Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: ACE3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
As long it's not a Super Mario jump I'm ok with it. It's true that you shouldn't be able to jump with extra heavy load out but soldiers should be able to perform low jumps and climb with normal load (let's say helmet, vest, rifle, 6 magazines and a couple of grenades). As evidence, all the obstacle courses are full with walls to climb over and gaps to jump over.
(04-11-2015, 09:17 AM)Variable link Wrote: [ -> ]As evidence, all the obstacle courses are full with walls to climb over and gaps to jump over.

Good point. And yeah no Mario. Hopefully ACE will make it reasonable
Start learning fellas!

Geez, that advanced medical system is just too fucking much
and for the record, I know I'm probably the only one, but I still don't like the interaction menu

And of course ACE can't go without some bullshit. Like for example, adding useless functionality like a hotkey to open doors, climbing and fucking jumping... sigh...

I'm beginning to have doubts about ACE already
I'm not 100% sure on the interaction menu either. I hope they improve on it and make it easier to read. But in my opinion a simple interaction key is what the series needs the most. The stupid awkward and clunky action menu needs to go. Also I don't understand what you have against climbing over low walls and jumping small gaps? I mean as long as it's not over done and cartoony. I have yet to see real combat footage where every soldier is glued to the ground
Well, here are my comments.

The interaction system sucks dead hamsters through a garden hose. If you have a circle/pie type menu, it MUST be shallow. This one isn't. You need to go through, what, five or six levels of circles to get to your detonator? What the hell, imagine you need to do this when things need to go fast. That is not going to work.

Medical system: The simple one is okay, although I think that a single bandage would be enough, I don't see the need to bandage each and every limb. But I am fine with it. The complex one, argh. Forget it, if I am going to play doctor, there'd better be a female involved and behind a closed door.

Explosives system is very nice, but bogged down by the horrible interaction menus.

Climbing is something I hope can be disabled. It's so easy to exploit. Climbing through a tight window with a carryall and launcher on your back? I don't believe so. The speed at which this works lets you completely suprirse someone inside. That is not how windows work.

Overall, I guess it depends on how much this can be tweaked and how many features can be disabled. So far, I am not particularly excited about it.
I was hoping for something resembling the interaction menu for PR in Arma 2. That was fairly easy to read and not too deep.

The medical system, well the simple one is OK I guess with bandages, morphine and ephedrine. No need to play surgeon simulator, the advanced one is a tad too much. I do like the feature of someone being able to pass out and not be able to communicate until brought back.

I agree that climbing trough a window with full gear and a launcher is some what ridiculous. I hope that's a bug and that they make it weight dependent. A soldier carrying just rifle should be able to climb over a concrete wall realistically. And like Variable said, the obstacle course
A commo rose would be an improvement for some things I think but I'm not sure you can cram everything on there without it becoming ridiculously nested. So it may be that some things (e.g. detonating) are better on a simple list that can be quickly scrolled through, as we have now.

A commo rose needs to be clear as well, so give it a solid black background and make each segment large with clear text, like the one in Dragon Rising. I also think navigating a fixed commo rose by moving the mouse Up/Down/Left/Right (or even using W/S/A/D but that only works if it's limited to 4 segments) is much easier and quicker as well, rather than having to point your cursor at the option you want. It somewhat feels like they've ignored the tried and tested commo rose to try and be innovative, regardless of whether it hinders or helps the player. Maybe something like they've got at the moment works OK when looking at vehicles and you need to look at specific places, so perhaps they could make a commo rose appear except for when looking at vehicles.

The medical system sucks big hairy balls IMO! IRL you don't have to look at each body part to get a popup telling you if it's injured or not, it's fairly obvious where the blood is coming from and the patient might be able to tell you where he's hit as well, so you can start bandaging quite quickly. I enjoyed the bandage, morphine, epi system in ACE 2 and don't see a need for anything more complex, or any benefit from having to select a specific part of the body to bandage. Maybe show a list of which parts are bleeding when selecting "Diagnose" from a commo rose and then force the player to bandage x number of times until all the parts are bandaged before being allowed to proceed to the next step.

As I say in any thread where revamping the UI/Action menu comes up, leave the current action menus alone, otherwise we won't be able to use voice control software anymore and that's one of the best ways to interact with ArmA IMO. So ACE3 had better make the weapons switching with number keys optional or else! Whilst it would be possible to have a UDP interface using datarefs, like X-Plane, to send actions instead of pressing keys, not only would BIS have to implement it but we'd need new voice control software to use it, as currently they just send the keys.
Obviously, there's an option in ACE3 that lets you stay fixed with the view and always pop up a mouse pointer when the interaction menu opens
(04-27-2015, 12:21 AM)Varanon link Wrote: [ -> ]Obviously, there's an option in ACE3 that lets you stay fixed with the view and always pop up a mouse pointer when the interaction menu open
That's great, didn't see any video of it.
ACE 3 is now publicly released.
CiA ACE 3 coop server is up. Members, you have Firedaemon control over it. All, continue general ACE 3 discussion here, and post CiA ACE 3 server related discussions on the CiA Dedicated Servers board topic.
They try to make/wants to be new ECS but... :-X
From Arma 2 I remember ACE as bloated, performance decreasing mod with bunch of features some of which were useless or required time to learn/adopt. But maybe this time ACE will fix and add something which Arma 3 lacks.
(05-13-2015, 06:16 PM)Misha link Wrote: [ -> ]From Arma 2 I remember ACE as bloated, performance decreasing mod with bunch of features some of which were useless or required time to learn/adopt. But maybe this time ACE will fix and add something which Arma 3 lacks.

Among other things, a working First Aid system.

The thing I like about the ACE 3 mod is that it is modular - you can chose what features to enable and which to leave out.

The explosives system is very nice, gives individual control over each detonator, and you can attach stuff to vehicles.

So far, it looks alright. There are only two things I dislike about it: Climbing/Jumping, and the "Realistic names" that turn the Slammer into a Merkava.
Pages: 1 2 3