Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
Arma 3 is announced! - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Arma Game (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Arma 3 is announced! (/showthread.php?tid=2015)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Arma 3 is announced! - Misha - 05-19-2011

http://www.bistudio.com/index.php/english/games/arma3

This time with PhysX!

Although, it looks somehow too futuristic for my taste. But such nice details, and you can dive too!

Re: Arma 3 is announced! - Anguis - 05-19-2011

. . .and I had been worried about a computer that could run Arma2. . .  :Smile

Edit: On a more positive note, I, too, am excited about the diving. Having played a lot of Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising before playing OFP, I miss JO's real underwater insertions (admittedly, most significant in JO's AAS PvP matches, rather than co-op). The only thing JO lacked in this regard was functional SCUBA gear - hopefully, Arma3 would include it (screenshot gives hope).

I love summer, too.

Re: Arma 3 is announced! - Osku - 05-19-2011

I have been fearfully anticipating that kind of news for a while, and now you tell me the day arrived. But why new game?! In my opinion, they should continue putting their effort making the current version top-notch and bug-free. And the modding scene on ArmA2 is now living and breathing well, and finally somewhat recovered from the transition Armed Assault to ArmA 2. And with those system requirements many ArmA 2 players are going need a new rig... what a waste.  :Smile

Re: Arma 3 is announced! - Overlord - 05-19-2011

LOL
Well, I like the picture of the diver, too bad we play in 1st p view. Anyone noticed that most of the pictures looks like actual photograps? With a clear focus and difuse background? Hope it won't be the deal in-game, this isn't "real".
I agree with Osku BIS, should spend a few more years bug-fixing and optimizing the current version. A new game (AA3) should arrive in about five years time. The bigger part of the comunity will then have computers able to deal with it (or grown out of it). My current box should handle this OK, if I only install W7 on it.

Re: Arma 3 is announced! - Zandhaas - 05-19-2011

Hi,

The effects are hopefully post-processing and capable of being disabled. It is like the visual gadgetry in Arma II, nice for a screen shot, but not very practical or truly useful for actual game play purposes. If I would want to see the world blurry, I would play the game with my glasses off.

Regards,

Sander

Re: Arma 3 is announced! - Osku - 05-19-2011

(05-19-2011, 07:58 PM)Overlord link Wrote:My current box should handle this OK, if I only install W7 on it.

Yeah, but you know how BIS report their minimum system requirements? just for comparison: imagine playing default OFP with 400 MHz CPU / 64 MB RAM which was the minimum needed. Not to even speak of playing with some mods... Wink

Re: Arma 3 is announced! - Overlord - 05-19-2011

As I said:
Quote:A new game (AA3) should arrive in about five years time.
Guess I'm pretty fed up with my current then, and got atleast one more (in the meantime) Big Grin

Re: Arma 3 is announced! - Variable - 05-19-2011

(05-19-2011, 06:28 PM)Osku link Wrote:I have been fearfully anticipating that kind of news for a while, and now you tell me the day arrived. But why new game?! In my opinion, they should continue putting their effort making the current version top-notch and bug-free. And the modding scene on ArmA2 is now living and breathing well, and finally somewhat recovered from the transition Armed Assault to ArmA 2. And with those system requirements many ArmA 2 players are going need a new rig... what a waste.  :Smile
Couldn't agree more. Three major releases in five years period is four releases too much for a modding community driven title. Poor modders...
But look at those Merkavas, Namers and Tavors Wink I just hope they won't portray Israel as a independent/problematic faction.

Re: Arma 3 is announced! - Overlord - 05-20-2011

Don't worry Var, afik it's only Israelis over there who don't walk around killing people originated west of Mekka.....

Re: Arma 3 is announced! - Bubba - 05-20-2011

I Hope that some amount of time is given to make the diving work, of course in a good balance with other things. Big Grin

But what can a scuba diver and an enthusiastic free diver do when he sees a picture like that Big Grin

And hopefully every goddamn grunt will not be able to hold their breath for 2 min and use military rebreather gear as well as navy seals...

For some reason I believe that this next logical step, towards water, may even bring submarines to the game? But it might be kinda ridiculous since those things take so much crew that 20 men group might just be able to run things around there.

And lastly, I believe that everyone knows how much this will require from a computer... I can't even imagine the amount of money that  hardware, which could run even ARMA2 with physx, would cost... I get creeps... I truly hope they won't release this before atleast 2-3 years. And give it a little better finishing touch and A LOT MORE beta testing compared to the state in which arma and arma2 were released.

Hopefully they wont make this just another beautiful remake...  :Smile  armed assault anyone...?

Re: Arma 3 is announced! - Zandhaas - 05-20-2011

Given the system requirements of their previous games, it will probably be two years after release before a significant portion of the BIS game player base have rigs capable of running it at more than the minimal settings. On the other hand, playing the game for an hour should heat up the house to a cosy temperature during winter.

Regards,

Sander

Re: Arma 3 is announced! - Osku - 05-20-2011

(05-19-2011, 11:04 PM)Variable link Wrote:I just hope they won't portray Israel as a independent/problematic faction.

Let's make a petition for BIS to make Israel the hero country this time, instead of US.. Smile

Re: Arma 3 is announced! - Bubba - 05-20-2011

That's so true! My room is always atleast 3 degrees celsius warmer than every other room in our house in winter. Tongue

Osku, a brilliant idea. A war between United Forces of Finalnd and Israel (UFFI) Against... Ummm... Japan?? Big Grin And yes that is the most likely war to fire up in the next few decades :Smile Atleast it would bring something different to the games! US vs. Russia is so over used!

Re: Arma 3 is announced! - Osku - 05-20-2011

(05-20-2011, 06:51 PM)Bubba link Wrote:Osku, a brilliant idea. A war between United Forces of Finalnd and Israel (UFFI) Against... Ummm... Japan?? Big Grin And yes that is the most likely war to fire up in the next few decades :Smile Atleast it would bring something different to the games! US vs. Russia is so over used!

Hmm, I don't know. I'm just tired of these days too many FPS games brassing on USA's might and power. Even if Russia vs USA has been overused, those games are rare where you can play the main campaign on East side. Perhaps would be nice to have all sides equally present and playable in a military game, not always favoring a single faction.

...but why Japan as enemy?

Re: Arma 3 is announced! - Anguis - 05-20-2011

With a story that's either awesome or spare, it won't matter which nation fills the "hero" slot.

There was a book put out recently with an analysis that concluded that the U.S.A. would be at war w/ Japan, sometime in the next 100 years or so, iirc. I can neither recall the title nor the reasons for that conclusion (seems crazy to me).

edit: here it is - The Next 100 Years: A Forecast for the 21st Century, by the founder of STRATFOR; apparently, it'll be Japan and Turkey vs. the US. I don't believe it, but, well, I'm not the founder of stratfor. . .