know its much said about those in the forums and Biki and what, and i think i read planty of them and tried many demos, manager and so on, but i still dont get it to work properly. The best i was to manage was, that i could see the notes section but not the tasks which is odd enough.

Yesterday Sander said he has a "Crude but good" method to work them out, so i had a look into his missions (to steal is walways a good way to learn without bothering people ;-) ). The first thing i was wondering there was, that Sander does his briefings not start up with "execVM "briefing.sqf";" in the init.sqf. And i couldnt figure out where does it start at all.

Moreover, i just took his briefeing.sqf and stuffed it in a test mission of mine and put a execVM... as stated above in a init.sqf and - nothing was visible inside the mission.

So all in all it looks after days of reading and trying i still do the basics wrong.

What i did so far is, that i took several (different) templates (for example mikeys template, which is to be found on the BI Forums) and put it in my Missions folder and started the breifing with the execVM Command in the init - file. But even this isnt going to work for me.

My Questions are:
How is sander starting his briefings (if not with in init-file)?
Has the briefing any links to the players name or group (which is s1 in my example due to DAC) inside the mission?
What else could i have done wrong?

Cheers

Tony

Re: Arma2 Briefings - Zandhaas - 01-05-2011

Hi,

My method is quite crude, but it works and saves loads of time otherwise wasted on debugging scrupts instead of creating something useful. The supposedly more elegant scripted methods I tried out all failed on either JIP, respawn or unit switch or were only working in MP.

One needs several files in the mission folder:

- Briefing.html: nowadays only contains the debriefing texts
- init.sqf: only executed once, therefore actually not suitable to call the briefing.sqf in this in case of JIP, respawn or unit switch
- initjipcompatible.sqf: this file calls the briefing.sqf
- briefing.sqf: this contains the code to generate objectives and briefing notes

Not that I create tasks and briefing notes for each playable unit rather than for a generic player to make the briefings JIP, unit switch and respawn proof. This saves a lot of scripting and debugging of scripts. Now I can make the lot even simpler by using a string table, but I have not yet bothered so far as a couple of CTRL + C and CTRL + V commands work faster for me.

It is important that all playable units are actually named in the editor. Generally I use the convention of the call sign and the number, but that is just personal preference. As the objectives in the task list are generated for individual units, they need to be updated for each unit.

For some arcane reason the briefings show up in the editor only after I synchronise the medical modules with the playable units, before I do that there is nothing visible. As these are a standard item in all my missions, I never looked into the underlying cause.

A more detailed explanation will follow later.

Regards,

Sander

Re: Arma2 Briefings - TonyMarony - 01-09-2011

yay,

thx i understand now much more (though i will not think i know much at all ;-) ) and it works so far for my mission!

Now i have to copy paste again the whole texts in the rights place, but its one more step made :-).

Cheers

Tony