Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Stealth Theory
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Among the new stuff in path 1.58 was a new function called setUnitTrait (and the associated getter). Among other things, it allows you to make units engineers or medics, but it also has a very interesting other usage: Stealth.

The parameter camouflageCoef allows you to set a units stealthiness. The interpretation of this parameter is a bit weird: The lower it is, the better the camouflage is.

By default, the value is 1 which means it uses the units natural camouflage. If you set it to zero, the unit is practically undetectable.  It is worth noting however that this is a camouflage value; that means that if you move they will hear you. although they will not really be able to detect you. If you fire a weapon, they will instantly spot you if they have line of sight.

Similarly, audibleCoef is for how much noise you make.

With a bit of scripting magic, it should be easy to do things like
  • Underwater insertions that really work by setting the camo coefficient lower the deeper you are
  • Infiltration mission without setCaptive were getting out a gun will simply put the camo and audible coefficients back to normal.
  • Stealth missions were you can simulate "alertness" levels by increased camouflage
I haven't extensively player around with these, for example, I can't say whether increasing the camo beyond 1 will have a negative impact on it or not. Just thought I'd give a heads-up on this very interesting feature.
Just to add to what Alwarren has written, I think that Enhanced3den mod (or w/e it's called (Not sure if it's also displayed in Vanilla Eden but I imagine it's from that addon)) also allows you to edit some of those parameters via 'Attributes' aswell but I'm not too sure how well that works in a mission.

You can also make certain units engineers etc.

[Image: oK8rETMr.jpg]
Pages: 1 2 3 4