Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: OFP: WGL equipment use
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've noticed that many players don't know how to properly use equipment in WGL because thay haven't RTFM.

For example, when a #2 operator on the 84mm Carl Gustav is reqired to unpack another round for the #1 operator, he usually just drops it from the loadout menu on the map/notebook screen. This is incorrect, as the #1 cannot pick it up and reload the weapon - the #2 need to actually unpack the round from his rucksack - this is done by selecting weapon ruck from the action menu, reloading ruck with the equipment you want to unpack, then hitting you fire button when a ruck item is selected to unpack it. Below are more detailed instructions.

Not knowing how to use the WGL ruck system can lead to mission critical weapons and equipment being lost - which is a pain in the arse for the commander.

I urge all to at least look through these documents in your @wgl5 folder:

C:\Program Files\Codemasters\Operation Flashpoint\@wgl5\doc\manuals

1. wgl4_field_manual.pdf

2. wgl4_tech_manual.pdf

RUCKSACKS

• Magazines removed from the rucksacks can be used by anyone
• A unit can carry ammunition and supplies for any weapon available, not just the weapon they use
• Bundles of magazines can be given to other people with rucksacks at any time (swap them at will)
• Rucksack inventory stays with rucksack if dropped on ground
• Rucksack inventory does not use regular inventory space used by rifle magazines and grenades
• Rucksack system allows for any combination of items to be carried, space permitting
• Mission editors can customize contents of rucksacks
• Players can customize contents of rucksack while on Planning Screen (before game starts)
• AI can be commanded to locate and use items from their rucksacks
• Rucksacks can be used to carry pre-packaged AT weapons (M72 LAW and RPG22)
• Rucksacks can also be used to carry an additional AA/AT missile/s

QUESTION: How do I use the rucksack?
ANSWER: Follow the steps below to remove something from your rucksack for use in a weapon:
1. Using the action menu select "Rucksack (M16 Magazines)" or something similar because
the message varies depending on what you're carrying...
2. To place that magazine on the ground click your fire button (left mouse button) or go to
Step 3 if you want to select something else from your rucksack...
3. If you want to access something else in your rucksack, go back to the action menu and select "Reload Ruck M249" or something similar. You should have a list of up to 4 items. Wait a second or three for the item to be loaded.
4. Go to Step 2 to place the magazine on the ground.

QUESTION: What is the rucksack system and why is it important?
ANSWER: The rucksack system is based around custom rucksack magazines that act like bundles of magazines. A rucksack M16 magazine, for instance, is a bundle of 3 magazines that only takes up 1 inventory space. This effectively triples your carrying ability. You can also carry magazines for weapons you don't have so that you can share them with a buddy (like a Machinegunner).

QUESTION: Can I carry AT when carrying a rucksack?
ANSWER: No and yes. No you can not carry a tube. However you can carry additional rounds for someone else depending on the type of AT rocket or missile. The RPG7, RPG7VL, and Carl Gustav all have rounds that can be carried in the rucksack for a teammate.
You can also carry entire LAW or RPG22 rockets in the rucksack. To remove them from the ruck and place them on the ground follow the steps listed above. When it is placed on the ground you can then pick it up and use it. When you do that your ruck will be put on the ground. You can carry 2 LAW or RPG22 rockets in the ruck, but you can only pick up 1 at a time after removing them from the ruck.

QUESTION: Can I pick stuff up and put it back into the ruck?
ANSWER: Not exactly. You can reorganize your pack by dropping or picking up pack bundles all you want. So there's no limits to the combinations of pack magazines you can carry. However once you have placed something from the pack there's no way to pick it back up and store it in your ruck again.

QUESTION: Can the rucksacks carry weapons?
ANSWER: No, with the exception of the LAW and RPG22 that was discussed earlier.

QUESTION: Can the rucksack be dropped?
ANSWER: Yes, and it will retain what has been loaded into it or used already.

BANDAGES

If you are bleeding - you will know, because you will see blood pissing out on the ground, you will hear a pumping sound between your ears and you will be blacking or whiting out, you need to apply bandages fast. Do this through your action menu. Remember to unpack them first if they are in your rucksack. You may need to apply many depending on the severity of you wounds and where you are hit. Keep applying untill you stop bleeding. I have once had to apply 12 when my guts were hanging out because I dived on a grenade to save OL, when I turned around to look at him to get some bangades I'd noticed he had already run away toward the rear position and left me because the enemy were coming... >Sad

Remember the bandages won't actually heal you, they will only stop life-threatening bleeding - you still need to find a combat medic or field hospital.

Hope the above helps...
A have told you. You cant trust the norwegans Marto ;D
I didn't realize that there was a TFM until just now. Guess I better read up. Tongue

Edit: Ye Gods, I never realized there were so many changes. Rucksacks, authentic muzzle velocities, tanks getting hit in the tracks easily, liek srsly omgwtfbbqlolol

Another edit: And in their list of helicopter changes, they forgot to include the most important: You can't just jump out of your helicopter at will anymore. Big Grin
(10-18-2009, 04:05 PM)RKDmitriyev link Wrote: [ -> ]Another edit: And in their list of helicopter changes, they forgot to include the most important: You can't just jump out of your helicopter at will anymore. Big Grin
I think this feature have been in WGL for quite some time, it's not a "new" feature anymore Smile
Marto, M249 mags seem to be a special case.
I remember Viking having an issue with his: he dropped his ruck 249 mags and was unable to recover them (he was our SAW guy). After some testing, I've found that if you're equipped with the 249, you can't recover placed 249 mags unless you've spent at least 1 mag-full of rounds. Also, it seems from my testing that placed ruck 249 mags are recoverable only by soldiers equipped with that weapon. e.g. a Force Recon soldier equipped w/ M4SD and ruck 249 mag can place the 249 mag, but can't recover it and a 249 equipped soldier won't be able to recover it, as well, unless he's down at least one mag.

Does this sound right? Do you know of any other weapons that behave like this? Have I missed this discussed elsewhere?

edit: I got the answers to my questions in your answer to the fourth question above. Everything follows from that. I guess we can let my bit above serve as an illustration (of thick-headedness, at least. . .Big Grin).
Yep you can only pick up a mag if you got an ampty slot for one, just like from any ammo crate...

Also the above Q4 is not entirely true: you can actually repack 40mm grenades if you have 3 and a rucksack...
Something else worth noting is crew served weapons such as konkors, tow, ags...etc. can only be picked back up again if the current magazine is empty.
(12-16-2009, 03:44 AM)Zulu1 link Wrote: [ -> ]Something else worth noting is crew served weapons such as konkors, tow, ags...etc. can only be picked back up again if the current magazine is empty.

Hey Zulu,

I dont think that's true for WGL only for FDF. Vehicle carried TOW and Konkurs launchers etc can be undeployed and deployed no matter what ammo state.

Same as infantry carried M2, NSV and AGS17, it's just that if there is less than 100% ammo in the currently loaded magazine, then you lose tha mag. If the currently loaded mag is 100% full then it will be on the ground when you pick up the crew served weapon and tripod.

Very important also note: You must drop your rucksack before you can pick up an infantry carried crew-served weapon or tripod, and you automatically get a new rucksack when you deploy it...
Marto,

It maybe obsolete info but I read this on a WGL site:

Quote:Question:
How do I disassemble the mortars and machineguns?

Answer:
The mortar must be empty, which means you can't disassemble it while there's a round loaded into the tube. Also, you will have to drop any secondary weapon or rucksack. Dropping the rucksack is usually what people forget to do. Machineguns can not be disassembled unless the current magazine is either EMPTY or FULL. If you have started to use the magazine you will need to finish it before you can disassemble.
Ah I see...

Could be true for the mortars, havent tested it..

But I did test the MGs and you can dissassemble but you lose the mag if it is a bit used...
@Zulu1 can you put here a link for that WGL web where from u have this kind of "news"?
cause it seems that there is many quite important info.  Smile
WGL Mod Help Site FAQ

This is the FAQ of the WGL Wiki. Zulu's quote comes from the 'Various' topic. Check out the entire site for good stuff on WGL.