Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: WGL or FDF
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Which do you prefer?

I like WGL better, basically because you dont die as soon as the AI starts shooting at you. Sure, all the other stuff is nice, but thats the deal breaker.
Definitely WGL. FDF is not bad of course but by now it bores me after all those coop nights with it.
WGL has less deadly AT weapons, entertaining mortars, very cool effects for everything which goes "boom", nice tracers, rucksacks and whatnot. And yeah, you don't die from one shot and the AI doesn't either.

Make

What about organizing WGL Coop nights?
Definately WGL. I especially like the realistic tracers, better aiming sights eg for grenade launhers and AT weapons. Realistic handgrenades (timed and bounce), ruck system, transportable crew served weapons.

I would have liked to see some more realism features added, for example, (I saw this one in FFUR mod I think) M203 grenade launcher has an arming distance of 14 to 27m, so if you shoot it into the ground or at something below that distance it just bounces and doesnt detonate. Same for various AT and RPG launchers - minimum arming distances. As grip says dragging wounded as well would be good - like in the SLX mod.

I would also like to see some extra vehicles added like all the BAS choppers.

And finally especially need CoC arty..... but the annoying bug not being able to call in an In Adjust mission with UA mortars is a pain.

Anyone keen for WGL tonight? Smile
Oh yes, how could I forget about the sights for rigle grenade launchers? They are awesome.

About minimal ranges of rockets and grenades: I don't think you really can pull this off with Ofp. One could definitely track a fired rockets or grenades with eventHandlers but you had to exchange the projectile in mid-flight wich might be possible as well but I don't think the newly created projectile could be manipulated so that it continues the exact same flight path as the previous one (you'd need at least two types of ammo for every AT weapon: a dummy one which will actually be fired and is configured to not cause any damage on impact and a second one which will have normal config values for damage etc. and needs to be exchanged with the dummy rocket in mid-flight after the arming range was passed). That's how I think it would have to be done theoretically but maybe there is another (and simpler) way.

I'm in for WGL tonight but I won't be able to join before 9 p.m. (rather 9.30).
Don't forget we are talking about (and playing as addicts) a ten year old game now. I think OFP still is quite impressing (due to mods as WGL and FDF) but maybe the limits of finesses is reached? For the rockets, maybe a 2 sec delay before "arming" (as if rocket hit anything before it won't explode). It would surly help against shooting up bushes in front of you.
I don't know of any config parameter to arm a rocket after a certain flight time or distance (but I'm not a config expert in any way  Wink)
(04-30-2009, 09:05 AM)Zwobot link Wrote: [ -> ]Oh yes, how could I forget about the sights for rigle grenade launchers? They are awesome.

About minimal ranges of rockets and grenades: I don't think you really can pull this off with Ofp. One could definitely track a fired rockets or grenades with eventHandlers but you had to exchange the projectile in mid-flight wich might be possible as well but I don't think the newly created projectile could be manipulated so that it continues the exact same flight path as the previous one (you'd need at least two types of ammo for every AT weapon: a dummy one which will actually be fired and is configured to not cause any damage on impact and a second one which will have normal config values for damage etc. and needs to be exchanged with the dummy rocket in mid-flight after the arming range was passed). That's how I think it would have to be done theoretically but maybe there is another (and simpler) way.

I'm in for WGL tonight but I won't be able to join before 9 p.m. (rather 9.30).

What you suggested here is exactly how grenades work in WGL. When you throw one, the grenade is deleted and a new one which is timed is put in its place. You can see this on the spectating script, with missle cam on, you follow the grenade for about 0.2 seconds, then the cam stops and goes back to the person, whereas the grenade carries on.

Btw, rockets are armed when they are put in the tube. So if you hit something solid infront of you, then it explodes. Theres a video of Iraqi insurgents on youtube somewhere doing that with an RPG.
WGL definitely. The AI in FDFmod is very boring. Even more so than default OFP.

For some incomprehensible reason FDFmod made the AI basically never shoot any weapon (including sniper rifles and MGs) at a target past 250m. Another factor is that the AI is laser accurate. This makes for some really lame "fire fights":

1. Players spend most of the time shooting at AI from a "stand-off" distance in a true turkey shooting fashion. AI just runs around like idiots without ever firing a shot back at the players. There's no reason to go closer because the weapons are well deadly and accurate enough from 300-400m.

2. Once in a blue moon, a careless player wanders a bit too close and dies from a single perfectly placed shot. Go back to 1.

Another fucked up thing is that the AI does not take the slow FDFmod recoil into account, but the firing rates for AI are set way too high, so, in the improbable event of the first shot not hitting the target, the AI will empty the rest of the magazine into the skies at full-auto (especially at high skill level).
Mjolnir you are right about the grenades in WGL. You can also observe this when you throw a handgrenade directly in front of you: it will explode like a normal Ofp handgrenade with it's mini-mushroom explosion.

I don't know if all RPGs haven't got an arming range, given the fact that there are so many variants. But ATGMs normally are armed after some hundred meters as far as I know.
Well in real life the AT4 M136 is armed first when it flown 30m as a precaution. Another interesting thing is that the rules regarding security(and as all Swedish security rules it means in peace time) says that the back blast area stretches 90m behind the gunner. And during training the instructions says that 3-5 AT4 is needed to take out a tank.(T-72 or T-80).
(04-30-2009, 05:06 PM)Grip link Wrote: [ -> ]. And during training the instructions says that 3-5 AT4 is needed to take out a tank.(T-72 or T-80).

In WGL, I think its actually quite a bit higher than that. I know it takes a frak load of LAWs. Like 30+ actually.
WGL as its AI is not that stupid and passive and thus provides more challenge. Couldn't really understand what's so special about FDF gameplay-wise (but it has some nice BIS islands remakes like Maldevic - they can be ported to any other mod quite easily though)
(Although I like ECP (with GRAA) more as it provides some interesting features like making environment more realistic while keeping AI at WGL's level. Though it doesn't have the same level of realism when it comes to wounds f.e.)
(04-30-2009, 05:06 PM)Grip link Wrote: [ -> ]Well in real life the AT4 M136 is armed first when it flown 30m as a precaution. Another interesting thing is that the rules regarding security(and as all Swedish security rules it means in peace time) says that the back blast area stretches 90m behind the gunner. And during training the instructions says that 3-5 AT4 is needed to take out a tank.(T-72 or T-80).

I am pretty sure, BBDA's are implemented in the FFUR or FFUR/SLX mod, as well as arming M203 grenades after 14m. You can wound or kill someonw behind when firing RPG's, AT's etc....

Also I like the variety of available ammo types for RPG's in WGL: WGL_RPG7VLMag, WGL_RPG7Mag, WGL_RPG7VRMag, WGL_TBG7VMag - - the thermobaric round is awesome against infantry...

Make

(05-01-2009, 04:30 AM)MCraze link Wrote: [ -> ]Couldn't really understand what's so special about FDF gameplay-wise

Of course to play as a fin and kill some ruskies Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3