Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
co11_oa_NuratNight.Takistan - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Mission Releases (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: co11_oa_NuratNight.Takistan (/showthread.php?tid=2349)

Pages: 1 2 3

co11_oa_NuratNight.Takistan - Anthropoid - 04-21-2013

ADDIT:
4-27-2013

Most recent version of the mission attached to this post.

Changes
Lets just say that: even though I made it, I find it fairly challenging to finish it SP. I think it might be a pretty fun COOP mission.

Still seem to have a slight problem with the way I have the trigger for finishing Extraction done: my whole group died at the extraction site and it still listed the Extraction task as green light at the end (though it did not list Mission Succeeded).

If one of you mission makers feel like de-pboing it, I appreciate any advice on redoing that.

I'm going to see about updating the mission to this most recent version on Armaholic now too.

Based on What Varanon and Alwarren said on TS tonight, the problem might be that I renamed the mission when I exported it and the name did not match the name in the supporting files. Will try to get those to match up and see if it fixes it.

-=-=-=-=

My first mission is in final stages. I've played it several times in SP mode and used some fake radio triggers to make sure the Tasks and End Mission stuff works. Couple questions:

1. I exported it to MP but I don't find it in the directory where all the MP missions that I've received from our coop sessions live

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\ArmA 2 OA\MPMissionsCache

Could anyone suggest where else that MP version might have gone to?

2. I also exported it to SP but can't find it that way either. Search on Windows seems to be nearly useless.

3. I also sent it by email to myself and Variable and a functioning .pbo was received that way. It loaded fine in SP, however:

(a) I get an error that "HousePatrol.sqf" not found. I guess for some reason that file did not get packaged?

In the editor the HousePatrol.sqf is like this:

C:\Users\Owner\Documents\ArmA 2 Other Profiles\Anthropoid\missions\Nur%20at%20Night.Takistan\HousePatrol.sqf

(b) The custom ammo crate .sqf that I wanted to load at the players' starting location also seems to have not compiled into the .pbo

In the editor the ammo script is like this:
C:\Users\Owner\Documents\ArmA 2 Other Profiles\Anthropoid\missions\Nur%20at%20Night.Takistan\scripts\ammo.sqf

I'm not seeing anywhere on Phantom's site that talks about this. Appreciate any help with getting this sorted out and look forward to you guys playing this and helping me to learn more

4. One last question. In my overreaching ambitions, I dream of including some music clips in the mission when tasks get accomplished. Is this possible?

Re: co11_oa_NuratNight.Takistan - Outlawz7 - 04-21-2013

Missions get exported to 'Missions' (sp) or 'MPMissions' (mp) folders in your main game directory, not your mission cache.

Re: co11_oa_NuratNight.Takistan - Anthropoid - 04-21-2013

I'm not seeing it in either of those locations either.

Re: co11_oa_NuratNight.Takistan - Phantom - 04-22-2013

Have you installed cpbo? Try right clicking the mission folder and select create Pbo, its below open.

Re: co11_oa_NuratNight.Takistan - Anthropoid - 04-22-2013

Thanks Phantom that worked  Smile

I don't know if this is gonna work in MP mode or not. I wrote it in the editor accessed through Singleplayer window. Hope it is possible to switch it over to MP mode so it can be playtested coop.

Anyway, I learned a lot and I'll write the next one in editor accessed through the MP window; I see it is a bit different (although the Preview sequence is more annoying too so contininuing to edit through SP window is preferable if that is possible).

Appreciate any feedback or comments!

And if any of you mission makers want to dpbo and give feedback on my design I appreciate that too.

Everyone feel free to play it SP if you want, but hopefully there will be at least a couple guys who won't play it sp and that way we can have them lead when/if we play test it coop.

This was a lot of work and of course frustrating at times. However, I want to learn more and more coding and making Arma Coop missions is a good way to ease my brain into a coding mode (got an online web-design class sitting on the back burner right now too). So I'm looking forward to making more missions, and happy to follow your suggestions/requests and directions on making additional coop missions for CiA and the Arma community in general. I'm up to make just about any type mission you guys might want.

Re: co11_oa_NuratNight.Takistan - GG-Viktor Reznov - 04-22-2013

15 minutes before class... I will see what I can do.

Quick questions so I can test/ play properly later.

Ai mod friendly? - ASR/TPW/Zeus?

No respawn. Right? riigghhhttt?  Big Grin
_Currently running with @cba @cba_a2 @cba_oa @jsrs

Oddities

Unrestrained Lethal Force? Wording seems strange

There is no actual approach on foot. You start at the checkpoint.

Squad leader is using a DMR? There are 2 other soldiers with a dmr. Would probably be better to start with m16a4 203 that is in the crate and allow the option to switch to the DRM.

The 3 sabotuers are gimped op. This is a loud mission. No if, and, or buts. Loud 100%. I dont think there is anyway to drop a single person without alerting atleast a whole squad then town.  (It doesn't matter. they are blind.  Too blind perhaps. Ive been shot at once.)  That being said the enemy placements are very good. They have very good covered sectors of fire, intersecting patrols, patrols covered by  sniper(albiet sniper without nvg) etc. I dont know if I would expect this from an untrained group of insurgents.

This is all irrelevant. They are simply too blind. It causes this-- http://s18.postimg.org/xkx683o1z/arma2oa_2013_04_22_10_23_41_87.jpg
http://s18.postimg.org/r5y5bfhc7/arma2oa_2013_04_22_10_23_29_88.jpg

Perhaps
1. Change their stance. Most of them are prepared for battle. Which is in contrast with briefing.
2. Change briefing.
3. Humint was extremely wrong on number of enemies. (planned?)
4. Since they are being given Russian weaponry perhaps give 1 per squad NVG's? or a nvg capable weapon?
5. Remove silenced weapons from start. Thus giving a chance for massive screw up. Leave the cobra's so the capability for silenced stays.
6. The evac-chopper came in with every light possible on. Did not return fire to hostiles at Bravo. Though the pilot did manage to land before he was killed. 
http://s9.postimg.org/phs750l3j/arma2oa_2013_04_22_10_22_41_85.jpg
I hopped in and flew myself  home. xD

7. Because of said night blindness, you may want to change squad composition a bit. ( That being said 11 is an odd number)

Current
SL-DMR (Switch to m16/203)
Sabotuer-m4sd
Sabotuer-m4sd
Grenadier-m4+203 ( M16/203? Problem - Grenadiers have max 203rds + pistol)
Grenadier-m4+203 (M16/203? switch to assistant mg?)
HMG- Mk48 + 400rds (No assistant mg?)
HMG- MK48 + 400rds
Corpsman- m4 (marines? shouldnt it be m16?)
Corpsman- m4
Marksman- dm (assistant mg?)
Marksman-dmr

7.2 perhaps also break squad up a bit? on this screen? http://s9.postimg.org/5btajvetr/arma2oa_2013_04_22_11_02_12_29.jpg

Squad Leader
Fireteam lead- Grenadier
Sabotuer
HMG
Asst HMG
Corpsman
Marksman

Team 2
Fireteam Lead - Grenadier
Sabotuer
HMG
Corpsman
Marksman

With all the dmr's I think it should be no problem to also go loud and they destroy everything from 600+ metres.

8. No flares?

I love the cache placement. It was very unexpected.

Also I think I may have to play again with an AI mod.  http://postimg.org/gallery/abb8fd4/

I would love to try this coop to test my theories as I have only played solo thus far. Unfortunately my connection is absolute shite.

(04-22-2013, 02:47 PM)GG-Viktor Reznov link Wrote: 15 minutes before class... I will see what I can do.

Quick questions so I can test/ play properly later.

Ai mod friendly? - ASR/TPW/Zeus?

No respawn. Right? riigghhhttt?  Big Grin
_Currently running with @cba @cba_a2 @cba_oa @jsrs

Oddities

Unrestrained Lethal Force? Wording seems strange

There is no actual approach on foot. You start at the checkpoint.

Squad leader is using a DMR? There are 2 other soldiers with a dmr. Would probably be better to start with m16a4 203 that is in the crate and allow the option to switch to the DRM.

The 3 sabotuers are gimped op. This is a loud mission. No if, and, or buts. Loud 100%. I dont think there is anyway to drop a single person without alerting atleast a whole squad then town.  (It doesn't matter. they are blind.  Too blind perhaps. Ive been shot at once.)  That being said the enemy placements are very good. They have very good covered sectors of fire, intersecting patrols, patrols covered by  sniper(albiet sniper without nvg) etc. I dont know if I would expect this from an untrained group of insurgents.

Perhaps
1. Change their stance. Most of them are prepared for battle. Which is in contrast with briefing.
2. Change briefing.

I havent initiated contact just yet but will as soon as I locate the other caches.

Also I think I may have to play again with an AI mod.  http://postimg.org/gallery/abb8fd4/

Ahh good feedback thanks!

Quote:1. Ai mod friendly? - ASR/TPW/Zeus?

I have loaded it up with CWR2, TWPCAS, CBA, JSRS, and a few other sundry ones running and it seems okay. I don't see why Zeus wouldn't run with it. I wrote it with -only- Combined Ops + ACR enabled with the intent that it would be useable with a wide variety of loadup permutations. Of course I'm keen to write some that specifically use additional content like CBR and even ACE, but I wanted my first one or two to be a bit more simple.

Quote:2. No respawn. Right? riigghhhttt?  Big Grin

Well, right now it is a "singleplayer mission." But according to Sander that doesn't matter. If it gets put onto a server then (based on what he is saying) it should be loadable as a coop. In the Description.ext, I used the same "Respawn" that Phantom had in his Template. "GROUP" I think it was. I'm not entirely sure what that means, but yeah . . . Be happy to go back and edit it if it isn't really setup properly for "No Respawn" in Coop play. I think I left out some stuff in the Description or Overview that would normally show up in the Coop windows.

I need one of these experts to explain to me: if I am writing an COOP mission, is it okay to create it in the SP editor and if so, what do I need to do to make sure all the nifty stuff (parameters, respawn conditions, spectator mode, etc.) work properly? But I figured getting a working mission going first was the best way to start.

Oddities

Quote:Unrestrained Lethal Force? Wording seems strange

Basically what I'm trying to convey is: go ahead and kill everything if you need to. Not sure how a commander would actually convey that in a briefing, though to be honest, at this point in Western history, I doubt any commander WOULD convey something like that in writing  Wink Open to a better wording if you have one.

Quote:There is no actual approach on foot. You start at the checkpoint.

Yes, and I was wondering if people would get a bit perplexed or worried about that. Mainly I just included the Insertion helo-icon marker the "Approach on foot" arrows and the explanation about the sequence of the insertion and approach to make it more immersive. Just plopping 11 heavily armed dudes down in the desert with an ammo crate is always an option, but I like missions that have at least some semblance of a backstory and a believable scenario.

Quote:Squad leader is using a DMR? There are 2 other soldiers with a dmr. Would probably be better to start with m16a4 203 that is in the crate and allow the option to switch to the DRM.

I love the DMR and I think sniper rifles when properly used in this game are exceptionally powerful. To me, three MMs in one 11 man squad doesn't seem like overkill. From what I know of SpecOps I'd think that is not that unusual is it?

The squad comp is:
1 SL with DMR
2,3 Saboteur with M16A4 SD CCO
4,5 Grenadier
6,7 MG
8,9 Medic
10,11 MM

Those are all just default Force Recon soldiers. I did fiddle with the custom soldier gear loadouts script; but abandoned it when giving the Grenadiers M4A3 ACOG GLs seem to be causing some kinda bug where I could raise my weapon up to aim mode.

Given this is a specops team with a very specific mission: get in and destroy four crates, that seemed like a good team permutation to me.

Quote:The 3 sabotuers are gimped op. This is a loud mission. No if, and, or buts. Loud 100%.

Only 2 saboteurs, and if you find that having two SD in the team isn't to your liking the crate has 4 M16A4 ACOG GLs in it.

Quote:I dont think there is anyway to drop a single person without alerting atleast a whole squad then town.

I have replayed it several times and I do think there is a role for some stealth if one chose to play it that way. The saboteurs main role is to get to the caches and set their charges. If they can do it silently, great; if not, well then they've got a small army to back them up Wink

As I say, I just used the default FR soldier gear loadouts, and for whatever reason BIS has Force Recon "Saboteurs" equipped that way. Open to putting alternative weapons in the starting crate if anyone has any suggestions. I do want to keep the starting crate fairly limited in size and scope as it would be a bit hard to believe that HQ would send 11 guys to blow up enemy munitions and in support of that drop a gigantic pile of munitions out in the desert!  :o

Quote:(It doesn't matter. they are blind.  Too blind perhaps. Ive been shot at once.)

I didn't do anything to the AI skill levels (well, maybe slide it upwards a bit in a few cases) so those are just default Takistani militia. Thing is, it is midnight, and overcast and slightly foggy. Perfect conditions. The one thing I'm noticing that I'm a bit unhappy about is that, once the AI starts to take casualties in the town, they don't do a 'great' job of taking cover. Some of them do, some don't. Need to fiddle more with triggers and waypoints I think.

Quote:That being said the enemy placements are very good. They have very good covered sectors of fire, intersecting patrols, patrols covered by  sniper (albiet sniper without nvg) etc. I dont know if I would expect this from an untrained group of insurgents.

Good! Glad to hear that. Well, I'm of two minds on this issue. On the one hand, according to the scenario, we are deep in side enemy territory and they are not expecting an attack. That would suggest that the number of guys awake and on sentry should be a LOT fewer. Probably 75% of them or something should be in the sack catching ZZZs. However, it is my understanding that the "Dismissed" waypoint type pretty much doesn't work right and causes the AI to wander aimlessly. If there were a way to set AI as "asleep" and have their anim appear as laying on their back without a weapon in their hand that would be cool.

On the other hand, it IS a main base for Colonel Azzizz and they did receive a major weapons shipment. Just based on that, a somewhat heightened level of awareness in the town isn't out of the question. Also, there was a helicopter in the area recently (2.5km away). I would think that might have been audible even though quite distant. That right there might have prompted a heightened level of awareness in the town.

Then of course there is just the issue of it being a game. Mainly I wanted to challenge the player with a town full of enemies who were 'well placed' to defend so I decided to just place a good portion of them in defensive spots, but also have a good portion patrolling with various waypoint series.

Quote:Perhaps
2. Change briefing.

NONE of the enemy soldiers start in Combat mode. They are almost all in Aware, though some in "Safe." A few might be in "Stealth" simple to get them to go prone/crouched, but mostly I used specific postures (UP, MIDDLE, DOWN) so most "Aware" mode I think. If you see them exhibiting classic "Combat" mode behaviors then it must be because they have become alerted by something.

Quote:I havent initiated contact just yet but will as soon as I locate the other caches.

I've played it a few different ways and it is my hope that, the way I've setup enemies will offer a bit of a challenge no matter how the player plays it. Finding the caches is intended to be a _bit_ challenging but not terrible (2 of them should be spottable from outside of buildings; 1 is quite obvious outside of buildings). The 4th might be a bit more difficult to find and require some house-clearing.

Also when you get to the point of Extracting, just be patient. Let the chopper get to you, then tell your guys to board when it is appropriate. The chopper will wait for all surviving team members before it heads back to its FOB. Also, the mission will (or at least SHOULD based on my testing) end once extraction is complete (i.e., all surviving squad members are out of harms way) and assuming that all tasks have been finished.

Oh I loved the mission. Just observations. You usually run it with tpwcas? If so then that changes things quite a bit.

TPWCAS includes TPW_los_ai (or something like that) I wouldnt have been able to do some most of the things I did because the ai would have spotted and reacted faster to me. That can potentially make the mission much more difficult silenced.

I should note I played it in mp mission mode as I can not lead AI. I simply disabled them all and went solo.

Ill go try silenced again with @tpwcas loaded.

Can you list all the mods you "tested" with? Especially ai mods. They can drastically change mission difficulty.
Oh and reccomended difficulty too

As it stands from my 1st play through, vanilla feels too easy. Especially considering it is a co-11 and I was alone.

Yeah, I was wondering if it was too easy. Having all the AI squad mates along might actually make it MORE difficult!  Big Grin

As say, I created basically VANILLA CO.

Once I had it compiled into a .pbo, I loaded it with my typical loadout:
JSRS
MK4
CBA
CWR2
TPWCAS
RUG_DSAI
TRUE_USER

all the rest are just content and do not affect gameplay.

Did you finish it solo? If so, what mods running? Depending on how easy you found/find it to be to finish it solo, I just might have to ratchet up the difficulty a few notches!  Tongue

I have finished it once or twice playing in control of the whole AI squad and behaving more or less like I imagine a coop team behaving. I managed to finish it once with no casualties. However, it is difficult for me to judge how hard it is, given I designed it myself.

As far as recommendes difficulty: I'd say Veteran or Regular. When I play SP I generally play Veteran but with a couple of Regular level settings turned on (3rd person view). I find vehicle use without 3rd person view is just not much fun, and 1st person view just doesn't capture peripheral vision and auditory awareness that a real person has.

Played with
cba's
jsrs

-- Restarting now with  TPWcas, jsrs, and Rug_dsai and my modified elite difficulty.  The rest I dont think matter.

Perhaps when you have time host the mission and we try 2-manning it(or more). So you get a feel for it?

Try playing with at least a small AI squad 'simulating' a coop human team and see what you think?

I know you don't play with the AI much. But I reckon that it might actually be EASIER to finish it solo than to do it with a coop team.

If that is the case, then I'm not sure if that is a bad or a good thing.

will do. hmm.. How does one select the 11th guy? I can choose up to 10.  F12 then F1 ty Kenworte

I dont suppose you can make the ai stop that nonessential chatter?

I dislike that chatter too. It can be atmospheric at times, but generally is annoying.

Completed.

Result was more or less the same. No one returned fire.

The HMG+ DMR (myself as squad leader) simply outranged them all.

I think there were 2 technical. We took them out from spawn. ! squad that patrols 2-300m from spawn, also taken out from spawn.

In a way the ai made it somewhat easier. They have great eyesight. They took out most people in buildings before I got close. The 50 I managed to take out were when I cleared the buildings. The marksmen and HMG teams took care of everything else. No one else fired.

Come to think of it.. I didnt take out the snipers in the tower. Im guessing they went prone and never stood up again.

Coop I think will be like shooting fish in a barrel. They simply have no chance to engage. The only way I can imagine them firing back is if the team just runs into town.

I would go so far as to say silenced isnt needed at all. I was loud with the dmr in cqc. They never fired on me. One or two looked like they might have tried (missed a few shots so they were able to pin point my position by weapon flash) but they died too quickly after that.

Hmm.. Perhaps changing time? 15-20 mins of current darkness then morning where they can see?

Force the team to be fast (and reward them with being able to kill with impunity) and punish if they take too long with the enemy being able to see and return fire?

I may just leave this one how it is and make my next one more challenging. Overall 'shooting fish in a barrel' is not too much off of what I had in mind  Wink