Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: [CiA] Teamspeak 3 whisper setup guide
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
OBSOLETE - plugin does not work in the latest Teamspeak version.

Due to the welcomed surge of new players to coop nights we started to venture to bigger missions with several teams. This calls for a new method of managing the intra-force communications.
Since we can't rely on the dodgy Arma 2 VOIP, the preferred alternative is using Teamspeak 3 "whisper" mechanism.

This guide will help you configure your Teamspeak and set a separate Push-to-Talk (PTT) key that shall transmit to all users on all channels.  Although this shall be used by team leaders  during coop nights, we would like to ask all players to set this up because leaders have this annoying tendency of getting killed (especially me damn it).

It's very simple, just select a key that will be convenient for you (I use 'J'), and set Teamspeak according to the image below (It's blackish because I use a dark theme for Teamspeak).

Ctrl+Shift+W (or 'Tools' > Whisper list) to bring this dialog up:
[Image: 8199917033_2358e579d2_z.jpg]
channel commander settings by Variable [CiA], on Flickr

In addition, I would warmly recommend using Mike's TS3 whisper plugin (attached to this post). It does two things:
It adds beeps at the beginning and the end of any whisper transmission you hear, and put the whisper transmissions on on your right ear (during the whisper other communication volume is reduced by 50%).
It's almost like using ACRE without the hassle of installing it.
Installation notice - read carefully the readme, and make sure to install the correct dll depending on your operating system.
To complete the experience, remove the annoying "psst" sound whisper notification of Teamspeak by "Settings" > "Options" > "Whisper" > Uncheck "Play notify sound when receiving a whisper".
Then go to "Settings" > "Options" > "Playback", and increase to the maximum "Sound Pack Volume".

Mike's ORBAT (Order of Battle) addon is really cool too (attached), it will add a briefing entry that shall display a list of all players on the server and their leaders. It may seem unrelated to this topic but I find it useful when trying to understand who talks to whom and who leads which team.
Your archive is a 7-zip file, so it should have the 7z extension.
The 64 bit version dll and sound files are also missing.

For the record: even re-installing TS3 (and uninstalling TS2) didn't work for me. The plugin just won't start.
Thanks rund, fixed now except for the extension. If anyone has problem just rename the files from zip to 7z and extract using 7z.
Your problem is weird, I'll ask mike about it.
I changed the settings on the first post so the transmission will broadcast only to Alpha, Bravo and Charlie channels, and by that not interfere to the guys on KIA and AFK channels. Apologies to anybody who already configured his TS...
Here's a screenshot of the error i'm getting, if it helps.
do you have it installed in the correct path?

attached screenshot of my folder:

[Image: whispers.png]
Thanks Variable, I'll take a look at ORBAT as well, sounds useful.

Has anyone worked out a way to have per-server Whisper settings? I can have different Hotkey profiles and only have the Whisper key set for some profiles, which I then associate with the servers, so that it's completely disabled on the others but I can't see how I'd set it up to Whisper to Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta on the CIA server but other Channels on a different server.
Added instructions to remove the annoying 'psst' notification on the first post.
(11-20-2012, 12:30 AM)Setup link Wrote: [ -> ]do you have it installed in the correct path?

attached screenshot of my folder:

Other than that my client is installed in the normal program files, It looks the same, yes.
(11-20-2012, 05:07 PM)rundll.exe link Wrote: [ -> ]Other than that my client is installed in the normal program files, It looks the same, yes.

Mines the same (but works) with the plugins in "C:\Program Files\TeamSpeak 3 Client\plugins\" . I don't have any "Appdata\Local\Teamspeak3 Client\" folder. Running Win7 x64 here.
(11-19-2012, 09:48 PM)Variable link Wrote: [ -> ]I changed the settings on the first post so the transmission will broadcast only to Alpha, Bravo and Charlie channels, and by that not interfere to the guys on KIA and AFK channels. Apologies to anybody who already configured his TS...

Yeah this is the setup I've always used. For some reason you may have to set it up again if you visit other servers, though that might have been fixed in the newer ts version.
Quote:Until next official patch is released, the use of beta is not allowed since it breaks VON

(11-19-2012, 05:19 PM)Variable link Wrote: [ -> ]....
Since we can't rely on the dodgy Arma 2 VOIP, the preferred alternative is using Teamspeak 3 "whisper" mechanism.

Can we then use beta patch again?
Personally, I can't see why it would be a problem if we're not using VON anymore.

It may even be that some of the beta fixes have made VON usable again but obviously we need to wait for 1.63 before testing (if we even want to, we might want to just keep using TS) rather than try and get everyone using the beta.
We could also update the server to use the beta (it has some server performance fixes)

But then we would need to use the beta to use VON...
That's probably a good idea and as we seem to be using TS instead of VON at the moment it shouldn't be a problem.

As I say, once 1.63 is released and a bit of time has passed for everyone to upgrade, we can perhaps look at switching back to VON again as we'll know that whether people are using 1.63 stable or a later beta, they will all be inter-operable as far as VON is concerned (unless BIS make another major change but hopefully that's unlikely). We may well feel that TS with the Whisper plugin is better than VON anyway though and stick with that.

I don't think that using TS is much of a barrier to new users joining us, as they really need to be on TS to chat pre-game anyway. Of course they probably won't have the whisper plugin setup but as that's only really needed for leaders and new users are unlikely to be taking that role immediately there's enough time to explain how to install and set that up if they become regulars.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5