Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
Help with Display Settings - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Technical Support (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Help with Display Settings (/showthread.php?tid=2365)

Help with Display Settings - Anthropoid - 05-15-2013

I'm asking for one or more of you guys who have expertise in the technicalities of display settings to get into a coop+TS with me and try to help me resolve my in game and/or on computer display settings so that I have optimum sighting ability. I feel like right now I'm pretty badly gimped, and perhaps given the "monitor" that I use, there is nothing that can be done. I've asked on various gaming forums for advise, and Viktor and I spent some time one evening fiddling, but so far I have not really figured out how to get the most out of the rig that I have.

Basically, the problem that I have is that distant objects appear to be smaller, and less clear for me than they are for other players. I routinely cannot distinguish targets that you guys spot.

For example, in one evening session with Viktor, we were playing PMC_Versus_Umbrae. We were approaching the town and could see a firepit glowing through our NVGs up ahead. Seconds after we shifted position to have a line of sight between some buildings into the street near the firepit, Viktor announced "Three enemies at 170-degrees, about 150m."

Our group paused and I checked my compass; yep, I was looking in the exact same direction. Without binocs, the best way to describe what I could see was: some houses in the foreground, a bright light in an open area beyond them and an obvious light pole, some indistinct objects in the open area (apparently walls, benches, bushes, or perhaps crates or vehicles) and some changes in color that seemed pretty clear to be a road based on the converging rectangular shape. There were a couple of the smaller darker blips that were contrasted against the bright green from the lighted area that I reckoned "MIGHT" be people.

With binocs, yep, there they were: three or four soldiers standing there near a fire barrel.

To show me what he could see, Viktor grabbed a couple screen shots in both non-focused and focused visual mode (right-mouse-click off and on).

Comparing his non-focused, broad field of view to my FOCUSED field of view: he had about 10x the clarity that I had. His focused was nearly as good as my view with binocs.

We spent sometime fiddling with the ingame video settings, but to be honest I don't think I was able to improve it, and have resorted to going back to what I have used all along as it seems to be the 'least bad' settings for me:

1024 x 768 resolution (the default for my TV and the one that I tend to use for my desktop)

My "monitor" is a Panasonic 42" TV model TH-42PX600U

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TH-42PX600U-Plasma-HDTV-Television/dp/B0019J8F6W

As you can see, the 41 customer reviews for this model on Amazon are astoundingly good. In sum, this ain't no crummy TV, and for people watching 'television' [though not necessarily gaming] it seems to be very highly rated. I just cannot figure out why such a high quality TV would render my games in so few resolutions and in such low-clarity at the resolutions where positioning of on screen elements is good.

It seems that 1024 x 768 is the 'default' resolution of the TV and use of that or other 1.33 aspect ratios works overall.

Probably my main problem is that this TV (which is about 10 year old) is not really meant to be used with high-resolution 3D graphics type games (though it does have a default "PC" port in the inputs selection). For my desktop display settings high resolutions (even the 1.33 aspect ratio ones like 1280x960; 1400x1060; or 1600x1200) that it lists in my display settings tends to make everything on my desktop so small that I can barely see it, which is effectlvely the same problem I have when I turn up the resolution in Arma.

It may be that my only real solution is to use a different monitor, but if there is any hope for a workaround I appreciate any help or suggestions anyone can offer.

Re: Help with Display Settings - kutya - 05-15-2013

I ain't no tech expert, but I think the main problem is that it is a TV. As far as I know (and I may be wrong), the main difference is the clarity of the image. TVs are more blurry because you watch them from a distance.
I understand your pain, because I played Arma2 on medium detail on a 19'' monitor in 1440x900. Recently I switched to ultra detail on a 27'' monitor in 1920x1080 (+ a much better framerate). And believe me, it is a really big difference. It is unfair for players with lower end PCs, but I fear upgrading is the only true solution. As I said, I may be wrong.

Re: Help with Display Settings - GG-Viktor Reznov - 05-15-2013

Keep on your default settings and try supersampling? This may make your gpu cry.
How far away from your screen do you sit?

"Native Resolution - 1024x768 4 - 3 aspect ratio for TV/AV modes - zoom, full, just HDTV compatibility - 480p/720p/1080i Motion Adaptive"

It seems you can set your tv off of the TV/AV mode to a higher resolution. How do you connect your cpu to your tv? hdmi cable?  Check your tv settings, mine has options for connecting to computer tv's printers, camera's. Things that I didnt even know exist.

my tv. Not exact same model number but close enough  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sanyo-DP42849-42-LCD-HDTV/10929990

Check page 30 of owners manual  - http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/TH42PX600U-MULTI.PDF

Re: Help with Display Settings - Variable - 05-15-2013

Anthropoid, let me be clear on this. You won't be able to distinguish targets properly on a resolution of 1024 x 768. There is NO workaround whatsoever simply because physically that TV has too less pixels. Most of us use 1920 x 1080 monitors and that is almost twice as much pixels to draw the picture.

No connection hoopla or software tricks can bridge this gap, simply because you are heavily limited by your hardware. The only solution would be to upgrade your monitor device. When you decide that you do want to upgrade, don't settle on anything less than 1920 x 1080 pixels (that's actually full HD).

Re: Help with Display Settings - Anthropoid - 05-16-2013

Yeah, thanks for the responses guys. That is pretty much what I was afraid of.

My wife got this TV about 8 or 9 years ago for 10 years of service. We never watch TV and I switched to using it for my gaming a few years back. Nice big image! But yeah, seems to be rather constrained on the resolution.

I guess you guys will just have to cope with the ego-hit, knowing that I'm playing along handicapped by crap hardware for now  Wink