Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Debriefing, 06 Dec 2009
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(12-07-2009, 03:15 PM)Zwobot link Wrote: [ -> ][quote author=Marto link=topic=1994.msg10694#msg10694 date=1260187546]
The biggest problem I found was before the mission: it took us 35 minutes to slot in and get to the briefing - it would be nice if this didn't happen, especially with a pre-slotted/planned mission. I understand not everyone can commit for sure, but it would be nice for everyone to be there at 2000hrs, with teamspeak/channel commander already set up ready for the final briefing.
I totally agree with this. 35 minutes is way too long to get a mission with ahead planning going. Apperantly not everyone checks the froum regularly for mission announcements or at least don't participate in the pre-mission slot selection. But we should find a way to at least get the most important slots assigned in the forum planning phase of those missions: Commander, Squadleaders and other essential slots like Forward Observers...
[/quote]

How about finding another day for this kind of gameplay? E.g. Thuesdays (or whatever suits best). This will for sure only attract players who want to play these kind of missions and others can join the "normal" coop nights Wednesdays and Sundays.

I guess that will give more room for planning/ pre-briefing too, with only players dedicated to the mission on server.
(12-08-2009, 12:26 AM)Overlord link Wrote: [ -> ]How about finding another day for this kind of gameplay? E.g. Thuesdays (or whatever suits best). This will for sure only attract players who want to play these kind of missions and others can join the "normal" coop nights Wednesdays and Sundays.

I would vote for this (for what it's worth  Tongue ). At first I was thinking that Sundays would be better because more people would be off work, but most people here are from Europe and it must be around 20:00 where most of you live.

BTW, were you suggesting Tuesdays or Thursdays?  Big Grin
I would vote to keep it on a Sunday.

Most people only attend on a Sunday and it is an established coop time.

Moving to another day wouldn't necessarily speed up slotting time. That's just something that attending players should be mindful of when a coop time is scheduled no matter which day it is. As I said, I understand players can't commit always, besides as it's just a game, but it is the process of slotting up and getting the mission started that needs to be sped up for courtesy to all players.

But if enough people voted and would like to move it to another day then I  wouldn't mind either.
I really enjoyed this mission. Gum did a very professional job commanding the squad through out, and the team performed very well. It seemed we were engaging at significant distances each time in this mission, which was good for the arty (not so good for my vision with those archaiac iron sights though lol.) I fired alot of rounds but I dont think I hit anything except with grenades and the RPO. BTW Marto I did use the RPO and it was devastatingly effective at 200m ( i had 9 kills and probably 7-8 were from this one shot). The whole mission had a good realistic feel ( also somewhat nostalgic for me). We approached each objective and engagement in a very professional and systematic way, which is a real credit to the leadership from zwobot down to the squad leaders, and the attitudes of the troops themselves. Watching Martos arty pound those poor devils on the ridge line  was a real thrill, however when that same firepower destroyed a hill we had just moved from it got the adrenalin pumping. I will admit that sundays can be difficult for me (the wife often has other plans for my time then letting me spend 3 hours playing a computer game, the problem is she doesnt always tell me about them until that morning) I hate taking a slot someone might want in advance and then finding out I wont be able to play, or feeling like I have said i would do something and then not being able to follow through, I do however agree that we need to be there as close to time as possible so as to not waste time waiting, I usualy go with if I cant get on within a few minutes of 2000hrs then I will wait until later.
(12-08-2009, 02:52 AM)Viking link Wrote: [ -> ]I will admit that sundays can be difficult for me (the wife often has other plans for my time then letting me spend 3 hours playing a computer game, the problem is she doesnt always tell me about them until that morning) I hate taking a slot someone might want in advance and then finding out I wont be able to play, or feeling like I have said i would do something and then not being able to follow through, I do however agree that we need to be there as close to time as possible so as to not waste time waiting, I usualy go with if I cant get on within a few minutes of 2000hrs then I will wait until later.

The above could have been written by me. I'll just add that those three hours come at roughly midday for the Americans - it can be tough to join in and focus (at least, for this father of four small ones). Any weekday would be easier. Given that, however, I'm inclined to keep it on Sundays. These games have the character of being a perfection of the style we've been playing all along and seem most appropriate for a Co-op Night. Sunday feels right.
Maybe we could add another official COOP night. Something like SimHQ has Tactical Thursdays. I guess someone should run a poll and get a feeling of who would turn up.
(12-08-2009, 02:52 AM)Viking link Wrote: [ -> ]BTW Marto I did use the RPO and it was devastatingly effective at 200m ( i had 9 kills and probably 7-8 were from this one shot). Watching Martos arty pound those poor devils on the ridge line  was a real thrill, however when that same firepower destroyed a hill we had just moved from it got the adrenalin pumping.

Good to hear the RPO's were effective... that thermobaric round is awesome - so I guess it was worth lugging it around... Smile

(12-08-2009, 02:52 AM)Viking link Wrote: [ -> ]Watching Martos arty pound those poor devils on the ridge line  was a real thrill, however when that same firepower destroyed a hill we had just moved from it got the adrenalin pumping.

Yeah that was Final protective fire for your squad... hope you and the rest in Gum's squad cleaned the brown stains off your jocks afterwards... ;D

In seriousness though, I think the artillery adds to the atmosphere and realism of the battle. I don't know if you guys could hear, but from PHQ's position you could hear the guns firing in the distance, the shells flying overhead, and the crumps of the impacts. I also like in that Sandworms mission how the enemy calls in artillery if you're observed....
So which squad cleared Yvetot? Or was it both?
Alpha Yellow cleared the east side, moved in, and cleared soldiers in the buildings. I can't speak for the west side, but fire coming from there damaged the BMP.
(12-08-2009, 05:50 AM)Marto link Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know if you guys could hear, but from PHQ's position you could hear the guns firing in the distance, the shells flying overhead, and the crumps of the impacts.

Yup, hearing those guns go off was incredible. Awesome.
(12-08-2009, 12:59 AM)RKDmitriyev link Wrote: [ -> ]BTW, were you suggesting Tuesdays or Thursdays?  Big Grin
Quote:[quote author=Overlord link=topic=1994.msg10725#msg10725 date=1260224765]
E.g. Thuesdays (or whatever suits best).
[/quote]

Big Grin Big Grin Your choice  Big Grin Big Grin

(12-08-2009, 01:20 AM)Marto link Wrote: [ -> ]I would vote to keep it on a Sunday.

Most people only attend on a Sunday and it is an established coop time.

Exactly, that's my point
(12-08-2009, 06:23 AM)Anguis Viridis link Wrote: [ -> ]Alpha Yellow cleared the east side, moved in, and cleared soldiers in the buildings. I can't speak for the west side, but fire coming from there damaged the BMP.

Rgr, might have been RPG fire or maybe that BTR heavy 30mm...?

Building clearances must have gone well, because when I ran around the town and checked all the civillians were alive... that is until Hawke made road pizza out of the preschool teacher.... Big Grin Big Grin ;D
Hi!

Heh gum, anyone could have done the same with Marto's WGL antitank guide that can be found on the forum and with your exact confirmation about the distance estimation, no mission editor needed.

I think that it's good that PltCo gives his orders on separate TS channel. For missions where we have separate radio man, maybe then radist could hear them also, so basically lets try to keep it realistic.. but i dont know how things work in modern warfare where everyone has maybe his own little radio..  In my opinion not every soldier need to hear the big picture but to concentrate on his own special duty rather. Atleast i found that hierarchy  in communication is good and adds immersivity. For example on sunday when we had observed enemies, it was exciting when gum asked us to wait and be ready after he had received orders from higher level via radio.  Use of artillery was also excellent add on, although it's impact sound could be much louder.

And finally (but not the least) special thanks to Marto and Zwobot for your effort for organizing these pre-planned coop nights and also for volunteers like gum and Anguis for leading us grunts.

BR.
slash (the lazy and tired member...)
Thanks slash, but don't forget it was Grip who brought up pre-planned missions after all.

An opinion on artillery: I think any kind of artillery in Ofp/Arma/Arma2 is too devestating. I believe the "splash" damage radius of the Unified Artillery is realistic but it is too powerful from the gameplay balance perspective because of abstracted terrain (virtually no low level cover like small ditches in the terrain let alone foxholes and trenches) and relatively small formation spacings for AI groups

Regarding the suggestion to play pre-planned missions exclusively on another day than Sunday:
those don't need to take place on one particular fixed weekday. I don't think we will have suitable missions available each week anyway (although Marto is pounding out new missions like a robot these days  Wink).
The workflow could be like this:

1.  Forum announcement with briefing and roster
2.1 Players choose slots in the forum
2.2 Players choose a date the mission should be played on via a doodle event created by the initiator of the mission
3.  doodle-voting time runs out (maybe a week from forum announcement) and mission will be played on the date with the most players available

Whereas steps 2.1 and 2.2 happen parallel.

If however the sign up ratio remains the same as it is right now, I'm afraid pre-planned missions on non-coop night days might see far less players because of all the "random" players who did not sign up won't be available. (Under the assumption that the "random" players who show up for the pre-planned missions without having signed up in the forum don't check the forum for those events at all and really only join in for the normal coop night and then find themselves confronted with a pre-planned mission).

I suggest we simply give it a try to use doodle to find the date for the next pre-planned mission (any day of the week should be a valid option except wednesdays because of the FDF coop night).
(12-08-2009, 08:23 AM)Marto link Wrote: [ -> ][quote author=Anguis Viridis link=topic=1994.msg10738#msg10738 date=1260246206]
Alpha Yellow cleared the east side, moved in, and cleared soldiers in the buildings. I can't speak for the west side, but fire coming from there damaged the BMP.

Rgr, might have been RPG fire or maybe that BTR heavy 30mm...?

Building clearances must have gone well, because when I ran around the town and checked all the civillians were alive... that is until Hawke made road pizza out of the preschool teacher.... Big Grin Big Grin ;D
[/quote]

You keep ignoring that it wasn't me driving at that time. Looks like i've already made myself a reputation Wink.

For the radio thing: I too think it would be unrealisitc and unnecessary if everyone heard the squad leader talk. Would be hard to concencentrate on listening to your squad leader giving you orders while in the background the PlC is talking to the other squad leader(s). I think would be a good idea to allow the squad leaders to appoint 1 assistant squad leader (who is channel commander too) that could help him, like talking to the PlC while the leader is checking the map. He could also have limited authority, like when the squad is suddenly attacked from close range while the squad leader is talking to his CO. That would of course only make sense with larger groups.
Pages: 1 2 3