Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: FaceTrackNoIR
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.ph...ight=laggy
I have several questions:

1. Why are we not using it?
2. Why people spend hundreds of dollars when they can have that for free?
3. Why didn't I think of this idea myself?!??!
I tried it briefly long ago (even with IR), but I found that I needed a lamp in my face for this to work properly. However that was prolly due to the very crappy camera I used, that needs a lot of light for 30fps...

So basically it was working but response was too slow for me to use it, and I didnt want to invest in a new camera just for this.

Why dont you try it for yourself?
I will definitely try it. Just amazed that this topic is up for two years now and yet I missed that such a thing exists!
I got a Logitech camera (somewhere, I hope, damn it, where the hell is it) and I think it suppose to be a good one. Is it?
If that works I would spend much more time flying simulators online, but for Arma 2, I'm not sure. I have been thinking about free track, too.
Free track, that was the name, I even ordered this special reflective tape I was about to stick to a hat to reflect the IR light. But lacking a good enough camera I ditched the project... I'm going to retry it sometime for sure!
I also forgot my free track project after i found out that my web cam had a glued in IR lens. Didn't start buying a new one for the thing, especially at that time with no money. Tongue
I tried it once on my old computer. Ate up too much of my CPU so I had crazy lag. I download it again on my new PC but I forgot how I set it up last time. I'll try it again if someone can help me set it up Big Grin
I tried it today. Out of all games I tried Arma 2 looks most unpromising to work with it. Whenever I play my free look just automatically goes down. Basically just starring at my left foot and it's pretty hard to move it from there, unless I broke my neck. Gonna do more experiments tomorrow.

Misha, what kind of camera did you get? Are you happy with it? I want to get one too and would love to get a recommendation
(10-05-2012, 10:23 PM)???? link Wrote: [ -> ]I tried it today. Out of all games I tried Arma 2 looks most unpromising to work with it. Whenever I play my free look just automatically goes down. Basically just starring at my left foot and it's pretty hard to move it from there, unless I broke my neck. Gonna do more experiments tomorrow.

I had tried it as well, and found that the earlier version worked much better than the recent one, but in general, I don't think FaceTrackNoIR is worth it, it's too flakey, especially if you wear glasses.

I will try FreeTrack next.
(10-06-2012, 10:44 AM)Variable link Wrote: [ -> ]Misha, what kind of camera did you get? Are you happy with it? I want to get one too and would love to get a recommendation

I have a LogiTech C270. Was pretty cheap, but it does the job as far as I can tell. I tried FreeTrack with a single flashlight LED (basically just waving my car key around in front of the camera) and it seems to track it all right. For real headtracking, I need to build this three-LED headset clip.

I'll be getting an Occulus Rift developer kit somewhere in December. I hope that it can be made to work with ARMA, that would be effing AWESOME.
This was a crazy day so no testing occurred. But I can tell you this, during the daily hours and with natural light my camera gives many more fps than with my 60W light bulb during the night, which is the only light source in my room. I'm talking about 30 fps as opposed to 6 fps under artificial light.

My camera is 30 eur and something HP model, I must find the box to tell which model exactly it is but obviously it's not top of the line.

Yeah, I plan to get Track IR someday, a man can dream... 
I had the same problem when I tried it long ago with Freetrack.

The problem is, most cheap cameras do not allow FPS locking (or disabling auto exposure, doing the same)  Which is essential for stable tracking. So... I need a new one. Can you check if your camera drivers can disable the auto exposure?

I already bought some reflective tape from amazon. Need some IR leds on my screen, and make some taped spheres on my headset.
How about attaching the LEDs to where the reflective tapes are? Would be much more effective than just having the ir-light reflect from the tape. Downside is of course having an extra wire hanging from your head or you would need a battery pack for the LEDs.

Something like that. http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/02-p...p-PRO.html
I didn't want to hassle with the batteries or cables, so I thought this should work.  The Track Clip does the same http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/02-p...oRight.jpg

I was looking for an IR webcam that has built in IR lights. would me much more tidy than my own contraption...
Pages: 1 2