Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
Making a Custom Repo for CiA - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Technical Support (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Making a Custom Repo for CiA (/showthread.php?tid=2298)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Re: Making a Custom Repo for CiA - Variable - 05-23-2013

(05-22-2013, 05:56 PM)doveman link Wrote:Mk4 HUD or Blakeace's Pradar
- if I put both of these in the Six profile, then they'll be Required mods and both forced enabled, so perhaps it would be best to leave them both out and give instructions on how to add the one of the users choice in PwS/Six Updater. Alternatively we could have one in the profile and thus forced enabled, leaving it up to the user if they want to add the other as well.
Let's make mk4 included and have the guys who'd like the names under the command bar (leaders mostly) add Pradar manually. Will that work?

(05-22-2013, 05:56 PM)doveman link Wrote:Namalsk
- on Six, I believe this is split into @namalsk and @NC, with the former being 704MB and the latter 126MB. I note you're going to publish the required PBOs from this but if they include all or most of those in @NC, it would make sense to just add that mod in the Six profile.
Can we add a mod to our choosing to six updater? If so, why not just make a "CiA  addons" folder and put all the stuff we need in there after we have eliminated all the duplicates and selected the right files?

(05-22-2013, 05:56 PM)doveman link Wrote:RHS Russian Army (Remove rhs_ui.pbo or else you'll get duplicated menu)
- this one is a little tricky as if any files are modified/deleted, then PwS/SixUpdater will notice and repair it by replacing the files from it's rsync backup folder, although perhaps only if the user manually chooses to "Diagnose" the mod. I don't know if it's likely to get updated in the future, but if so we'll have to advise users to keep an eye out for any updates and remove the rhs_ui.pbo again after it completes.
Yeah, I doubt it will get updated soon. And if it will we will notify all players to remove the rhs_ui.pbo again.

(05-22-2013, 05:56 PM)doveman link Wrote:Trinty
- doesn't appear to be on Six at the moment but I've asked about this and whether it can be added, so fingers crossed.
Ok, we will have that installed manually in the meantime.

(05-22-2013, 05:56 PM)doveman link Wrote:I didn't see CBA in the list, so is that not going to be used or is it just assumed that everyone has this enabled already? I've never really got my head round which mods need this to work or not, so maybe it's just ACE that needs it.
CBA is required and added to the list now. I simply forgot to mention it before.
How can we handle the beta CBA and the regular CBA?

(05-22-2013, 05:56 PM)doveman link Wrote:Is the IP:port for the server the same on Tues/Sun (CWR2) and Thursdays (ACE) i.e. 77.74.193.124:2202
Same IP and port for all CiA Arma 2 and Arma 3 servers. Teamspeak is on the same IP but on a different port.

Thanks a lot this doveman, much appreciated.

Re: Making a Custom Repo for CiA - doveman - 05-23-2013

(05-23-2013, 07:50 AM)Variable link Wrote:Let's make mk4 included and have the guys who'd like the names under the command bar (leaders mostly) add Pradar manually. Will that work?

Yeah, that sounds sensible. There's no problem with players adding mods of their own choosing, like Pradar.

Quote:Can we add a mod to our choosing to six updater? If so, why not just make a "CiA  addons" folder and put all the stuff we need in there after we have eliminated all the duplicates and selected the right files?

We can't add a mod to the six network as such. What we'd have to do is use a Custom Repo, which needs to be hosted on our own server and players would download any custom mods from there, although that's a bit more complicated to setup. I generally dislike having custom versions of standard mods, as it means players end up having to download and store twice as much data (for example, if they already have @namalsk and @NC installed and then have to download and store a version of these files with maybe one or two removed in @servercia) so if it doesn't cause problems having the entire mod enabled, it will probably be best just to use the standard @namalsk and/or @NC from Six (which many people might already have installed anyway). Certainly in the future if we want to look at requiring the use of one or two files from certain mods, such as slx or trueuser, it makes sense to make a custom mod to include just those files which we can look at setting up a Custom Repo for or just make available to download as a zip from the website.

Anyway, if you have a list of files needed from namalsk, I'll have a look and see if we can minimise the downloads.

Quote:Yeah, I doubt it will get updated soon. And if it will we will notify all players to remove the rhs_ui.pbo again.

OK.

Quote:Ok, we will have that installed manually in the meantime.

Regarding Trinity, I note there's two versions, one which includes some cwr2 files http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19643 and a stand-alone version which doesn't but which requires CWR2 http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19644 . As we're using cwr2 anyway, it would seem to make sense to use the stand-alone version to reduce the amount of data to download and avoid storing duplicate files and ensure that the latest cwr2 files are always used. However, this would mean we'd need to have cwr2 enabled to use Trinity and I'm not sure if this would cause problems on test nights when we normally have ACE enabled and CWR2 disabled. I'm not sure what the conflict is between CWR2 and ACE and obviously using the version of Trinity which includes some CWR2 files would mean those are enabled when using Trinity anyway, so maybe we need to just remove Trinity from the test night mod-list?

Quote:CBA is required and added to the list now. I simply forgot to mention it before.
How can we handle the beta CBA and the regular CBA?

Six Updater/PwS automatically manage that, enabling @cba_co when the beta is enabled and the separate @cba_oa, etc when it isn't.

Quote:Same IP and port for all CiA Arma 2 and Arma 3 servers. Teamspeak is on the same IP but on a different port.

OK, thanks.

(05-23-2013, 01:10 PM)doveman link Wrote:Regarding Trinity, I note there's two versions, one which includes some cwr2 files http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19643 and a stand-alone version which doesn't but which requires CWR2 http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19644 . As we're using cwr2 anyway, it would seem to make sense to use the stand-alone version to reduce the amount of data to download and avoid storing duplicate files and ensure that the latest cwr2 files are always used. However, this would mean we'd need to have cwr2 enabled to use Trinity and I'm not sure if this would cause problems on test nights when we normally have ACE enabled and CWR2 disabled. I'm not sure what the conflict is between CWR2 and ACE and obviously using the version of Trinity which includes some CWR2 files would mean those are enabled when using Trinity anyway, so maybe we need to just remove Trinity from the test night mod-list?
I expect all missions that require trinity to use CWR2, it's a nostalgic island after all. Therefore, it's indeed better to use the stand alone version that requires the CWR2 that we run anyway.
In the off-chance someone makes an ACE-Trinity pack, we either skip it or add another version of Trinity to the test server and the requirements to Thursday night special.

(05-23-2013, 02:43 PM)Variable link Wrote:I expect all missions that require trinity to use CWR2, it's a nostalgic island after all. Therefore, it's indeed better to use the stand alone version that requires the CWR2 that we run anyway.
In the off-chance someone makes an ACE-Trinity pack, we either skip it or add another version of Trinity to the test server and the requirements to Thursday night special.

OK. Trinity stand-alone consists of 3 files:

ibr_rn.pbo
hotze_base.pbo
hotze_trinity.pbo

the first two are available separately on Six as @ibr_rn and @hotze_base so I'll include those in the profiles and if hotze_trinity gets added to Six in future I'll add that as well but in the meantime we can just link players to download Trinity stand-alone. In future I guess we could just consider putting hotze_trinity.pbo in our custom mod-pack.

I just tested running ArmA with Trinity stand-alone enabled and it threw up errors about missing CWR2 files if I opened Trinity in the editor but I guess as long as we don't try to play on the Trinity map on Thursdays, then it shouldn't cause any problems just being enabled. As we can't use it though, it might make sense to leave it out of the Thursday/ACE six profile even if it does become available on there. For now, players will have to manually add it to their profiles in PwS/SU, so perhaps we just tell them to add it to the Tues/Sun profile and not the Thurs one?

I forgot you were making two profiles! If so, just leave it out from the Thursday's one.

(05-23-2013, 03:34 PM)Variable link Wrote:I forgot you were making two profiles! If so, just leave it out from the Thursday's one.

Cool, will do.

I was actually going to make a third, for Thursdays with ACE disabled as we seem to do that quite a lot on test night and players will need an easy way to launch without ACE. Does that sound OK?

Regarding MK4_HUD, the version on Six contains a file mk4_fix_sthud.pbo which causes an error on launch if ST_HUD isn't also enabled.

I know a lot of people don't like to use ST_HUD, so we have three options

1) Put up with the error, assuming it only appears once on launching ArmA and won't keep popping up at random times.

2) Tell people to delete this file. However, it will be automatically replaced whenever they diagnose/update the modset, so that's problematic

2) Leave MK4_HUD out of the profiles and provide a link for players to download it (without this awkward file) elsewhere. I note the link you added to the other thread isn't working but I'm sure we can put a zip with the required files somewhere.

(05-23-2013, 04:18 PM)doveman link Wrote:Regarding MK4_HUD, the version on Six contains a file mk4_fix_sthud.pbo which causes an error on launch if ST_HUD isn't also enabled.
What?! I know mike and I am certain he didn't create any STHUD dependencies.
Let's leave it out then in the meantime until we sort this thing out.

(05-23-2013, 04:18 PM)doveman link Wrote:I note the link you added to the other thread isn't working but I'm sure we can put a zip with the required files somewhere.
What link are we talking about?

(05-23-2013, 05:19 PM)Variable link Wrote:What?! I know mike and I am certain he didn't create any STHUD dependencies.
Let's leave it out then in the meantime until we sort this thing out.
What link are we talking about?

Yeah, it might have been added by mistake on Six so I'll leave it out for now. I've asked them to check it so we might be able to add it back at some point.

I meant the link you added here to a thread which contains a link for MK4_HUD, which in turn gives a 404 error.

Thanks, link fixed.

Thanks, I see now that this uses mk4_hud_info.pbo, whereas the @mk4 on Six uses mk4_show_info.pbo (plus that mk4_fix_sthud.pbo) so it appears they're quite different mods!

OK, I think these should work Smile

So you just need to put the files in a subfolder named six on the server.

In order to make them work in both SU and PwS, I've had to use fake port numbers in the test-ACE and test-noACE profiles, as if all the profiles use the same IP:port number, SU gets confused and mixes them up. They work fine in PwS with the same port but as using a fake port only creates an extra (phantom) server listing in the PwS/SU browser and it's quite obvious which one is real, it seems to be a minor inconvenience worth putting up with for the sake of SU compatibility. Whilst it's no longer actively developed, I get the feeling some people still prefer SU over PwS but if that isn't the case or we'd rather encourage people just to use PwS we can set all the profiles to the same port and eliminate the phantom servers.

There's a couple of things you might need to tweak in the files.

In config.yml, under :hosts: it points to http://ciahome.net/six . If you're going to be hosting the files on a different server, you'll need to change the URL here accordingly.

Under Confusedervers: are the names for the three profiles, which match the files and therefore will be part of the links, i.e pws://ciahome.net/six/cia-cwr2 . You can change these to whatever you fancy, as long as you rename the files as well.

In each of the three profile files, the first line :name: specifies what will show in PwS/SU for each profile, so feel free to edit those if you want.

You might note I've put some mods under the :allowed mods: section but that won't be used anyway as we don't restrict mods at the moment, so just ignore that.

I suggest we have a closed test first, just to check they're loading into PwS/SU from the server OK, so if you can get them uploaded we can do that before publishing the links.

There are a few mods not on Six, so users will have to download these separately for now:

Trinity Standalone: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19644
Canard Island: http://cwr2.arma2.fr/?p=1102
MK4 HUD: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=16384

I'll upload a zip containing the hotze_trinity and mk4_hud_info files to my Google Drive, which players can download and extract if it's easier.

Uploaded to https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1fDI89phEESSzJpd3Q1bHBNSjQ/edit?usp=sharing
It contains a @server-cia-addons folder containing those files, so users can just extract it and add this folder to their CiA profiles in PwS / SU.

As for ACR, as far as I know PwS can't automatically activate ACR or ACR Lite depending on which is installed, so players will have to manually activate that as well for now. I generally tend to want the DLC enabled regardless of which modset I'm using, so just put "-mod=@baf;@pmc;acrlite" in the startup parameters in PwS but it can be added to the modsets individually if preferred.

I'll knock up some clearer instructions for players once we've tested the profiles though Smile

Re: Making a Custom Repo for CiA - TonyMarony - 05-24-2013

as i do not understand very much of the whole thing but love to see, that i dont have to care about the addons anymore, i really appreachiate your work! Its really a pain for non-regular players to keep track of all these addons (especially cwr2 is a bitch to me ;-) ). I installed six - services yesterday and i hope we can make this bundle work, as i think this will be a help for some guys (not only me ;-) )!

Re: Making a Custom Repo for CiA - doveman - 05-24-2013

Hey Fat Tony, thanks. That was my motivation for doing this, to take most of the pain out of managing the addons so that players can just get stuck in and play, so I'm glad to hear it will help you Smile

Re: Making a Custom Repo for CiA - doveman - 05-24-2013

Variable,

If it will help I can make the webserver running on my PC available temporarily and provide links to the profiles on that. I obviously can't guarantee it will always be on but it might be useful for testing and to help people get the required mods before Sunday until you can get the profiles uploaded to the CiA server.

Anyway, let me know what you want to do.