Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Twisted Metal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I had a great time last night playing this mission even though we got a bit mixed up.  I'm looking forward to hopefully playing more missions with CAS/laser designation.  I think its a great way to have some interesting co-op and enable a small player count to handle much larger enemy forces.
Laser designating is the ultimate cooperation. Guide your friends weapons to your target. Can't be done without good communication and skill.
I wish there were more missions like that. But I guess there are more on the server than we are currently aware of. I still intend to test all the missions highlighted in grey in the list. I'll add comments about those that include laser designating.
Which weapons are laser guidance capable? Is it only the LGBs of the A-10 or also the Hellfires of the US attack helicopters?

What about Opfor weapons?
All the lgb's, and all the ATG missiles on helicopters and the A-10 should be useable with designators.
(10-12-2011, 04:11 PM)Stoops417 link Wrote:All the lgb's, and all the ATG missiles on helicopters and the A-10 should be useable with designators.

Hellfires laser guidable from ground in Arma2 ?? hmm, they are in real life.. but long time ago people on BI-forums were complaining why it's not possible to do in the game - are you sure BIS has fixed this? Would be awesome if that's true.
Osku, Wasn't that about self-designating? 

Never tested tho, I only know the LGB/GBU method
Ain't there also a LD US chopper? Was in OFP (might be WGL) anyway.

Back to the mission, was cool, seems the ground force had a way more important role then at least I first thought. Too bad we lost our choppers even before we was near the base Smile
(10-12-2011, 07:51 PM)Overlord link Wrote:Ain't there also a LD US chopper? Was in OFP (might be WGL) anyway.
Yeah, the Kiowa warrior. If memory serves, it was introduced in Resistance.
(10-12-2011, 08:22 PM)Variable link Wrote:[quote author=Overlord link=topic=2559.msg15557#msg15557 date=1318441884]
[/quote]

In Arma2, I believe UH-1Y Venom is the equivalent. You should be able to designate laser target from the observer's seat. Would be fun to try it out.

And rund, yeah that's possible.
(10-12-2011, 04:26 PM)Osku link Wrote:[quote author=Stoops417 link=topic=2559.msg15541#msg15541 date=1318428718]
All the lgb's, and all the ATG missiles on helicopters and the A-10 should be useable with designators.

Hellfires laser guidable from ground in Arma2 ?? hmm, they are in real life.. but long time ago people on BI-forums were complaining why it's not possible to do in the game - are you sure BIS has fixed this? Would be awesome if that's true.
[/quote]

Yes the Hellfires are laser guided in the game.  In some missions the ATG's and LGB's are able to be "locked on" target by the pilot.  I'm not sure when they are and when they aren't.  Also I'm not certian about GBU bombs.  I *think* they are guided but I'm not positive.

I'm working on a simple training mission right now where there will be one of each attack aircraft and many towns (on the Takistan map) full of targets.  I've placed quite a few transport vehicles as well so we can simulate a ground force going in and designating for CAS.  Since its just a training mission I think it would make sense to have respawns for players and vehicles, I'm just working on figuring out how to do that... 8)
(10-13-2011, 09:55 AM)Osku link Wrote:[quote author=Variable link=topic=2559.msg15560#msg15560 date=1318443740]
[quote author=Overlord link=topic=2559.msg15557#msg15557 date=1318441884]
[/quote]

In Arma2, I believe UH-1Y Venom is the equivalent. You should be able to designate laser target from the observer's seat. Would be fun to try it out.

And rund, yeah that's possible.
[/quote]

For reference, the UH-1 Y is not armed with any ATG's, just FFAR's and forward facing door guns.  It has a sensor pod on the nose though so that would be cool if you can use it to designate.  The BAF Wildcat has both ATG's and a nose sensor that the co-pilot can use to designate targets with (complete with FLIR!).
(10-14-2011, 06:57 PM)Stoops417 link Wrote:For reference, the UH-1 Y is not armed with any ATG's, just FFAR's and forward facing door guns.  It has a sensor pod on the nose though so that would be cool if you can use it to designate.  The BAF Wildcat has both ATG's and a nose sensor that the co-pilot can use to designate targets with (complete with FLIR!).
Great! I like the Wildcat.

Conversation Osku and I had after Tony, Overlord and myself tried the laser designating for the Apache in "Twisted Metal":

Quote:18:04:56 Osku did you find out anything on LDs that one night?
18:05:15 me Yeah.
18:05:58 me Hellfire can lock on ground laser designators
18:06:38 me You must have a gunner to be able to lock on any targets
18:07:15 Osku yeah I know that feature, AI gunner is enough
18:07:50 Osku nice if hellfires lock on LD. but how you tell the difference between normal (red) target of laser target?
18:08:25 Osku between normal (red) target AND laser target?
18:10:45 me You must be in identification range. You know, the range in which a target gets classified. So instead on "t90" you will see "laser target"
18:11:46 Osku I see
18:14:04 me To be honest in "twisted metal" scenario, it's not really helpful for the apaches, since they detect their own targets anyways. It's good in scenarios where you want missiles to hit stuff that don't get detected, like parked planes (here goes another mission idea...)
18:15:19 Osku yeah, much more useful with A10/LGB - without laser they can't lock at all
18:15:53 Osku did you try any else weapons that can lock on laser target? e.g. the Av-8's bombs
18:16:18 me The Harrier's lgb's won't hit independently as well?
18:17:00 me Yeah, they hit laser designated targets nicely. But I'm not sure whether they can hit independently
18:17:53 Osku okay
18:18:14 me I guess not
18:18:36 Osku I would suppose you can't lock the bombs without lasing.. you'll just drop them the old fashioned way as dumb bombs
18:19:45 me Yeah, the problem is Arma messed up the CCIP representation on all fighters. I think it can't be used at all
18:20:11 Osku what's CCIP?
18:20:59 me continuesly computerized impact point
18:21:26 me The point on ground where the bomb will hit
18:22:20 Osku I haven't noticed that in Arma2, I've just tried to estimate the drop point visually. It's extremely difficult to be accurate, but with practise it is plausible
18:22:23 me The programmer that made it did it all wrong
18:22:53 me Modern fighter pilots dint need to estimate
18:23:17 me It hits where it shows it's gonna hit. Pretty simple calculation
18:25:41 me In Arma they somehow combined the CCIP with the plane marker that suppose to represent the thrust and movement aspect. They programmer responsible needs to get fired Smile
Quote:They programmer responsible needs to get fired Smiley
LMAO!

In the jets that have it, you can just use the TVV (Total Velocity Vector) as an improvised bombsight.  Is not extremely precise and its only effective when dive bombing, which can prove problematic with high speeds and low draw distances...  But if I had an A-10 where I could properly use the CCIP and laze targets myself for the ATGM Mavericks.... What would I need a ground crew for? Tongue

And Osku, So far I have one of each armed aircraft (I think)  So I have a Cobra, Apache, Wildcat, Venom, AH6, Hind V, KA-52, KA-60, A-10, AV-8, AV-8 (LGB), F35b, SU-25, and an SU-34.   

My goal is to have a training mission for almost any air to ground scenario.  So since there are so many towns and areas in the Takistan map, I want to fill them up differently.  Have one town for attacking infantry, one for soft vehicles, one for light armor, heavy, ect.  Even some that shoot back!

Its my first time making a mission so even though its pretty simple it might take me some time to get it done.  Hopefully when it is, we can make use of it to get some practice in.  Who knows, our experiences there might inspire some new missions!
I really need to get a joystick! Tongue And I don't know about you but I'm always ready and willing to hop on to a plane or chopper.    And At the time I played the one side domination coops, I was always bombing the targets that other players lazed. Communication was bit hard though since it had to be done by the in-game chat! Tongue ("Mom look! I'm flying without hands!!")  And I must say that people gave thanks for my flying.  8)

And I've never used the auto landing. I always landed by hand and at one point I asked someone how it works! Tongue

I'm really looking forward to trying this, nice idea stoops!
(10-14-2011, 08:27 PM)Bubba link Wrote:And I don't know about you but I'm always ready and willing to hop on to a plane or chopper. 

That goes double for me!
Pages: 1 2