Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Advanced Combat Radio Environment - ACRE
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
But there are also missions that have ACRE enabled by default, I guess?
Even if there are, they are just a handful out of the hundreds of missions we have on the server.
(05-16-2012, 04:23 PM)Variable link Wrote: [ -> ]But none of the missions we have on the server have been ACRE-prepped like that...

Yes, i guess thats the one downside, and i admit that most missions premade with ACRE that are available for download are either not so good or require a whole bunch of other addons... Maybe when i get some time ill make a vanilla mission with ACRE so we can have a test and not stray too far from the norm.
I have used ACRE, with mostly a degree of success on other servers, whilst playing coop missions. It add that extra bit of immersion in my opinion. Would be nice to see this used here on the CWR2 and Arma 2:CO missions.
A.C.R.E (Annoying Co-op Ruining Experience). We used it on Zeus for months last year and it was the most terrible thing ever to plague our gaming nights. Every week usually new updates for it or TS. Sometimes when you did update it, it didn't work with the TS version that you had. Or if you did update your TS it broke ACRE. At some point the regulars somewhat grasped the whole ACRE installation and updating thing, but usually there was one or two new guys playing too. So on most gaming nights one or two of our regulars spent good amount of gaming night to get ACRE working for the new guy.

The directional voice was great. The radios on the other hand were either the worst radios ever or they are simulated by someone who doesn't know a thing about them. My 5€ PMR walkie talkie works better than those things. So usually on missions the main focus was to get someone on the HQ or other fire team to hear you. At some point you just gave up and used the text chat instead.

Disclaimer: This rant of mine is based on ACRE as it was about six months ago and also should not be taken too seriously.
(05-17-2012, 04:39 PM)Legolasse link Wrote: [ -> ]So on most gaming nights one or two of our regulars spent good amount of gaming night to get ACRE working for the new guy
hehe Hund was tutoring me one time. It sure seem like it wasn't the first time he's doing it. Smile
You can now disable radio channels in the missions description.ext file, so that you can kind of have a cheap, more realistic radio system for the game, where for example, only direct chat (for main means of communication), group chat (for talking to members of your group that are out of your audible range) and command chat (for communicating with other team leaders) would be allowed.  Problem with this is mainly the fact that the command doesn't always transfer so fluidly when your leader dies and sometimes your dead leader remains the leader and you can't access the command chat. Other thing would be that everyone would probably still use TS anyway.

The main reason I like ACRE so much is the fact that it brings the communication inside the game, instead of some outside program, like TS.
In TS it's always like you're in the same room with everyone, even if you are 10km apart from each other in the game. It's strictly an immersion issue for me.
The game's own VOIP would be pretty perfect but it doesn't work perfectly so it becomes very problematic to use in situations where your leader dies for example, as I stated above.
Pages: 1 2 3