Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
Arma 3 Campaign - SPOILERS AHEAD! - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Singleplayer (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Arma 3 Campaign - SPOILERS AHEAD! (/showthread.php?tid=2480)

Pages: 1 2 3

Arma 3 Campaign - SPOILERS AHEAD! - Variable - 11-10-2013

wtf is with the campaign's last mission, mortars always get me. And no save option? I should have one since I'm on veteran but even one is not available.
Did anyone else get that?

Re: Arma 3 Campaign - Misha - 11-10-2013

It's should be pretty random but somehow mortar always hits too close to player. I think they mentioned they will fix that. I tried everything, going in front of leader, falling behind, going left/right, but in the end, after about ten attempts, I survived completely by chance.

Re: Arma 3 Campaign - Legolasse - 11-10-2013

Yeah, that was a head exploding experience. Took me more than 10 tries to get through. You can't really stop at all until reach the other side of the hill and stick with your team leader after that. Sucks also that there is no real cover from the paratroopers so surviving them is also by chance.

Re: Arma 3 Campaign - Varanon - 11-11-2013

(11-10-2013, 01:00 AM)Variable link Wrote:Did anyone else get that?

Oh, so you can't save either ? I have the same. Apart from the fact that the mission is ridiculous ("We're outnumbered, but backup is on the way, so now is the time to dig in and wait.. what ? we attack ? Why ?"), I stopped even trying.

Re: Arma 3 Campaign - Variable - 11-11-2013

lol I was shocked as well when Miller said that now is the time to strike. Makes no sense at all...
It's so easy to justify any offensive initiative, but BIS had to choose the most foolish reasoning of them all.

Re: Arma 3 Campaign - Outlawz7 - 01-19-2014

Well, finished the Adapt on dev build yesterday.

I won't reveal any plot, but they're sticking with the whole "Camp Maxwell" (inter)missions. Bonus is, you get additional tasks if you listen in on a bunch of AI talking in the base, however you have to do them all by yourself by exiting the base and a mission called Scouting gets added in between storyline missions.
They carry over as long as the base is the same spot. I'm not sure how much they affect the story, I think some add  a couple of guns to the armory tables etc.

Biggest issue I had was the difficulty. I played on regular with friendly AI at 1.0 and enemy at 0.5, yet I only had one save available to me and the enemy AI pretty much ripped me apart on several missions, calling for the good old 'load game, try again' a number of times. The one that took the medal was when I lost my 5-man squad to the last surviving enemy who launched a M203 from 300m right in between all of them.

When I finally did a Scouting mission, I chose to do an 'attack checkpoint', which required me to walk several kilometers, then try to snipe the enemies one by one with Mk18. Of course they needed two or three 7.62mm rounds to drop while I got instantly hit by their 6.5mm from 400-500m away, pretty much doing the whole mission wounded. Salt on the wound, they didn't have fucking optics while I had an MRCO. I then did another task that required me to clear some farm of weapon smugglers (armed civs) and of course I got my ass handed to me three times by guys armed with SMGs until I memorized all their patrol paths and locations and got them all in one go.

I recommended the scouting missions if you like walking and want to add another 10 hours to your campaign time.  >Sad

Aside from that, I encountered one script error and an inconsistency in one of the missions. Basically, in one mission I had to choose to do Thing 1 or Thing 2 and I went for 2. Two missions later, at the start I get a cutscene saying I'm at disadvantage for doing Thing 2, but then getting a radio conversation saying that I fucked up for doing Thing 1 when I in fact did Thing 2 and the mission briefing was consistent with doing Thing 2. Meh.

Re: Arma 3 Campaign - Alwarren - 01-19-2014

I'm not too far into the campaign, and I can confirm that the difficulty is insane. The AI shoots you accurately on the move, and they added a few nice touches like trying to climb a mountain road with a truck while gunships fire at you.

Not cool.

I only did one scouting mission once, and actually liked it better than the other missions Big Grin But doing patrols all by yourself is stupid, they should have a pool of guys you can pick from.

Re: Arma 3 Campaign - Variable - 01-19-2014

(01-19-2014, 03:34 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:...patrols all by yourself...
For fuck sake what are they thinking...

Re: Arma 3 Campaign - Alwarren - 01-19-2014

(01-19-2014, 03:39 PM)Variable link Wrote:For fuck sake what are they thinking...

Thinking?:-D

Re: Arma 3 Campaign - Variable - 01-25-2014

I'm really enjoying Adapt.
I was actually surprised to find myself liking the scouting missions as well, it feels Far Cry 2 all over again, in a good way. Roaming around with a loot vehicle, packing equipment in, looking for interesting places.

Re: Arma 3 Campaign - Outlawz7 - 02-08-2014

I checked my difficulty settings and 'unlimited saves' were disabled, probably by default. Guess that explains the 'one save per mission' thing.

Re: Arma 3 Campaign - Variable - 02-08-2014

Yeah, veteran difficulty has multiple saves disabled by default.
Edit: I really recommend playing the campaign with only a single manual save per mission. It really adds to the tension.

Re: Arma 3 Campaign - HKFlash - 02-12-2014

I'm currently doing the Bosmos scouting tasks but a few more guys to help would definitely improve the game play experience.

Re: Arma 3 Campaign - Alwarren - 02-12-2014

(02-08-2014, 05:57 PM)Variable link Wrote:Yeah, veteran difficulty has multiple saves disabled by default.
Edit: I really recommend playing the campaign with only a single manual save per mission. It really adds to the tension.

And the frustration. As a rule, my AI teammates were always around 50-200 meters behind me. I even got a "where are you" randomly because one guy was hanging back and lost track of me. When ordered to retreat to that one base after taking out the mortars, they stupidly insisted to keep firing and didn't fall the fuck back, because the "disengage" command is not what it is supposed to be.

There is no end to the frustration that the AI causes, especially the friendly AI.

Re: Arma 3 Campaign - Misha - 02-13-2014

AI tend to slow down after any engagement, they will follow but in a typical slow motion we know form previous Arma's. In fact, Arma 2's AI is much better in this regard, it was like this but they fixed it. Now why old bugs keep appearing in new titles, only BIS knows!

It's a shame you can't bring AIs when playing side missions, it would make sense to be able to bring medic, machinegunner or whoever that fits best for a mission and in numbers that are adequate. Going in lone wolf style is so unrealistic, you don't even report to anyone that you are about to go on a mission!

But all in all, it's a good campaign that could easily could have been great one if they worked more on it.