Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
Radio Brevity - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: CiA Coop Nights (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Radio Brevity (/showthread.php?tid=4086)

Radio Brevity - Alwarren - 03-22-2021

AO, OP and HVT are all brevity codes for concepts that are often discussed over the radio. Because Radio Traffic should be short and efficient.

However, brevity seems to be absent in recent coop nights, resulting in oversaturated radio traffic. Yesterday during Stag's mission, I was close to yelling into the radio that people should start to shorten their replies, and similar things happened in other coop nights. Mind you, I know I am myself guilty for a lot of the things I am going to rant about - still I feel it should be addressed. Also, I don't want to offend anyone, so if you apply this to yourself (which you totally should), don't see it as me pointing fingers at you.

Sometimes during contact reports, the number of nose hairs (not meant literally) is reported when "Contact, Infantry, 270 degrees close" would have been enough. Sometimes radios are used when people face each other in a most pandemic-defiant act and normal voice would be sufficient to communicate. Sometimes completely pointless information is passed on, or it is drawn out into full paragraphs of text when in reality it could be shortened to a few words.

So, what I would like to point out is that radio traffic should be kept to a minimum, especially when in a combat situation. Contact reports for example can be kept very short depending on the threat level the contact has. A single infantry half a kilometer away is sufficiently covered with "Contact, single infantry, x degrees far". Filler words like "I see" or "I am at" are not required, and should be omitted ("I am at the pointed marked on the map" can be shortened to "at the RV"). Restrict yourself to the required information, and keep it as short as possible.

On the other end of the spectrum, DO relay important information. For example, if the team has taken a break to observe, and the team leader just continues without saying anything, some people are bound to be left behind. 

And finally, if you are the recipient of a message, confirm that you have received and understood it. A simple "wilco" or "roger" is sufficient, it just gives the confirmation that the message was received and understood.

Radio Brevity - Variable - 03-22-2021

I agree. Radio is not for talking, it’s for commands, acknowledgements and reports - that’s it.

RE: Radio Brevity - Verstanden - 03-22-2021

I agree with what you wrote. After all this is also part of the server SOPs.
So this has been my observation as well. Also I often catch myself making the outlined mistakes. I believe my biggest issues is the lack of brevity in some situations.

Here is a few practical additions I have found helpful for me:
when using the radio: Think first, push radio button, talk.

I like to iniate most of my messages on the LR by letting my recipient confirm they are ready to receive my message. Sometimes the person on the other end might be disctracted, out of radio range or even KIA.

RE: Radio Brevity - Rund - 03-22-2021

I agree, but it also takes a lot of practice.
I must say that my spoken english (and especially "military stuff") is pretty bad and I lack the vocabulary that I can use without thinking.  This sometimes makes me pause my sentence and think of the word that didn't come to mind. 
In other times, this comes is as a bonus: I have to think about what to say anyway, and I can make it brief.

RE: Radio Brevity - Phantom - 03-23-2021

Sounds good. I think conversations should be kept to local chat. I wonder if adjusting voice volume to talk to your buddy far away a good idea or not. Normally, I don't do shouting unless we're playing CSAR missions without radios. 

I'm curious as team leader or squad leader addressing on SR, say I suppose the following commands would be good enough:

"Moving 270"
*Mark position A on map* "We're moving to position A to our East"

I suppose as team leader or squad leader, I'd find myself talking a lot more on radio. As a grunt, I'd find myself talking less to free up the comms unless 

"Contact close 340 degrees"

I think for medic I'd prefer to have my SR transmitting to let the team know on status of downed patient.

----------

I will say TLDR, I agree. Keep chatter to local while important messages short and verbose on radio. I would also say for certain commands, keep repeating "Do you copy over?" to make sure everyone that the command is confirmed by all parties that needs to hear it (otherwise assumed the person is wounded, KIA, busy in a firefight or something).

RE: Radio Brevity - Mjolnir - 03-24-2021

Alwarren Wrote:AO, OP and HVT are all brevity codes for concepts that are often discussed over the radio. Because Radio Traffic should be short and efficient.

However, brevity seems to be absent in recent coop nights, resulting in oversaturated radio traffic. Yesterday during Stag's mission, I was close to yelling into the radio that people should start to shorten their replies, and similar things happened in other coop nights. Mind you, I know I am myself guilty for a lot of the things I am going to rant about - still I feel it should be addressed. Also, I don't want to offend anyone, so if you apply this to yourself (which you totally should), don't see it as me pointing fingers at you.

Sometimes during contact reports, the number of nose hairs (not meant literally) is reported when "Contact, Infantry, 270 degrees close" would have been enough. Sometimes radios are used when people face each other in a most pandemic-defiant act and normal voice would be sufficient to communicate. Sometimes completely pointless information is passed on, or it is drawn out into full paragraphs of text when in reality it could be shortened to a few words.

So, what I would like to point out is that radio traffic should be kept to a minimum, especially when in a combat situation. Contact reports for example can be kept very short depending on the threat level the contact has. A single infantry half a kilometer away is sufficiently covered with "Contact, single infantry, x degrees far". Filler words like "I see" or "I am at" are not required, and should be omitted ("I am at the pointed marked on the map" can be shortened to "at the RV"). Restrict yourself to the required information, and keep it as short as possible.

On the other end of the spectrum, DO relay important information. For example, if the team has taken a break to observe, and the team leader just continues without saying anything, some people are bound to be left behind. 

And finally, if you are the recipient of a message, confirm that you have received and understood it. A simple "wilco" or "roger" is sufficient, it just gives the confirmation that the message was received and understood.

Roger, out.

RE: Radio Brevity - Alwarren - 03-24-2021

Mjolnir Wrote:Roger, out.

Big Grin