Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Off-topic. . .
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Wayy off topic, but I don't know where to put this.

I just finished watching 'Lonesome Dove', an American mini-series about a period of time in our 'Old West'. I'd heard about it for a long time and finally caught it over the last few days. I really liked it and recommend it to you all. I mention it because it's gotten me thinking - are there any well-done, well-acted mini-series like 'Lonesome Dove' produced in your countries? Something that tells a good story about interesting characters during an interesting time in your countries' pasts? If so, I'd like to know about them - I want to watch more productions like this (particularly if it's very well done - 'Lonesome Dove' won several awards over here, including a Golden Globe for one of the actors; LD showcased a lot of locations in the territories that formed the settings of different parts of the story; it was also six hours long, which I think is great for a good story).

If you have a recommendation for a show along these lines, let's hear about it! Smile
Hi Anguis,

sure we have some really good stuff here. But i doubt you´ll understand bavarian? if you do, i recommend:

It´s about how some 68-spirit-infuenced friends have to deal with their bavarian neighbours and parents, slowly slipping away from beeing young and free to be grown up and bound ;-). In the scene you can see Sir Quickly (named ater his NSU Motorbike he rides - a very famous one in that time in Germany) with his bull doing a bull-race. The name of the Bull is Ringo (guess after whom is he named...) and he only runs when he hears "Tambourine Man" so his friends Sepp and Effendi run for the Tape :-).

If you want i can go on with "Monaco Franze" or maybe "Indien" too, which isnt a mini series on its own, but can be seen as one, as the main actor Josef Hader has made a series of Austrian Films with grotesk black austrian humor which can give you a deep look into the souls of our beloved austrian neighbours :-)!!!

BTW: If you need translation on some parts of the film, you can ask, but dont expect any sense out of it :-)...

Cheers and have some TV fun (i dont watch TV at all, but those are just - culture :-)!!!)

Thanks, Tony! I don't mind that I can't understand what's spoken (though I will try to find out if any of them are available with subtitles). Have they been uploaded in their entirety to YouTube? If so, I'll just use that. That little bit w/ Ringo is funny and the bit in the tent reminds me of an Oktoberfest celebration that's held in Dallas. I'll check out the Hader stuff, too - Austria holds a special place in my heart: I had an adventure there (in Bad Ischl) as one of a few wandering Americans during the winter part of my time studying in Europe, about 17 years ago (we ended up warming up in Munchen. . .).

Any others, guys?
ha, i hardly can believe, that you want to go through that :-). I surely will support that spirit of intercultural exchange... Here is the very first of the series:

Die Lange Nacht 1-5

third: Sir Quickly und die Frauen
fourth: Eiskalt und knallhart
fith: Liebe
sixth: Nur keine Panik
the next ones i cant find, but iguess, when you are through this, you´ll be happy :-).

More OT:
A few nights ago (Sunday I believe) I spent some time in front of the TV watching Superbowl, a big event in American football. I'm really sorry Anguis but I didn't understand much. Most of the time it was a bunch of guys rolling on the grass, and in those 30+ minutes I watched I actually saw those guys actually kick the odd shaped thing called ball twice (an European ball is round and circular btw). The rest of the time they was eiter standing still just looking at each others or they tried to play some sort of handball, throwing the ball to each other.  Wink

It might just be my incompetence in sport but I hope the upcomming Olympic Winter Games in Canada won't give you folks "over there" the same puzzeled mind I got watching your sport (it was sport wasn't it?) when you see what some Europeans use years of their life preparing just for an event like this.

I for sure is looking forward to some fun hours in front of the TV (good thing about America is their day is at our evening) watching Norwegians beat rest of the wolrd.

Not so fun if you are from [url=
[Image: handegg.jpg]
;D
It's true as they say, a picture says more than thousand words  Big Grin
You think American football dosen't make sense?...What about rugby?
[Image: rugby%20scrum.jpg]

Or Austrailian Rules football?....Sorry Marto Smile
[Image: sports-pictures-australian-rules-take-it.jpg]
@Overlord:

LOL, yes, our "football" involves foot-to-ball contact only occasionally. The name comes from tradition. It's distantly related to the various sports that other cultures/languages call football.

I didn't see the Superbowl. Actually I didn't even know when it was. I must be a defective American.

But AFAIK cricket is the most incomprehensible sport around, I don't believe anyone outside of former British Empire countries understands it.
Yeah, football - the one sport I really regret not having played in high school. If you're interested in learning about it, I suggest playing it (flag or two-hand touch) with some local Americans who are willing to play with you. It's fun. When I taught English in Lithuania, football was one of the sports we taught the kids. Once they got the hang of planning and executing (sounds a little familiar, doesn't it?) plays, they loved it. Any fan of wargames should get a kick out of it, too. Ask Viking.

Interesting flag-football article in a UK paper today. Yes, there is video. . . No, you're not supposed to tackle in flag-football. But girls love it.

It's funny that you've posted this. A few months ago, I was thinking about posting a question to you Europeans: how popular is American football over there? I heard a story about an NFL game played in London this last season.
(02-11-2010, 05:43 AM)Anguis Viridis link Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, football - the one sport I really regret not having played in high school.

I suppose you regret not having been in more car crashes, too. :o
American "Football" is possibly the only game more boring than Cricket. Yes, people get flattened. Yes people run around.... If they ever get moving around. Whoever thought that stopping the game every time someone gets tackled was a moron. I watched last years superbowl, and its the only time I have ever known 30mins last 2 hours.
A small example of what makes football exciting: [url=
American football is the closest thing to medevil combat you can get in sport with out swords. Armored warriors battling at close quarters, both individualy and as a team. The individual skills involved are not as difficult as some other sports, for example the 2 most difficult things to do in sport are hitting a major league curve ball (baseball), and being consistent in golf (talk about a boring sport to watch, MJ if you want to see boring try watching 3 hours of golf it will make your eyes bleed). The team aspect of the game though is the key and the strategy, tactics, and preperation in American football is much more invloved and complex then any team sport.@OL it might suprise you but a great many Americans have played and enjoy what we call soccer (European football), I play in an indoor soccer league here, and I watch the English premier league games (I am a Man U fan) it is as they say the beautiful game,but American football is still my favorite. I coached it at the High school level (and as any american sports fan can tell you Texas High School football is like a religion here lol). I love playing soccer but I do miss the violence of football I am just a little too old to handle that now. There is nothing like the fear of seeing a guy that is 6 feet 4 inches tall and weighs 285 pounds who can run a 4.4 second 40 meter comming at you in full pads (he will bring you the pain I promise). My favorite part of the game though is what we call the X's and O's, the planning and strategy of the game, it is very much like planning a mission or a battle the game itself is very much like a microcosim of battle and we love it. P.S. Kurt you are a communist lol.
(02-12-2010, 07:20 PM)Viking link Wrote: [ -> ]P.S. Kurt you are a communist lol.

Actually I enjoy watching football at the high school level. I just don't follow the NFL at all. People are pretty serious about high-school football where I live (eastern Ohio next to West Virginia). Maybe not as serious as in Texas, but still a massive amount of support for local teams. And it's all small towns, so you always run into people you know at games. Last I heard the team from the town of Steubenville, Ohio was on something like a 50-game winning streak spanning several seasons. (My town doesn't play against them, fortunately).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6