Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
Hunting, gear, prey and good old storries - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Offtopic (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Hunting, gear, prey and good old storries (/showthread.php?tid=3157)

Hunting, gear, prey and good old storries - Evans - 11-05-2015

I know Stag is hunting, anybody elese?

I mostly hunt elk and deer and the occasional fox.

The rifle I use is a tikka m690 with a trijicon reflex sight.

Re: Hunting, gear, prey and good old storries - Stagwine - 11-06-2015

Mostly small game, grouses, rabbits. I mostly use shotgun, Benelli Supernova.

Evans, Finnish rifle and Trijicon. Can't go wrong. Which caliber is your Tikka? 30-06?

Re: Hunting, gear, prey and good old storries - Watchmen - 11-06-2015

Just curious does anyone watch mcqbushcraft on youtube?

Re: Hunting, gear, prey and good old storries - Evans - 11-07-2015

(11-06-2015, 12:09 AM)Stagwine link Wrote: Mostly small game, grouses, rabbits. I mostly use shotgun, Benelli Supernova.

Evans, Finnish rifle and Trijicon. Can't go wrong. Which caliber is your Tikka? 30-06?

Yeah, it's the 30-06 version. My next weapon will probably be a tikka t3, either 6.5 or .308 would be nice with a smaller caliber when deerhunting. When i finally get my next rifle I think i will put my reflex sight on it and buy a trijicon accupower for the 30-06
When I hunt with a shotgun i borrow my dads beretta silver pigeon, beautiful gun! That supernova looks epic aswell though.

(11-06-2015, 09:46 AM)Watchmen link Wrote: Just curious does anyone watch mcqbushcraft on youtube?

No, never heard of

Re: Hunting, gear, prey and good old storries - Rund - 11-08-2015

Just wondering, what do you do with the animals afterwards? You prepare and eat them yourself, or sell them as a whole?

Re: Hunting, gear, prey and good old storries - Evans - 11-08-2015

(11-08-2015, 03:09 PM)rundll.exe link Wrote: Just wondering, what do you do with the animals afterwards? You prepare and eat them yourself, or sell them as a whole?

Freezer is fully stocked with elk! Roasts, minced meat and steaks. A very nice and lean meat.
The hides doesn't really have any value except for the fox winter coat, fluffy and red.
And if you are lucky enough to shoot something with antlers you mount it and hang it on the wall.

Re: Hunting, gear, prey and good old storries - Stagwine - 11-11-2015

Yes, prepare and cook!  Yum! I live in city and I have less chances for hunting these days, but well made game is really delicious! Here hunting season for grouses and related birds are quite short, usually between September and October, and this year there are even more restrictions  due smaller populations. I'm really envious glad for Swedes. They have excellent chances to hunt grouses/birds, and it is also allowed in winter.

30-06 is a gentlemans old school cartridge. Stylish choice and a real rifle caliber. Personally I am huge fan of 6.5x55 (Swedish mauser). It is very versatile. With a proper bullet selection, it 'does it all'. Birds, deer, etc. It also has very nice ballistic properties and offers lot of fun for handloader. If I would have to choose between .308 or 6.5 for hunting, I would probably pick the latter.

Re: Hunting, gear, prey and good old storries - McGregor - 11-11-2015

(11-08-2015, 08:32 PM)Evans link Wrote: Freezer is fully stocked

Moose in beer FTW!

Re: Hunting, gear, prey and good old storries - Evans - 11-11-2015

(11-11-2015, 09:42 PM)McGregor link Wrote: Moose in beer FTW!

Yeah, I make a killer elk chili Smile

Re: Hunting, gear, prey and good old storries - Rund - 11-12-2015

Sounds good, when can I taste?  ;D

I'm a bit jealous of the scandinavians too, since they seem to have way more basic "survival" skills as hunting and skinning/preparing meat. I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to skin a grouse, let alone a deer/elk.

On the other hand, we have noting to hunt here anyway (Foxes are quire rare in the fields now, deer and Elk are Illegal to shoot).
On top of that, hunting for "fun" here is not socially accepted anymore, all the city people find it cruel, and the regulations are very strict (which is a good thing IMO).

Re: Hunting, gear, prey and good old storries - McGregor - 11-12-2015

(11-11-2015, 11:25 PM)Evans link Wrote: Yeah, I make a killer elk chili Smile

Dude in Sweden it's Moose not Elk  Wink

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elk
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moose

Re: Hunting, gear, prey and good old storries - Watchmen - 11-12-2015

(11-12-2015, 12:14 AM)rundll.exe link Wrote: Sounds good, when can I taste?  ;D

I'm a bit jealous of the scandinavians too, since they seem to have way more basic "survival" skills as hunting and skinning/preparing meat. I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to skin a grouse, let alone a deer/elk.

On the other hand, we have noting to hunt here anyway (Foxes are quire rare in the fields now, deer and Elk are Illegal to shoot).
On top of that, hunting for "fun" here is not socially accepted anymore, all the city people find it cruel, and the regulations are very strict (which is a good thing IMO).
Ehhhh you could go to the local butchery factory if you really want that experience. Survival can be practiced anywhere there is a forest or wilderness, though i dont think packing along bottles of drinking water and a chiller of frozen meat counts as survival. You could try fishing for starters instead of hunting.