Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: The Debriefing Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Four camps:
As much as I hate to admit it. We won the mission because something was broken. The target "suspects" are not suppose to move in the open like they did. They should hide inside the camps. The first dude, for example, should have hide inside a green tent. Them running like idiots into our hands made it a whole lot easier and allowed us to disengage without having to fight our way into the camps and face knife fights.
Oh well, it was a nice experience nonetheless. I guess we can keep it in a "completed" status hehe, we messed with this mission a lot. I like the assault on the first objective.
Steal the bomb:
That was a great operation. I think I prefer playing this at night. We managed to infiltrate deep into the base without being compromised and opened fire on our terms. I think that we managed to do that just because we walked slowly. That's the only difference I can think of from the previous attempt.
I got killed for being an idiot. I got greedy and wanted to pick up a Negev MG and started messing with the sights when the last guy in the base - who I knew was there somewhere - shot me in the back.
I got back to spectating to see you drive inside another base and get shot to shit. What happened there?
Fly Catcher:
Mission of the night! I think we are getting there. I wish we had some snipers, that could change the outcomes. Nonetheless, I think we did well, and we can complete it next time we try. I wish I recorded it. The battle sounds and the radio was especially immersive in this one...
(01-24-2014, 11:44 AM)Variable link Wrote:Steal the bomb:

I got back to spectating to see you drive inside another base and get shot to shit. What happened there?

We parked next to the choppers, and started taking fire (somehow they figured us out, but I didn't really expect they would just casually let us walk out of there anyway, sounded too good to be true). We disembarked, got into pretty brutal firefight, lasted less then 2 minutes, lots of bodies on both sides, but we were wiped out.

Fly Catcher

I like this mission, especially liked that attempt 2 days ago, lots of chaos, confusion, and long firefights. Even though we failed several times, i'm still looking forward to playing it again.
But to be honest, I don't really believe we can beat this mission, if we try to take on these guys in a regular firefight.

If you have any suggestions for the mission, let me know on the thread on this forum
Steal the bomb

What caused that enemy units recognize us? Maybe some of us were not wearing complete enemy uniforms, including helmets? Or was it the way we moved, too quickly maybe? Or place where we parked the trucks? Or our numbers, maybe we should only send two drivers into the camp while the rest waits safely somewhere outside? Too many questions and no way to find answers.
(01-15-2014, 05:49 PM)Variable link Wrote:Daium! I loved playing the forgotten few. Well balanced missions and highly immersive. Too bad it does not support JIP since it can consume the whole night once we start it. Maybe it's worth setting a special date for it...
I think this is a good idea! How about a special date for it?
(01-26-2014, 05:38 PM)Misha link Wrote:Steal the bomb

What caused that enemy units recognize us? Maybe some of us were not wearing complete enemy uniforms, including helmets? Or was it the way we moved, too quickly maybe? Or place where we parked the trucks? Or our numbers, maybe we should only send two drivers into the camp while the rest waits safely somewhere outside? Too many questions and no way to find answers.
See my post for the most probable answer.
Operation Zavarak
A moment to remember - multiple tanks coming up on the horizon, kill our sniper Alwarren and it seems like our end is near, and then an AH-64 comes up and light them up. That was cool... Another coop campaign completed on CiA coop nights!

Chilling in the Dark
I call for trying it again when the AI is a bit better, it didn't feel like a challenge on the defend part, although it seems like it was going better after I died on the second island.
Nice leading Spete. Clear and effective. One comment:
Moving in a line formation to cover distances of more than ~20 meters is not recommended. This formation forces everyone to constantly look right and left to adjust their spot, by that investing a lot of energy in just keeping the formation. That leads to two things - people are getting too close to one another, and not looking towards where the enemy might come from. It's also bad tactically, because if the enemy is at your flanks, you are in an enfilade position, which sucks balls. That's why we have Wedge - it's easy to move in a wedge because you just keep one guy on the right or left of your FOV and that's it - it's easy to maintain, and it allows the team to effectively respond to contacts at the flanks. I use Line only when it's clear that the enemy is close and at the front and that contact on the sides is less likely, any other situation and it is wedge.

Cold Haul
Finally a snowy mission and also play as OPFOR! For some reason there was a disconnection fest at one point, I wonder what causes it. Anyway, it was a fun mission.
Flanks:

Unfortunately, was over soon. I do think the AI has an unfair advantage in this kind of forest, IIRC the pine trees have vis blocker issues. It was, I think, fixed in the beta, but AFAIK the server is stable.

Bitter Memories:

Not saying this because it is Variable's only mission, but this one was motherloving awesomeness. Really liked it, atmosphere, difficulty and everything. Too bad we lost Riot, and I suppose in some situations it took me too long to react (since I was leading)... But we made it, and especially the last stretch towards the docks was pretty intense.

Chill Reception:

A good mission, I really liked it. I don't think I did a lot of mistakes as a leader, we were quite mobile and never really got surprised. My only mistake was not having all sides covered, which led to Varanon being shot. Lesson learned: Next time, with a team of that size, make sure that all directions are covered. Team Red could have seen these guys approaching, but it was pretty foggy and at the edge of their vision.

Also, the tanks never came. No idea why. Not going to report this to Sander, I'm tired of getting pooped on by him and Overlord ("It's the AI mods")

Full Stop:

Near-flawless execution. Good job.

Cache Nexus

I really hated searching for a not even man-sized box in the middle of the night, without binocs or scoped weapon. No real mistakes made here, it was just a boring mission with the caches placed at opposite ends of the circle, and at the edge of them to make them extra hard to spot. The additional AA targets just made a long mission even longer.

I know I had done a similar missions ("General Mortars") myself, but I claim mine was better Big Grin At least it had APC's in it, and the mortar positions were easier to spot, and the circles were smaller, and it was day... nevermind...
Flanks

I checked the recording of that mission, that guy in the end that shot me and Alwarren, he was definitely doing something fishy.

Bitter Memories

I really enjoyed this one. Was so immersed, especially in that last shootout, that I completely forgot we are about to finish it, so when we got to the pier, and the text showed mission acomplished, I was a bit dissapointed because it's over.
(01-29-2014, 02:33 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Flanks:

Unfortunately, was over soon. I do think the AI has an unfair advantage in this kind of forest, IIRC the pine trees have vis blocker issues. It was, I think, fixed in the beta, but AFAIK the server is stable.
Hmmm...  Don't want to go offtopic but shall we switch the server to beta then?

(01-29-2014, 02:33 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Bitter Memories:

Not saying this because it is Variable's only mission, but this one was motherloving awesomeness. Really liked it, atmosphere, difficulty and everything. Too bad we lost Riot, and I suppose in some situations it took me too long to react (since I was leading)... But we made it, and especially the last stretch towards the docks was pretty intense.
Thanks! Been a while since I made it. Great leading in this mission, it's the only thing that made us beat it. The shootout at the end surprised me too, I didn't remember putting these Russians there. Well, glad I did, it was one of the highlights of the mission.

(01-29-2014, 02:33 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Chill Reception:

A good mission, I really liked it. I don't think I did a lot of mistakes as a leader, we were quite mobile and never really got surprised. My only mistake was not having all sides covered, which led to Varanon being shot. Lesson learned: Next time, with a team of that size, make sure that all directions are covered. Team Red could have seen these guys approaching, but it was pretty foggy and at the edge of their vision.
The AI were too indifferent again, made me think we need to tweak the AI skill up a bit.

(01-30-2014, 01:28 AM)Gwynbleidd link Wrote:Flanks

I checked the recording of that mission, that guy in the end that shot me and Alwarren, he was definitely doing something fishy.
dude you still record our mission?! Please tell me you recorded Fly Catcher...
(01-30-2014, 08:47 PM)Variable link Wrote:Hmmm...  Don't want to go offtopic but shall we switch the server to beta then?

Might be worth it, really. Beta fixes a lot of issues.

Quote:Thanks! Been a while since I made it. Great leading in this mission, it's the only thing that made us beat it.

Thanks Smile Really great mission, I loved it.
Alright, wasn't present for too many missions yesterday due to my computer trouble, but here goes:

Reinforcing Alpha Squad:
Next to impossible. I had only passed the point on the map where the dirt road meets the highway, and since Varhalian's Hunter was heading the other way over the highway, we know now that this is the fastest route. Still, it takes too long.

AA Anonymous:
As usual, a great mission by ck. I think it went quite well, not much to add there. I had trouble communicating sometimes since I inadvertently changed the radio channel. Sorry about that, guys.

Scorpion:
400 AI, are you kidding me? The Iffrit got me, so I can't really say how the rest went. Recently, whenever I lead, I have tried to be as mobile as possible. Engage - Move - Vanish, so to not give the enemy time to home on your position. Unfortunately, this also meant running into an iffrit patrol. I think that was just bad luck, hard to foresee this kind of event
(01-30-2014, 08:47 PM)Variable link Wrote:dude you still record our mission?! Please tell me you recorded Fly Catcher...

I record every mission we play, so if anyone wants to see a specific moment or a firefight, just let me know the next day, and I'll upload it no problem (I usually delete the videos after 2-3 days, since i'm low on space)

But regarding Fly Catcher, problem is that when I'm done with the video, it looks great in 1080p, you can see every little detail. But when I upload it to yt, they compress it, and it looks like crap. You literally can't see the enemies past 150-200m with iron sights. And if you make sudden movements, it pixelizes the screen completely. Pixels the size of the fly, which is ridicoulous.

So the video was basically me shooting at the enemies you can't see, then running around half an hour. I didn't feel it was interesting to watch, and definitely doesn't do justice to the mission, so i just deleted it.