Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
New Arma-3 ready PC - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Technical Support (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: New Arma-3 ready PC (/showthread.php?tid=2426)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Re: New Arma-3 ready PC - Llauma - 10-11-2013

Try this tool to calculate required PSU:
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine
I did a quick check and it seems like you'll be good with a 550W PSU

Re: New Arma-3 ready PC - Fap - 10-11-2013

"ASRock H61M-DGS, 1155
Intel Core i5 3570 3,4 GHz Box, 1155 (BX80637I53570)
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760, 2 GB, PCI-E (GV-N760OC-2GD)

Do I need a new PSU? Current is 550W."

Depending on the PSU quality you should be fine, far above fine.

Wrong CPU you selected, be sure it's the K version, as you WILL be overclocking, maybe not a lot, but enough to warrant 5 dollars more or whatever it is Smile

Are you sure you want a Micro motherboard? If you can fit a regular ATX motherboard in your case you'll usually get much better quality for the same price (audio quality, overclocking, better PCI-E options and other stuff)

Also the specific H61M-DGS will only let you Turbo Boost to 4.1 GHz (on a single core, I think), not even overclock past 3.7 GHz, which is a REAL bummer for anything where CPU speed matters (cough*ArmA*cough)

Also where are you buying from? On Newegg at least, the 7950 is far cheaper than the 760 (and this is without mentioning the 3 games you could resell for a nice price)http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130933, and if your budget is what's stopping you from buying a decent motherboard, I'd most definitely go with the 7950 which performs the same, if not better.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202026

:fyi: My 7950 (the very first model available and funny enough also the shittiest model you can get, it has a stock cooler that defies logic, so small but yet it is enough to cool it, it's like the bumblebee, it shouldn't be flying but it does) with a really really mediocre overclock of 1000 core 1600 memory plays A3/2 with downsampling set to 2560x1440 at a constant 50-70+ fps. ArmA 2 has an occasional dip to 45 minimum on demanding graphical situations like 4 tanks blowing up at the same time or 10+ satchel charges going off.
ArmA 3 just tested 3840x2160(200% downsampling) at a steady 40-60 on the Helicopter scenario and two more I cba listing

Re: New Arma-3 ready PC - MCraze - 10-11-2013

Yes make sure it's the K version. This is critical!
As for PSU. If it's a good manufacturer and PSU isn't old - 550W will be enough.

New GeForces are very tame when it comes to power consumption so you will be fine.

HardOCP uses overclocked-to-hell PCs to test videocards and they also test power consumption
That's the full system load, not just videocard load.

[Image: 1373249141vufluiYpnE_9_1.gif]

So don't believe people who say you need from 700W and to infinity

"So don't believe people who say you need from 700W and to infinity"

Exactly!

Though I usually recommend people to get a 650W as that seems to be the best price/watt and covers almost everything, and even crossfire/SLI if they ever plan to do that in the future.

Re: New Arma-3 ready PC - Outlawz7 - 10-11-2013

(10-11-2013, 06:42 PM)Fap link Wrote: Wrong CPU you selected, be sure it's the K version, as you WILL be overclocking, maybe not a lot, but enough to warrant 5 dollars more or whatever it is Smile

Are you sure you want a Micro motherboard? If you can fit a regular ATX motherboard in your case you'll usually get much better quality for the same price (audio quality, overclocking, better PCI-E options and other stuff)

Also where are you buying from?

The price difference is 30 euros ($35 or so) where I'm looking. Prices seem to be jacked up in general.

I picked that mobo, because it's the cheapest. I can afford to buy one part that costs 200-300, but when they start piling up, I have to cut somewhere. To be honest, I just pick the one that fits the CPU, never gave a damn about audio.

I'm actually stuck at the GPU, I'd like to buy a GTX 760 and the AOC m2752V monitor (I've had a Flatron L1710S for 10 years now), but going for GTX 650 and keeping the old monitor would save me 400 euros.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=htttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.mimovrste.com&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=sl&tl=en

(10-11-2013, 09:12 PM)Outlawz7 link Wrote: The price difference is 30 euros ($35 or so) where I'm looking. Prices seem to be jacked up in general.

I picked that mobo, because it's the cheapest. I can afford to buy one part that costs 200-300, but when they start piling up, I have to cut somewhere. To be honest, I just pick the one that fits the CPU, never gave a damn about audio.

I'm actually stuck at the GPU, I'd like to buy a GTX 760 and the AOC m2752V monitor (I've had a Flatron L1710S for 10 years now), but going for GTX 650 and keeping the old monitor would save me 400 euros.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=htttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.mimovrste.com&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=sl&tl=en

Are you sure there are no other websites where the prices aren't that jacked up?
In general, the K processors should only cost 5-20 dollars more, and are worth the little extra by a whole whole lot, it's not the same processor, keep that in mind Smile

A GTX 650 won't perform anywhere near a 7950/GTX 760 though so that would be a waste of money..

My main point about the motherboard you selected is that it won't overclock, giving you much much less performance for what you're spending, audio and the other things were just very good bonuses alongside it Smile

Yes, I agree it piles up to a decent pile of money, but we can't go around spending money on stuff that won't last or is generally much worse in the performance/price ratio just to get what we want "now" :/

If you can't afford everything right now, instead of buying subpar components, I'd just buy everything except the GPU, and then buy the GPU next month or whenever money is available.

In all seriousness, this is the only real way to go about upgrading, bang for buck and longevity.

:edit: Also any reason why you're thinking of a seemingly generic 1080p monitor? Haven't seen a single review for it anywhere :/ Why not go 2560x1440/1600 in a few months to REALLY get some visual pleasure Wink Trust me on that, the jump to 2560 is something you don't jump back down from.

Well, honestly, if you just want to "play" ArmA 3 with decent settings at 1080p, you can go 660 TI or 7850/or whatever else equivalents there are and go with the 2500/3570/4670 (non K) and still play it at an acceptable fps, but doing that would at least make mefeel unsatisfied, not being able to max it out completely and not get a steady 50-60 FPS, but it's up to you, really. I would do what I suggested first though..

P67 or Z77 motherboard and a 3570k/2500k
Pretty sure you're gonna have to buy more ram too, but that should be fairly cheap
a 7950 or GTX 760 if the 760 isn't super expensive, considering the 7950 performs the same.
And then a 27 inch (at least) 2560x1440+ screen later on when money allows

Found this website http://www.nakupovanje.net/izdelki/racunalnistvo/komponente/procesorji/2347/intel-core-i5-3570k-s1155-box-procesor

Holy shit, you weren't kidding about the prices being jacked up, in this case more fucked than jacked, the GTX 760 is much cheaper than the 7950 on these websites, what the hell! Though, yeah, they're more expensive in general.. aghhh I feel for you.

Re: New Arma-3 ready PC - Outlawz7 - 10-12-2013

Alright, went for Gigabyte GA-Z77-HD3, 1155 as mobo and dropped the monitor.

There isn't much choice on that website when it comes to monitors really.

Also, I've posted about upgrading on another forum and they advise to wait two weeks for new AMD GPUs to come so the prices drop (hopefully).

I guess I can buy the CPU+HDD now and GPU+monitor later then.

Is ArmA3 GPU or CPU heavy? Because as long as I can run it fairly well, I don't care how Minecraft-y the graphics are.

So again:
Gigabyte GA-Z77-HD3, 1155
Intel Core i5 3570K 3,4 GHz Box, 1155 (BX80637I53570KSR0PM)
WD Blue 1 TB, 7200 rpm, 64 MB, SATA III (WD10EZEX)

I've also never overclocked CPUs before, should I consider an extra fan for cooling or something like that?

Re: New Arma-3 ready PC - Fap - 10-12-2013

(10-12-2013, 12:53 AM)Outlawz7 link Wrote: Alright, went for Gigabyte GA-Z77-HD3, 1155 as mobo and dropped the monitor.

There isn't much choice on that website when it comes to monitors really.

Also, I've posted about upgrading on another forum and they advise to wait two weeks for new AMD GPUs to come so the prices drop (hopefully).

I guess I can buy the CPU+HDD now and GPU+monitor later then.

Is ArmA3 GPU or CPU heavy? Because as long as I can run it fairly well, I don't care how Minecraft-y the graphics are.

So again:
Gigabyte GA-Z77-HD3, 1155
Intel Core i5 3570K 3,4 GHz Box, 1155 (BX80637I53570KSR0PM)
WD Blue 1 TB, 7200 rpm, 64 MB, SATA III (WD10EZEX)

I've also never overclocked CPUs before, should I consider an extra fan for cooling or something like that?

The stock cooling that comes with the 3570k should be enough for the moderate overclocking you're going to be doing, further down the line you might want to opt for a better air cooler or even a closed water cooling loop (generally more expensive, but perform slightly better with less noise) and overclock that beastly CPU even further Smile

I actually recommended  that you should wait for the R7 and R9 series but it seemed you were unwilling to wait, so I recommended the cards that are available as of this moment Wink Not that it's going to matter a whole lot on the final outcome, but it's a decent bump in performance if you got an R9 series card, or if the release dropped the current pricings that would be great too.

The GA-Z77-HD3 is almost the same as my UD3h iirc, should overclock quite similarly, nice choice

And I believe the iGPU on the 3570k should run ArmA 3 at low, I mean the HD4000 isn't far from your ages old 9600 GT if it's the DDR2 version, suffice to say the integrated GPU actually has more vram if you let it... and apparently it's nothing more than a button or two you need to click to overclock it something like 20% so it might even be better than your discrete GPU. Don't quote me on this, I just know it runs games, haven't really bothered reading up on iGPU performance Smile

*facepalm* Just realized you were talking about your 9600 GT. Well, you can try both of the GPU's and then pick whichever is best, in any case, it's going to run MASSIVELY better with your new 3570k.

I'd recommend overclocking the 9600 GT too if that's what you're going to use, do you know if it's the DDR2 or GDDR3 version? On both you should be able to get at least a 30% overclock out of it, making the wait abit more bearable..

and oi, don't bash minecraft, it actually looks damn pretty if you play with the right mods Tongue

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/4/47538/2295271-1.jpg

Re: New Arma-3 ready PC - Alwarren - 10-12-2013

(10-12-2013, 12:53 AM)Outlawz7 link Wrote: Is ArmA3 GPU or CPU heavy? Because as long as I can run it fairly well, I don't care how Minecraft-y the graphics are.

My graphics card isn't exactly top of the line (RadeonHD 6870) and I get decent FPS out of the game, and going down with resolution only has marginal effect. I would say that Arma 3 is mostly CPU-heavy; put a couple of units on the map with nothing to do, and I get decent framerate, give them waypoints and the frame rate drops.

At least that is my observation.

Re: New Arma-3 ready PC - MCraze - 10-12-2013

Don't go 650

You want to be future proof and running ArmA3 at 3+ km view distance makes the world of difference.

With 3570k and 760 the PC will last you for at least 2 years - as next-gen consoles have a puny AMD laptop CPU yet still a videocard that is not much below 660. So if you will want to play future multiplatform games you want to have an edge (because you'll never know if they will optimize them right) over XBone/PS4 GPU-wise, let alone more demanding PC exclusives.

You will have to switch out 650 anyway very soon, so why not just pay once now and forget about it for years?

Re: New Arma-3 ready PC - Fap - 10-13-2013

(10-12-2013, 03:32 PM)MCraze link Wrote: Don't go 650

You want to be future proof and running ArmA3 at 3+ km view distance makes the world of difference.

You will have to switch out 650 anyway very soon, so why not just pay once now and forget about it for years?

^ this

Think of your PC as a platform you're slowly building your house on.

Re: New Arma-3 ready PC - Outlawz7 - 10-13-2013

Well I ordered the mobo, cpu and hdd and keeping an eye on GPU prices.

Can someone suggest a monitor? I've been Googling what they have on that website and most seem to have fake reviews telling how great they are.

Re: New Arma-3 ready PC - Fap - 10-14-2013

(10-13-2013, 09:00 AM)Outlawz7 link Wrote: fake reviews

Well, to be honest, most reviews on websites that aren't actual reviewers I never really trust even if they sound legit..

How comfortable are you with dead pixels? You can take a gamble and order 3-4 screens from china for the same price as one, but warranty = nope, my friend ordered from there though and I feel he got pretty lucky with a  2560x1440 screen with only three dead pixels and two other lower res screens with no dead pixels at all...

However, really, there is only reviews to be googled and all of that is really up to you, I haven't been into the monitor development for very long since my two 40 inch screens are never going to be replaced Tongue

tomshardware.com
overclock.net
uhhhhh, and a ton more to go through

would recommend using googles search filter and browse for the most recent releases and see what's available/new

Re: New Arma-3 ready PC - Outlawz7 - 10-15-2013

Now running i5, off to see what it does to ArmA. ^.^