Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
My Kernel power crash - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Technical Support (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: My Kernel power crash (/showthread.php?tid=2890)

Pages: 1 2

Re: My Kernel power crash - Variable - 02-19-2015

Why not both?
Claim warranty, get a new and powerful one and sell the replaced one ("never used, still in the box")? Smile

Alwarren, now you got me worried. How can I monitor the PSU and confirm that it's not bottlenecking anything?

Re: My Kernel power crash - Horus - 02-19-2015

(02-19-2015, 12:30 PM)Variable link Wrote: Why not both?
Claim warranty, get a new and powerful one and sell the replaced one ("never used, still in the box")? Smile
+1

Quote:Alwarren, now you got me worried. How can I monitor the PSU and confirm that it's not bottlenecking anything?

If you use that PSU for more than 5 years it's time for a replacement.

Re: My Kernel power crash - Variable - 02-19-2015

(02-19-2015, 03:47 PM)Horus link Wrote: If you use that PSU for more than 5 years it's time for a replacement.
I probably use it for 7  Sad

It's time for new1  Wink

Re: My Kernel power crash - Alwarren - 02-19-2015

(02-19-2015, 12:30 PM)Variable link Wrote: Alwarren, now you got me worried. How can I monitor the PSU and confirm that it's not bottlenecking anything?

There is a couple of utilities that can do that. HWInfo is a very good general monitor. GPU-Z is very good for watching the graphics card, since it also outputs a log file. Both are good to diagnose.

Re: My Kernel power crash - Misha - 02-19-2015

Running PSU that barely fits into GPU power requirement is always a bit risky. Although there are always exceptions, sometimes even unbelievable ones, in most cases and especially if PSU is not from one of the top brands it will cause problems.

Funny thing once I had PSU that would fail only when I played OFP and it was Thermaltake 600W and card was 8800GT. Never underestimate OFP requirements!

Re: My Kernel power crash - Outlawz7 - 02-19-2015

Suggestions for new PSU?

Re: My Kernel power crash - Misha - 02-19-2015

Corsair, Seasonic, I don't know, depends what's available.

If you can buy this Antec/SeaSonic ... review.

Re: My Kernel power crash - Outlawz7 - 02-20-2015

Funnily enough the PSU I borrowed was a Corsair. Thanks Horus, I'll keep that one in mind.

Re: My Kernel power crash - Outlawz7 - 02-28-2015

(02-19-2015, 11:15 PM)Horus link Wrote: If you can buy this Antec/SeaSonic ... review.

Bought and installed, here's to no more power crashes  ;D

In other news my other monitor (the 12 years old one) finally died while I was swapping the PSUs, I turned it off but it wouldn't turn on again. Meh, more desktop space. :p