Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
[CiA] Teamspeak 3 whisper setup guide - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: CiA Coop Nights (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: [CiA] Teamspeak 3 whisper setup guide (/showthread.php?tid=2282)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Re: [CiA] Teamspeak 3 whisper setup guide - Rund - 02-18-2013

Ok, sorry, didn't think about that. I was lazy setting it up Wink

Re: [CiA] Teamspeak 3 whisper setup guide - Anthropoid - 04-02-2013

Okay, I think I have this setup and running (along with the Mk Whisper Plugin and the Mk ORBATS too). Can clarify this afternoon if it is working or not, and if not, just fiddle with it again for Friday or Sunday.

Two questions:

1. Lets say we had a Squad with two Teams Alpha and Bravo. If I'm the Squad Leader, and I'm also Alpha Team Leader, when I press my Push-to-Talk key I will talk only to Alpha Team members, but when I press the "Whisper" key ('J' as Variable has his setup) then I will talk to the entire Squad (both Alpha and Bravo)?

2. Does it work the same way for the Bravo Team leader who is not the overall Squad Leader?

I'm really looking forward to bossing you guys around and leading you to glory/horrific deaths  ;D

Re: [CiA] Teamspeak 3 whisper setup guide - Variable - 04-02-2013

(04-02-2013, 02:35 PM)Anthropoid link Wrote: 1. Lets say we had a Squad with two Teams Alpha and Bravo. If I'm the Squad Leader, and I'm also Alpha Team Leader, when I press my Push-to-Talk key I will talk only to Alpha Team members, but when I press the "Whisper" key ('J' as Variable has his setup) then I will talk to the entire Squad (both Alpha and Bravo)?

Yes, you will transmit to all channels. That way, you will be able to control the whole squad and speak to Bravo command in a way that everybody will know that you are talking and shut up to not interfere. Moreover, everybody will know what kind of order was given and remain aware of your plans.

(04-02-2013, 02:35 PM)Anthropoid link Wrote: 2. Does it work the same way for the Bravo Team leader who is not the overall Squad Leader?
Yes it does. Actually, it works the same for everyone, allowing a 2IC to take command immediately and use the "Command Channel".

(04-02-2013, 02:35 PM)Anthropoid link Wrote: I'm really looking forward to bossing you guys around and leading you to glory/horrific deaths  ;D
Great! Another leader steps up! Smile Looking forward to it too.

Re: [CiA] Teamspeak 3 whisper setup guide - kutya - 04-02-2013

(04-02-2013, 02:35 PM)Anthropoid link Wrote: I'm really looking forward to bossing you guys around

Well, I don't really dream about being led by a rookie.

Setting up TS doesn't make one a leader IMO.

Re: [CiA] Teamspeak 3 whisper setup guide - Variable - 04-02-2013

We always welcome new leaders, even rookies. Hell, we even encourage it Smile
What makes one a good leader is not merely the experience in the game anyway, and we are always there to provide support, if needed.

Re: [CiA] Teamspeak 3 whisper setup guide - Varanon - 04-02-2013

(04-02-2013, 04:04 PM)kutya link Wrote: Well, I don't really dream about being led by a rookie.

Well, I don't mind. It's not actual war, you know.

Re: [CiA] Teamspeak 3 whisper setup guide - kutya - 04-02-2013

Ok, I get the point.

Re: [CiA] Teamspeak 3 whisper setup guide - Anthropoid - 04-02-2013

I tend toward a pretty slow and methodical playing style when I'm controlling the AI, and I also tend to micro-manage AI soldiers a lot. Keeping casualties as low as possible given the time and operational constraints of the mission is always my main imperative. If you lose 1 out of 8 squad members your overall strength has dropped by 12.5% right there, and that is to say nothing if that member was somehow crucial in terms of squad composition (a medic, a heavy weapons soldier, etc.).

Obviously, nobody wants to play coop so slowly and carefully that one mission takes up a whole evening. But slow and methodical with an emphasis on information gathering and awareness is my style. I like to be the one to start the engagement and do it only once there is a pretty high level of confidence about enemy dispositions. Obviously that is not always possible but it is what I strive for.

Re: [CiA] Teamspeak 3 whisper setup guide - Bubba - 04-02-2013

Absolutely nothing says that a new player couldn't be even a better leader than older players.

Re: [CiA] Teamspeak 3 whisper setup guide - WCG - 04-04-2013

OK, I'm a complete newbie. In fact, I'm setting up Teamspeak only on the off-chance (a slim one, I suspect) that I'll have a good connection to one of your Arma III games. But, um, I don't actually know what a whisper is.

I set up Teamspeak on Voice Activation, as the software suggested. And I tried their sample server (which was just a constant sound of people connecting and disconnecting, nothing else). But that's as far as I've gotten. How does a 'whisper' differ from the ordinary use of Teamspeak?

(To be honest, I don't even know how the "ordinary use" of Teamspeak is supposed to work in a game. I've used the communication controls in Arma III, though I'm very new at that. But I guess I don't understand how Teamspeak differs from that or what it adds to the game.)

Also, the initial image in this post is not what I see when I open up Whisper Lists, but I suppose I have to be connected to your Teamspeak server first? I'm hesitant to do too much, not just because I'm so new at this, but also because I don't know if I'll even be able to connect to your Arma III games. (Note that I don't own Arma II.)

PS. I installed the whisper plugin, but not the ORBAT addon, because I suspect that's only for Arma II, not Arma III. Am I right about that?

Sorry about all the questions, but it's the only way I'll learn, right? Smile

Bill

Re: [CiA] Teamspeak 3 whisper setup guide - kutya - 04-04-2013

Whisper is used when there are at least two teams in the same mission. So regularly, you communicate within your team. When you use whisper, you communicate to all the other teams too. So we use whisper for inter-team communication.

Don't worry WCG, plenty of nice people here and I'm sure some of them can help you more than I did.

Re: [CiA] Teamspeak 3 whisper setup guide - WCG - 04-05-2013

(04-04-2013, 10:47 PM)kutya link Wrote: Whisper is used when there are at least two teams in the same mission. So regularly, you communicate within your team. When you use whisper, you communicate to all the other teams too. So we use whisper for inter-team communication.

OK, thanks. So, ordinarily, it's just voice activation, because I'd only be talking to team members. Using whisper, you have to press a key (and normally, only the leader would do that).

Well, I tried the Teamspeak 3 Server, re. the information here. As with the sample server I tried, it was just a constant announcement of people entering and leaving the channel (and I mean constant). There wasn't anything else, but with all the noise, there really wasn't room for anything else, anyway.

Also, there were a million different channels, but none like what are shown in this post. So I'm still quite lost, I'm afraid.

Re: [CiA] Teamspeak 3 whisper setup guide - Variable - 04-05-2013

(04-04-2013, 10:30 PM)WCG link Wrote: I'm hesitant to do too much, not just because I'm so new at this, but also because I don't know if I'll even be able to connect to your Arma III games. (Note that I don't own Arma II.)

Welcome aboard Bill! We are glad to have you here and let's worry about you joining the games after we help you with Teamspeak Smile

First of all, switch your Teamspeak from voice activation to push-to-talk. Voice activation doesn't work too well and it adds noise to the comm channel. Find a key that is convinient for you and set it as a ptt (I recommend one that your thumb can press, or one on your mouse, if you got multiple buttons on it).

You may want to wait a bit with setting the whisper key until you decide if you want to play with us. But in any case, this is how you set it - The guide on the opening post will work for you on our server. Feel free to connect to it, it's online 24/7, and you won't get the annoying connection messages on it. The contact information is on our website, including the password. Once connected follow the instructions on the opening post. AS Kutya explained, once set you'll have one PTT to communicate within your team and one to communicate with all the teams. The second is mostly used by team leaders, or when your team leader is dead and you'd like to communicate with the other teams.

Feel free to ask more questions if such arise, I also have you on my steam now so I can provide assistance there as well.

Good luck!

Re: [CiA] Teamspeak 3 whisper setup guide - Anthropoid - 04-05-2013

(04-04-2013, 10:30 PM)WCG link Wrote: (To be honest, I don't even know how the "ordinary use" of Teamspeak is supposed to work in a game. I've used the communication controls in Arma III, though I'm very new at that. But I guess I don't understand how Teamspeak differs from that or what it adds to the game.)

TeamSpeak is one example of a Internet based communications application that seems to be primarily focused on user by gamers. The application is free but maintaining a TS server address involves a fee if I recall correctly (which means that the CiA server is costing these guys a certain amount per month). There are several other applications that function quite similarly (e.g., Ventrillo or Mumble).

The primary function of these applications seems to be for gaming, whereas something like Skype seems to be targeted toward non-gamers seeking to do Internet based communications.

Basically, you create an account, log in to a TeamSpeak address (which will often require a password to prevent malicious visitors or even bots) and then at that address there will often be a number of sub-directories or "channels" in which you can move around. For example, the CiA TS server has Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, AFK and KIA "channels." When you are in a channel with other users, if they have their headset or speakers on, they will be able to hear you when you transmit via your mic and vice versa. Transmitting can be accomplished with voice activation (which these guys ask us not to do) or via a "push-to-talk" key (PTT). The PTT key can be setup in the setup wizard or in the Options-Settings (or something like that). I use the lower left hand Windows key myself, but if you have a gaming mouse using the thumb button might be wise.

Players in a gaming session will all run TeamSpeak, log in to the server, and then run TeamSpeak while playing the game, and use it to communicate (instead of the in-game voice functions) during gameplay. Many PVP and coop gamer communities seem to follow this convention, and it seems to be because many in-game voice functions are crappy. Also for some games that are server based games where servers sometimes go down (e.g., EVE Online) having a communications application running through a server that is separate from the gaming server means that if one or more players lose their gaming server connection they may well still retain their communications connection. In EVE Online this is often used for the "old log-offsky trick" in which a large group of players position themselves for an ambush or surprise attack, and then logoff, leading the enemy to believe that the threat is gone because all the opponent players have logged off. Meanwhile one or two observers remain online and provide a cue for the group to log on en masse and unleash the surprise attack  ;D

Quote:How does a 'whisper' differ from the ordinary use of Teamspeak?

As far as I can tell, the difference is this:

Your push to talk key will cause you to address ONLY those users who are in the same sub-channel on the server as you. For example if you are in Alpha Channel, and hit your PTT key then you will only transmit to the other users in Alpha Channel.

If you have your Whisper groups setup to transmit to ALL the sub-channels, then when you hit your whisper key you will transmit to All those subgroups.

This is useful for team and squad members to communicate between teams/squads and coordinate actions between groups that otherwise do not need to be confused by the communications pertinent to other teams/squads.

Re: [CiA] Teamspeak 3 whisper setup guide - WCG - 04-05-2013

Thanks for the replies, everyone, but I think this has been a complete waste of time. I guess I put the cart before the horse, because I've been checking your Arma III server the last few days, and I have yet to see a ping of less than 2500 here.

Well, I knew it was doubtful, but I went ahead and installed Teamspeak, just in case. But it doesn't look like I'll be able to join you.

PS. FYI, I connected to the Teamspeak server you list at http://ciahome.net/join-cia-coop-nights/. But that's the one with constant connection messages and a million channels, none of them like your image shows. If you're talking about a different Teamspeak server than that one, you might want to make it clearer for other newbies.

Thanks again, and sorry to take up your time. Maybe someday there will be a better connection between us.