Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Hello TANOA PART 3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This is part 3

You need to bring the repairing truck ASAP to the plane which has a damaged engine.
Charlie team has hard times defending it.

Type of mission: Convoy defend, fire from vehicles, defend position
Terrain: Bystrica

Download link:
>>> PART 3

>>> PART 3 without the SFX
I didn't get to play the first part (that was later split in to two?) but It will be interesting to see what you have cooked up for us  Smile
Uploaded!

Mission update.I did a test on CiA server and some scripts don't run as they did on my dedicated.
I replaced them and did some changes.

Same DL as in OP.
Thanks!
Uploaded.
We tried playing this on Sunday and it caused server to crash soon after starting it. Happened both times we tried it.
Thank you Den!
I'll see what could be the problem and release another version in before thursday.
(02-02-2016, 11:31 AM)alias link Wrote:Thank you Den!
I'll see what could be the problem and release another version in before thursday.

Take your time, Alias, I'd rather have the mission working. Thursday will be Throwback Thursday anyway Smile

Mission updated.

Same DL as in OP. Thanks!

I did my best to find what could cause server crash. Removed few non-essential triggers, simplified few scripts, removed and edited few others. It works on dedicated from start to finish, i think now should work in MP without problems.

(02-03-2016, 03:17 PM)alias link Wrote:I did my best to find what could cause server crash. Removed few non-essential triggers, simplified few scripts, removed and edited few others. It works on dedicated from start to finish, i think now should work in MP without problems.

It might be related to some script getting spawned very often and amplified by player numbers.

I had one mission, "Stop that Train", that at one point got worse and worse performance-wise. It didn't crash the server, but the framerates dropped tremendously over the course of the mission, making it essentially unplayable. Until today I have not found out what the problem is, also because things like that are effing hard to reproduce and debug.
Alias, don't take this the wrong way, but the game time during coop nights is precious. I understand that you want to keep your missions special, but we can't have too much time spent on exotic scripts that fail and crash the mission, or even worse, the server. The use of said complexities require a certain level of knowledge in scripting, without it the chances of failure and crashes is too high. If you want your missions to be played on coop nights you'll have to remove such stuff from your missions. I'm sorry, but you must understand that we can't allow for so much time wasted on server restarts, and that is even without counting the time required from CiA members to support the making of such missions.

In any case, missions can be awesome without fancy scripts, the best missions I played were rather simple scripting wise.
I agree with Variable, you should really tone down script usage. While it all looks nice and fancy, it rarely is required.

Looking back at your previous missions, most of the stuff that caused issue was purely cosmetic.For example, the meteors looked nice but became a nuisance once they hit you. Just leave out this stuff, you know how to make interesting missions, don't overload them with gadgets that, in the end, don't add much. Keep the scripting simple, especially missions with a lot of players are very prone to effects that multiply with the player count if you are not careful and know exactly what you do.

I always enjoyed your missions, but having to repeat them over and over because something was broken gets really annoying, and even worse, it distracts from the mission because I start to specifically look for signs that something isn't working. Yeah I am that kind of guy.

Sorry guys for the trouble, unfortunately there are some bugs hard to catch unless tested in MP and there are things overlooked by mistake. I wish was a simple way to simulate MP-dedicated for test purposes.

I can make a version for this mission without eye candy stuff, also it can be disabled via a public variable if i remember correctly.

Part 4 from this campaign has no special effects, is plain and simple. Will be released next week i think, after CUP update.

For me custom sounds and atmosphere is important, i usually look forward to experience things which i don't usually saw or experimented, is what keeps me motivated in mission making.
In my next campaign there are missions which do not depend on special effects, but there are some which have the story built around special effects. I'll let you know about the ones which don't have SFXs involved or required.

You could test using this to setup a local dedicated server for testing... looks like a lot to setup... I opted for paying out for a gameserver... which comes in handy anyway when playing with friends

http://ciahome.net/forum/mission-making/.../#msg30353

I must say... custom sounds and atmosphere although not essential, I feel add to a mission, even on a subconscious level and I am a fan of these extra details (if they are done well)

Also, just posted this.... this helps me test my missions extensively... could be handy (unless you already have a way to do this)

http://ciahome.net/forum/mission-making/...-files/15/

Thanks treendy.

I already test all my missions on dedicated before release, the problem is testing with real players, there are bugs or problems which, due their nature, can be detected only in MP.
Pages: 1 2