Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Let's try Task Force Arrowhead Radio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I understand the ACRE experiment didn't work out too well but this looks even better and is supposed to be easier to use and more stable than ACRE, so it would be cool to try it sometime with ArmA3 and see if it fits with the way we play.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=23615

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.ph...head-Radio
I'm up for trying it. Any reservations guys?
I meant to post about this, think you can use it as a module?
Looks a lot easier, I'm in Smile
All for trying!  Strange name though for an Arma 3 addon, though
I think the guys doing this thing call themselves Task Force Arrowhead.

I'm all for trying after the failed ACRE attempt.
(11-27-2013, 10:40 AM)Alwarren link Wrote:I think the guys doing this thing call themselves Task Force Arrowhead.

I'm all for trying after the failed ACRE attempt.

Yeah, he thanks them for testing in the credits!

Still a strange choice of name though I agree, I felt a bit silly typing it! As long as it works though, the name doesn't really matter (we can call it TFA Radio) Smile

As it explains here https://github.com/michail-nikolaev/task...ADME_EN.md it can run in lightweight or serious mode (toggled simply by creating a TeamSpeak channel called TaskForceRadio ) and lightweight will probably suit us better, at least whilst we're testing and getting used to it.

The keys are easily changed by editing the userconfig. Probably the only thing most people will want to change is the transmit radio key (default shortrange: Capslock, longrange: Ctrl+Capslock) and to do that, you just need to edit the first and third entries where it reads key = 58; to whatever you want (there's a list of keycodes at the end of the file. I use END so it's 207) and the second to last one likewise.

As far as I can tell, on the server side it just need installing the addon on the A3 server, nothing special on the TS3 server other than the recommendation "To be on the safe side, reduce the level of flood protection: Right-click on the server> Edit Virtual Server> More> Anti Flood, set 30, 300, 3000 values (top to bottom)."
I should mention that I probably won't be on this Thursday as it's my Mum's birthday and we're going out in the afternoon, so not sure what time I'll get back, or if I'll be sober enough to safely operate a mouse when I do!

You can obviously test without me but I thought I should let you know as it seemed a bit rude to suggest something and then just not show up Smile
hehe happy birthday to your mother doveman, have fun! I'll see if I can install the mod on the server tonight, no promises though. Still need to move Arma 3 to the SSD...
ok TSA radio is installed on the Arma 3 server. Please test.
(11-27-2013, 05:25 PM)Variable link Wrote:hehe happy birthday to your mother doveman, have fun! I'll see if I can install the mod on the server tonight, no promises though. Still need to move Arma 3 to the SSD...

Thanks mate, we will Smile

I heard you'd got an SSD, I got one on Monday too, the same one as you I think Samsung 840 Evo 256GB. Pretty cool I have to say and now I don't have to mess about with updating RAMdisks anymore.

Even though when benching the RAMdisk is about 6x faster, in reality if anything ArmA and DCS World load faster from the SSD. I imagine the bottleneck is the CPU processing stuff as it's loading, so the faster read speeds of the RAMdisk don't matter.
So, did anyone tried TFA Radio on the server yet?
I tried it and it seems to work but the radio is a very short range I don't know exactly how this is supposed to work. I guess more testing is in order, but other than that it seems to work better than Acre
(11-28-2013, 10:47 AM)Alwarren link Wrote:I tried it and it seems to work but the radio is a very short range I don't know exactly how this is supposed to work. I guess more testing is in order, but other than that it seems to work better than Acre

Thanks for testing Alwarren. It should work similarly to Acre, so there's the Direct Speech (normal TS3 PTT button) where people nearby should be able to hear, the Short Range (default Caps Lock) and the Long Range (default Ctrl+Caps Lock). You can open the radio interface to change channels and volume (Ctrl+P for SR and Alt+P for LR) but I guess the distance they transmit will be preset, although maybe there's some variation between the three SR radios, the PRC-152, the PRC-148 and the FADAK
(11-28-2013, 01:35 PM)doveman link Wrote:Thanks for testing Alwarren. It should work similarly to Acre, so there's the Direct Speech (normal TS3 PTT button) where people nearby should be able to hear, the Short Range (default Caps Lock) and the Long Range (default Ctrl+Caps Lock). You can open the radio interface to change channels and volume (Ctrl+P for SR and Alt+P for LR) but I guess the distance they transmit will be preset, although maybe there's some variation between the three SR radios, the PRC-152, the PRC-148 and the FADAK

I'll give it another go ASAP. The weird part is that the short range radio really only works for 20 meters or so, and gradually gets louder like it is a direct channel.
Ok, gave it another try, and after watching a short tutorial on YouTube, we know now how it works.

Installation is easy, just copy addon and plugin (and sound files), activate the plugin, activate the addon in Arma 3.

The key to getting it tow work is the radio setup: At the start of the mission, all radios have random frequencies. So, you press ctl+p to bring up the radio, and all agree on a frequency to be used for the channels. Once you're tuned to a frequency, it will work.

We can give a short introduction when we start speaking. Just install the addon/plugin
Pages: 1 2