Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: GUIDE: How to set an alternate channel on your radio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

EDIT: THREAD OBSOLETE - On behalf of Alwarren we now have a server-side mod that does all that automatically. So all you need to do is rest back and enjoy the comms Smile

Why should I do that?

So you could hear the command channel even if you are not leading. That's the channel used by the leaders of the mission. It help all units to know of other friendly team's positions, the plan, and also make people aware that their leader is receiving a transmission so they won't speak to him at the same time.

What does it mean?
It means that you have your team's frequency on channel 1 as you start by default, but you can also hear the command frequency on channel 2. Yes, that means you can hear them both at the same time.

Do I have to do that?
You don't have to, but please do it.

How should I do that?
1. Hit CTRL+P to bring up your radio interface.
2. Switch to channel 2.
3. Enter the frequency of the command channel which will be given to us all in the text chat.
4. Click on the "Alternate" button (look for a tooltip if you don't remember where's the button).
5. Switch back to channel 1.

If you are having trouble remembering the instructions, please print them and have them handy. If you don't want to do that let us know and we'll print and mail them to you.
I think I've suggested it before but if we want people to do this, it would make it a lot easier if the leader of each mission (or someone else can assist if the leader's not sure how to, I don't want to put people off leading because they're not sure how to do this) would type the LR freq on the map (I guess next to our starting point or some other agreed place), so that people don't have to waste time asking him individually (or their squad leaders if we're separated) what freq they should set.

So if we could make that part of our SOP I think it would help.

Another useful tip is to set the alternate channel on one ear and the main SR channel on the other (or both), as it helps you to know which channel's being transmitted on. For the personal radio, the default keys for this are Ctrl+left arrow, up arrow, right arrow for left ear, both ears, right ear. For the LR radio it's Alt+arrows but only the leaders need to worry about that. I believe there's a button on the radios called Stereo which cycles through these settings when clicked as well.
It might be possible to make a serverside mod that displays it...
That'd be cool!

Another tip for anyone who finds it too confusing hearing both channels constantly is, after setting the LR/command frequency on CH.2 and setting it as the alternate channel and checking it works is to then set another unused channel, like CH.3, as the alternate channel. That way you won't hear the LR all the time but can quickly switch the alternate channel back to CH.2 if you need to listen in or if the leader gets killed and you have to take over but can't retrieve the LR.
I still get horribly confused by all the keys and commands, simply because I don't use them often enough.

I like the idea of printing a cheat-sheet. When I find some time I try making a nice PDF for that. I'm up for suggestions what should be in there.

At least it should contain:
(Side one of the sheet, normal operation, not leader: )
-basic keys: Transmit SR, open personal radio interface, direct speaking
- Setting a SR freq
- Adjusting your yelling volume
- Setting an alternate channel
- section on basic effective radio communication for subordinates
- Radio in vehicles
- Underwater instructions
- images of different personal radios and their most important buttons

(Backside of the sheet, leader LR instructions: )
- Basic keys: Transmit LR, open LR radio.
- Setting LR frequency.
- Setting up stereo split LR,SR
- effective radio communication for leaders
- images of the LR radios and their most important buttons
(03-31-2015, 10:20 AM)rundll.exe link Wrote: [ -> ]I like the idea of printing a cheat-sheet. When I find some time I try making a nice PDF for that. I'm up for suggestions what should be in there.
That's a great idea rund, I did some very basic Google search now and couldn't find anything like that. Your structure looks great, especially this will be VERY useful to EVERYONE:
(03-31-2015, 10:20 AM)rundll.exe link Wrote: [ -> ]- images of different personal radios and their most important buttons
I still struggle to find the right keys and without the tooltips I'd be lost...

(03-30-2015, 11:28 PM)doveman link Wrote: [ -> ]Another tip for anyone who finds it too confusing hearing both channels constantly is, after setting the LR/command frequency on CH.2 and setting it as the alternate channel and checking it works is to then set another unused channel, like CH.3, as the alternate channel.
Or just cancel alternate channel for CH.2, no need to set another channel as an alternate.

(03-30-2015, 10:24 PM)Varanon link Wrote: [ -> ]It might be possible to make a serverside mod that displays it...
Oh, that would be perfect. Maybe a briefing entry would be better. The map is rather large and we don't want to have to zoom it all out or pan it until the text is found.

(03-30-2015, 11:28 PM)doveman link Wrote: [ -> ]Another useful tip is to set the alternate channel on one ear and the main SR channel on the other (or both), as it helps you to know which channel's being transmitted on. For the personal radio, the default keys for this are Ctrl+left arrow, up arrow, right arrow for left ear, both ears, right ear. For the LR radio it's Alt+arrows but only the leaders need to worry about that. I believe there's a button on the radios called Stereo which cycles through these settings when clicked as well.
That's a good tip, I didn't know that's possible. Reminds me of the pre-TFAR days when we used Mike's TS radio pluginSmile  I wish it would do that by default...
I like your idea rund. For people who haven't had much experience using LR, or using the radios in vehicles, it can be very confusing when they find themselves in those positions and have to try and work it out under pressure. I haven't had a chance to use vehicle radios yet myself for example, so I don't really know how that works.

So if we had a cheat-sheet it would certainly help us to get to grips with everything.
(03-31-2015, 10:34 AM)Variable link Wrote: [ -> ]Or just cancel alternate channel for CH.2, no need to set another channel as an alternate.

Ah cool, I didn't realise we could just cancel the alternate.

Quote:Oh, that would be perfect. Maybe a briefing entry would be better. The map is rather large and we don't want to have to zoom it all out or pan it until the text is found.

Yeah, I see your point. Wouldn't be so bad if the text was next to our starting point but some missions we have multiple squads starting in different places, so somewhere in the briefing menus would be better.

Quote:That's a good tip, I didn't know that's possible. Reminds me of the pre-TFAR days when we used Mike's TS radio pluginSmile  I wish it would do that by default...

That would probably be more realistic, as IRL the personal radio would only be on a single ear-piece I think, soldiers don't walk round with stereo Dr Dre BEATS headphones on Smile That's a good suggestion to post in the TFAR thread for nkey to consider, whilst he's in a receptive mood after winning MANW Wink
(03-31-2015, 10:34 AM)Variable link Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, that would be perfect. Maybe a briefing entry would be better. The map is rather large and we don't want to have to zoom it all out or pan it until the text is found.

The problem with a briefing entry is that the LR channel is only created after the mission has started ("Waiting for unique ID" etc).

I'll take a look at what can be done
Could just agree on what the LR freq will be in briefing regardless of what the game assigns later on.

(03-31-2015, 01:55 PM)Outlawz7 link Wrote: [ -> ]Could just agree on what the LR freq will be in briefing regardless of what the game assigns later on.
Thinking about it, I guess we could just agree a fixed freq. that we use for LR on all missions as our SOP.
(03-31-2015, 01:55 PM)Outlawz7 link Wrote: [ -> ]Could just agree on what the LR freq will be in briefing regardless of what the game assigns later on.
(03-31-2015, 02:01 PM)doveman link Wrote: [ -> ]Thinking about it, I guess we could just agree a fixed freq. that we use for LR on all missions as our SOP.
Only for complex missions, I don't want everybody to start fiddle with their frequency at the beginning of each mission. The more players deal with the TFAR interface, the more players you have that don't hear anything afterwards.
So even after switching to channel 1, we can hear chatters of channel 2 !!!?
(03-31-2015, 09:16 PM)FlashPoint link Wrote: [ -> ]So even after switching to channel 1, we can hear chatters of channel 2 !!!?
If you set channel 2 as alternate - yes.
(03-31-2015, 10:34 AM)Variable link Wrote: [ -> ]I still struggle to find the right keys and without the tooltips I'd be lost...

I greatly dislike the fact that the buttons don't do what they have written on it. Realism is great, but usability suffers from the fact that the button labels are nonsensical.
Pages: 1 2