Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
Task Force Arrowhead Radio on Arma 3 server - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: CiA Addon Requirements & Dedicated Servers (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Task Force Arrowhead Radio on Arma 3 server (/showthread.php?tid=2540)

Pages: 1 2

Task Force Arrowhead Radio on Arma 3 server - Variable - 01-10-2014

After testing the TFA Arrowhead Radio, we have decided to add him permanently to the CiA Arma 3 server. Please install it for the next Arma 3 coop night you plan to join.

Follow the installation instructions carefully. If you need assistance, feel free to post here and we will help you.

Download link and installation instructions.

Re: Task Force Arrowhead Radio on Arma 3 server - Alwarren - 03-14-2014

After a few people had issues yesterday,  it seems PwS reverts back to the old plug-in if you have the latest TeamSpeak client..
You might want to try again once PwS had the latest version of TFA, or install the plug-in after you started the game

Re: Task Force Arrowhead Radio on Arma 3 server - ck-claw - 03-15-2014

Was getting fooked off with it Thursday night!
Just checked PwS and for some reason was the only mod i had not setup via PwS.
Deleted it out, installed it with PwS and all up and running now  Smile

Re: Task Force Arrowhead Radio on Arma 3 server - doveman - 04-28-2014

Sorry you guys had trouble with TFAR on Sunday.

For future reference, you can set a mod in PwS to a certain version and it will stay on that until you manually change it. Here's a screenshot showing where you click to do this.

[Image: Pw_S_TFAR.png]

So assuming we've upgraded to 0.9.0 now, I'd suggest everyone sets it to that, not Latest, so that it won't automatically update in future and we can update when we're ready.

Re: Task Force Arrowhead Radio on Arma 3 server - doveman - 04-30-2014

(04-29-2014, 11:31 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:nKey on the BIS forum said that it should be possible to disable the rifleman radios by server config. Also, a team leader can "reprogram" the rifleman radio to his frequencies, although I don't know how that works.

I think he's said he's going to patch it so that the rifleman radios can be disabled by the (serverside) userconfig but I don't know how soon that might be, so we might need to revert to 0.8.3 until then to avoid running into problems.

For reprogramming the radios, as I understand it the way it works is that someone has to take the other person's radio and then they can copy their own radio settings/presets to it but that obviously only helps if they're near each other. I'm also not sure if this means you can copy from rifleman radio to rifleman radio or only from the programmable radio to a rifleman radio. If the latter and the team leader has the only programmable radio and gets killed and no-one else picks it up, then any players left with rifleman radios and on different frequencies wouldn't be able to syncronise them.

Re: Task Force Arrowhead Radio on Arma 3 server - Variable - 04-30-2014

(04-30-2014, 04:14 AM)doveman link Wrote: I think he's said he's going to patch it so that the rifleman radios can be disabled by the (serverside) userconfig but I don't know how soon that might be, so we might need to revert to 0.8.3 until then to avoid running into problems.
Reverting back will cause more headache and trouble than coping with the current design. Let's see how can we work around the problems.

Good news! Mr. Azza claims we can have our communication network architecture we are used to from Arma 2 using TFAR (all listen to command net), using something that is called an "alternate channel". Does anybody have some spare time to investigate that for us before tomorrow's coop?
Read here and onwards.

Re: Task Force Arrowhead Radio on Arma 3 server - Varanon - 04-30-2014

(04-30-2014, 10:07 AM)Variable link Wrote: Good news! Mr. Azza claims we can have our communication network architecture we are used to from Arma 2 using TFAR (all listen to command net), using something that is called an "alternate channel". Does anybody have some spare time to investigate that for us before tomorrow's coop?

Is that something we can set up ourselves ? I was under the impression that it would require changes in TFAR itself.

That's what needs investigation

Re: Task Force Arrowhead Radio on Arma 3 server - doveman - 04-30-2014

(04-30-2014, 10:07 AM)Variable link Wrote: Good news! Mr. Azza claims we can have our communication network architecture we are used to from Arma 2 using TFAR (all listen to command net), using something that is called an "alternate channel". Does anybody have some spare time to investigate that for us before tomorrow's coop?
Read here and onwards.

It seems straightforward enough. The leader opens his SR (I think that's what nkey meant by SW and sets the Alternate channel to a certain freq. Then everyone else does the same with their SR. When the leader wants to talk to everyone, he presses Y to transmit on the SR Alternate channel. Everyone within range (<5km) will hear it as the SR receives transmissions on both the Main and Alternate channel, regardless of which one is set as Active (i.e. which one is transmitted on when the SR transmit key is pressed).

However, it might be easier for the leader to just use the Transmit Global VON key (mapped to something unused like Home or End) if he wants everyone to always be able to hear him. Fireteam/Squad leaders can either transmit back the same way or use the LR, so that only those with LR radios (and people standing nearby) will hear their replies. Using VON will have the advantage of not being restricted by range, so everyone will be able to hear the leader.

I'm not sure how it works in real-life. If command is static somewhere, I guess he could have a high-powered transmitter to reach everyone on the SR freq but their radios probably wouldn't have enough power to transmit back. Obviously not every soldier carries a large and heavy LR for this purpose. So does anyone know how they do it? I guess the LR could act as a relay to forward incoming LR onto the Alternate SR freq and receive transmissions from grunts on that freq to relay them back to command on the LR?

Re: Task Force Arrowhead Radio on Arma 3 server - doveman - 05-01-2014

As the SR and LR frequency ranges partially overlap, another thing we can do is set the LR to say 50Mhz and the SR Alternate channel to 50Mhz and then everyone will be able to hear the LR comms, although only those with LR will be able to transmit over 5km. To avoid hearing the LR comms twice, the team leaders (i.e. anyone with a LR) should probably not set their SR Alternate channel to 50Mhz.y

It seems there's another issue, in that the transmit on Alt SR channel default key, T, breaks the lock-on to target when using AT function. http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?169029-Task-Force-Arrowhead-Radio&p=2679169&viewfull=1#post2679169

I don't know if this can be worked around by either remapping the TFAR key or the lock-on key but if not, I think we'll have to revert to v0.8.3 until it's fixed as we can't have the lock-on function not working can we?. To be honest, I didn't even know that T was supposed to lock-on and thought that TAB did that but maybe I have it remapped.

Re: Task Force Arrowhead Radio on Arma 3 server - Variable - 05-01-2014

(05-01-2014, 03:58 PM)doveman link Wrote: As the SR and LR frequency ranges partially overlap, another thing we can do is set the LR to say 50Mhz and the SR Alternate channel to 50Mhz and then everyone will be able to hear the LR comms, although only those with LR will be able to transmit over 5km. To avoid hearing the LR comms twice, the team leaders (i.e. anyone with a LR) should probably not set their SR Alternate channel to 50Mhz.y
That's great news. Let's try that tonight!

(05-01-2014, 03:58 PM)doveman link Wrote: It seems there's another issue, in that the transmit on Alt SR channel default key, T, breaks the lock-on to target when using AT function. http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?169029-Task-Force-Arrowhead-Radio&p=2679169&viewfull=1#post2679169

I don't know if this can be worked around by either remapping the TFAR key or the lock-on key but if not, I think we'll have to revert to v0.8.3 until it's fixed as we can't have the lock-on function not working can we?. To be honest, I didn't even know that T was supposed to lock-on and thought that TAB did that but maybe I have it remapped.
T is not even the default key for lock on, it's Tab. And doveman, whenever suggesting to revert a version back please take into account the 45 minutes it took us to get everybody aligned when PwS decided to update TFAR version. It's going to be the same headache all over again if we change a version, whether it's forward or backward. Even if this issue exist (which I suspect that it's not) it's going to take more than that to make us revert to a previous version.

Re: Task Force Arrowhead Radio on Arma 3 server - doveman - 05-01-2014

(05-01-2014, 04:10 PM)Variable link Wrote: T is not even the default key for lock on, it's Tab. And doveman, whenever suggesting to revert a version back please take into account the 45 minutes it took us to get everybody aligned when PwS decided to update TFAR version. It's going to be the same headache all over again if we change a version, whether it's forward or backward. Even if this issue exist (which I suspect that it's not) it's going to take more than that to make us revert to a previous version.

It was only a suggestion for discussion, not advising players to do it. If we don't think it's going to be a problem or we'd rather put up with it than revert, then fine. I know you had a bad experience with PwS updating the mod automatically last week but it will only take a few seconds for people using PwS to revert back. I appreciate not everyone uses PwS though and would have to do it manually and the server would need to be reverted as well.

Best we check tonight that everyone using PwS knows to set it to v0.9 and not Latest, to make sure it doesn't update again until we're ready.

Re: Task Force Arrowhead Radio on Arma 3 server - doveman - 06-29-2014

If anyone's having problems with their mic quality, nkey has posted a temporary fix until he updates TFAR:
http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?169029-Task-Force-Arrowhead-Radio&p=2717791&viewfull=1#post2717791

Re: Task Force Arrowhead Radio on Arma 3 server - 3lackrose - 07-08-2014

Hello guys maybe you already know it, but anyway me and Alias ran some tests to check the maximum range for the direct voice.

With the "yelling" setting we could hear up to 55 meters, at 60 meters the voice was still barely hearable but too faint to actually understand the words. Just sharing the results, you may find it useful to know or not at all.