Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: X-Wing & TIE Fighter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Thanks to Varanon (I love you) I got those on a sale from GOG (10$ each). I am having a blast now re-playing the X-Wing missions and I intend to move on to TIE Fighter (which I never played to the end) once I'm done. IF you are a fan, you must know how awesome these games are, and if you are not, I encourage you to give it a try.
In X-Wing you play a rebel starfighter pilot in the Rebel Alliance campaigns against the Galactic Empire. The simulation is meaningful, merciless and requires you to implement tactical thinking. The flow of events is true to the Star Wars world and it really makes you think you are flying heroic missions against he evil empire.

A pleasant surprise is that it is a renewed edition, it installs on modern OS with a click, the sounds are overhauled (I actually miss some of the old sounds, but overall, it's a good change), and the graphics were lifted to X-Wing Alliance standards! Who knows, maybe this change makes it more accessible despite all these years (20 years for fuck sake). It also comes with full PDF strategic guides which are fun to read. I wish I had printed copies of those... boy, they sure knew how to make games in the 90's... It includes a narrative story of the pilot you play; how and why he joined the rebellion, and his insights into flying the X-Wing and other starfighters.

I really recommend this game(s), it's exciting to master the the starfighters' energy distribution to the engines, laser cannons and shields and it is so much fun to blast through waves of Imperial TIE-Fighters!

I will update again once I start playing the TIE-Fighter game. Don't miss it!

[Image: 6bd64b3ad971a41927fd8ca3a0cfbd84d97378fd.jpg]
It has arrived!!!!  ;D

[Image: 8WN1jKn.jpg?1]
Big Grin Cool
TIE Fighter Strategy Guide is on the way, too Big Grin.
I'm very excited about TIE Fighter, I never completed it although I played X-Wing thoroughly several times. I'm on Tour of Duty 4 now in X-Wing, once I complete 5, I'm good to defect to the Empire!
I've seen those offers too. Incidentally they were added to gog just after I purchased second hand original versions.
Unfortunately I could not get TIE Fighter to install on my 64 bit machine despite the updated installers of Marcus Egger.

Are the gog versions really the collectors editions with the updated graphics of the X-wing vs Tie fighter standards or still the low detail texture ones of the original DOS versions?
If the latter then I would definitely buy the gog version again.

Is the above screenshot from your game or some other source?
(11-13-2014, 02:06 PM)Zwobot link Wrote: [ -> ]I've seen those offers too. Incidentally they were added to gog just after I purchased second hand original versions.
Unfortunately I could not get TIE Fighter to install on my 64 bit machine despite the updated installers of Marcus Egger.

Are the gog versions really the collectors editions with the updated graphics of the X-wing vs Tie fighter standards or still the low detail texture ones of the original DOS versions?
If the latter then I would definitely buy the gog version again.

Is the above screenshot from your game or some other source?
Hey Zwobot! Good to hear from you.
The X-Wing version I got from GOG is a renewed edition with updated graphics. It's never been that beautiful. Regarding TIE-Fighter - I don't know, I didn't install it yet.
The screenshot is from the GOG download page, and reflects the updated graphics of X-Wing.
Mh, I might check out the GOG version of Tie Fighter then. Initially some of the comments on gog made be back-away as they claimed the games were not the updated collector's editions.
I am currently playing through the first tour of duty in X-Wing and it handles quite differently compared to X-Wing vs Tie Fighter which I have been owning since it was first released. It feels slower and the lack of certain keyboard shortcuts slightly increases the difficulty.

By the way, if you are interested in a physically more realistic space combat game, there also is "Independence War" (I-War) on gog.com
Why do you prefer the old graphics?
I do not, that's the point  Smile

I was referring to comments like this on gog:
Quote:a quick word of warning: the unargubaly best and definite edition of "Tie Fighter" is the "Collector's CD-ROM Edition 1995". it is basically the old 1994 DOS version with the following enhancements:
- SVGA-resultion (640x480 - the double resulotion of 1994 DOS-version) - full voice-over (also used later in the 1998 Windows version) - includes the expansions "Defender of the Empire" as well as "Enemies of the Empire " - enhanced cinematic cutscenes
however, this version is NOT included in the GOG-release. the reason for this is beyond me.
I've checked the screenshots again and they look like updated graphics that I want to have. Consequently I am unsure whether the gog version is the one I want to have or what is the point of those comments...
I'll install TIE fighter and put on some screenshots for you to judge if this is the version you want.
What pictures should I take?
Zwobot, this guy got his TIE Fighter version from GOG just a couple of weeks ago:

And this guy got his X-Wing on GOG, too:
(11-13-2014, 05:40 PM)Variable link Wrote: [ -> ]I'll install TIE fighter and put on some screenshots for you to judge if this is the version you want.
What pictures should I take?
No worries. I've just bought it and it looks like the version I want to have. Still not sure what all the moaning in the comments is all about.

Do you also own X-Wing Alliance? It'll take some time until I start playing that one as I want to play through the games in the chronological order they were released in initially.
I never played X-Wing Alliance. Should I? Does it have an SP campaign?
Yes it does have an SP campaign but I have not played it yet, but from what I could read it is on par with Tie Fighter.
Oh man, now where did I left my DOS emulator?
Pages: 1 2