Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Making a Custom Repo for CiA
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I wonder if we couldn't set up a Custom Repo on Six Updater to make it easier for everyone to make sure they have all the same mods and versions? http://www.six-projects.net/Six_Updater+...epos_setup

I can't pretend to understand it entirely but it looks like a Repo could download a mix of mods from the official network and from the CiA webserver, so any standard mods don't have to be use up space/bandwidth on the webserver whilst any custom mods can be served from the webserver.
I've asked Sickboy about this some more and apparently just using a link like this

sixupdater://server=ip:port

will "interrogate" the server and download/update the mods that the server requires, so you could just put this link on the Addons page

sixupdater://server=77.74.193.124:2702

and this for PlaywithSix

pws://server=77.74.193.124:2702

and then people could just click on those to launch Six Updater/PwS and install/update the required mods.

(incidentally, it gives the address as 77.74.193.123 here http://ciahome.net/join-cia-coop-nights/ )

Obviously this will only work to install the mods that the server's currently running, so players (particularly new ones) would have to use it once on Tuesday/Sunday and again on Friday. I'm working on creating the config files for SU that can be hosted on the website and then we can have two links, which will allow users to install/update the required mods for both days any time they like, which will be much better.
I do think, though, that the server "collects" some addons into a generic "cia" addon, so I suppose the automatic method wouldn't work, unless Six Updater/PWS looks at the PBO's and not the addons directories...?
Yeah, I noticed that at the moment the server has a @ciacommon folder, which contains everything other than the CBA and CWR mods, so for the shortcut method to work effectively someone would need to separate the mods in that folder into their respective folders (making sure the names match those on the Six Network), @Thirsk, @Wintercamos, @gdtmod_grass, @sthud, etc.

I don't suppose that would be very hard but if no-one has the time to do that, it won't matter anyway once I get the config files sorted as they'll tell SU/PwS which mods are required and it won't need to ask the server.  Of course, then we'll need someone who can check the webserver meets the requirements and upload the files. The important parts are:

Quote:A http/https web-server of any kind.
Tested webservers: Apache2 and Nginx.
APACHE 2.2.20 and newer have issues, please use 2.2.19 for the time being. E.g: http://apache.xl-mirror.nl/httpd/binarie...0.9.8r.msi
NGINX for Windows:Â http://nginx.org/en/docs/windows.html
note: All versions of Microsoft Windows IIS are currently not supported. Apache is available for Windows too.

The server can run on any port (doesn't have to be port 80)

.yml / .yaml mime type needs to be active (Should be configurable in .htaccess file)
I think you're mixing up yoma and six updater?  (yml is for yoma)

Anyway, soon I want to get a home server (just got 100/100Mbit fiber)  and I can run the webserver with the files on that. So we have our own repository.  I don't have any experience with Six updater / pws, but I think we can put our own "ciacommon"  package on there.  Unless the zeus server has everything set up already and they are fine with us using it...
Nah, SU use .yml files as well.

We can use a custom repo to host certain files, although that's a little trickier to setup (I'm sure you're up to it though!). However, there's little point doing that for mods that are already on the network, as it just means that they can't be used by other servers/missions without having two copies installed and they'll get out of date.

The main thing it will be useful for is hosting things like the TrueUser mods we recommend, so that users don't have to download the whole TrueUser mod just to then extract a couple of files from it and create a folder (like @ServerCIA) to put them in. Currently I only have trueuser_igui_commandbar_texticons.pbo, trueuser_nvgs.pbo and trueuser_skybox_bluer.pbo in that folder, along with some approved mods from gdt_other, so it's thing like this it would be useful to host ourselves, with the rest of the mods being download and updated by SU/PwS.
OK, I've attached the config files I've created for SU (had to zip them to attach). They're plain text so you can inspect them to see how they're setup. I'll explain them in detail below but to use them, they simply need to be uploaded to the server in a sub-folder off the root named six and then they can be used by clicking on links to

sixupdater://ciahome.net/six/cia1.yml
sixupdater://ciahome.net/six/cia2.yml

If it's not already, the mime types file needs to be edited to activate .yml / .yaml as well. I was testing with a nginx server which uses a mime.types file and I had to add
    application/yaml                      yml yaml;

but Apache uses the .htaccess file I think http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/htaccess.html

We can edit CiA1.yml and CiA2.yml any time we want to change what mods we use and SU will automatically check these files and change the presets to match if necessary, meaning users should never need to check the forum and manually install mods again, so hopefully users not having the right mods should become a thing of the past Smile

So if someone could upload the files to the server and edit the mime types file if necessary, we can do a closed-test to check they're working properly (I've only tested on a localhost server so far) and iron out any problems before publishing the links on the homepage.

Now for the details:

The config.yml is the base file and defines the path to the other files under hosts. As you can see, I've set it to http://ciahome.net/six , so the files need to be stored on the server in a sub-folder named six but I think you can put them anywhere as long as you edit that path.

Then under servers it defines how many servers there are (I've defined one for Tues/Sun and one for Friday) and finally under apps I've setup the TS3 details, which enables the user to launch TS3 and auto-connect from SU.

Then CiA1.yml (for Tues/Sun) defines the name that will appear for the preset in SU and the Required mods. The Allowed mods section is a bit pointless as we don't restrict what mods can be used but I stuck the mods we recommend in there anyway (I put st_hud, mk4 and blakes_pradar in Required mods as I figured they're pretty essential). Obviously SU uses particular names for the mods, so for example if you already had Thirsk in a folder named @Island_Thirsk then SU wouldn't recognise that and would download the mod again to @Thirsk, so you'd want to rename your folder to match the name SU uses to avoid this.

CiA2.yml is for Fridays. You'll note I've set the wrong port in that, to 2712. The reason for this is that SU uses the IP:port to identify servers, so ideally we need to run the server on a different port on Fridays to that used on Tues/Sun. If this isn't possible, we can still use SU but the two presets will both end up showing with the same name like "CiA (Comrades in Arms) ACE" so it would be better if we can use a different port on Fridays. Otherwise it'd be best to just edit the names in both files to something generic like "CiA (Comrades in Arms)".

Although they're not specifed in CiA2.yml, when loading the presets into SU you'll notice it lists some additional mods that you might not recognise. This is because some of the mods included in the Lingor and Duala manual downloads are separated on the Six Network and treated as dependencies, so that they only need to be downloaded/stored once and can be shared amongst several mods. If you look at the armaholic page for Lingor http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=10792 you'll see under "included pbos", it lists:

brg_africa
chn_crocodile
csj_snake
ibr_lcivilians
ibr_plants
MBG_Buildings2

which are the ones that are kept separate on SU. With Duala it's:

brg_africa
ibr_dtowns
mbg_gen_afr_buildings

so you can see that Lingor and Duala both share brg_africa.

The only mods we use that don't appear to be on the Six network are @caa1 and @oac_core so users will need to download those manually but I've listed them in the CiA2.yml, so as long as they're installed to folders with those names then they'll be activated by SU when using the preset. I'll ask if they can be added to the Six network though.

You'll notice I've only listed @CBA_CO in both configs but it appears SU automatically switches between that (which is required for post-beta 100697) and the three separate @CBA, @CBA_A2, @CBA_OA (required for pre-beta 100697) depending on whether the user has the beta enabled or not.
Oops, had a typo in one of the files. I've attached the corrected files.

If someone could upload them to a server so that others can use them that would be great.

I'll see about creating some for PwS as that supposedly supports Custom Repos now but it appears to require different files.

EDIT: Had to tweak them again to work with PwS. Now they should work with that and Six Updater using the following links:

pws://ciahome.net/six/cia1.yml
pws://ciahome.net/six/cia2.yml

sixupdater://ciahome.net/six/cia1.yml
sixupdater://ciahome.net/six/cia2.yml

Obviously if they're stored somewhere other than ciahome.net that part would need to be amended as appropriate.

I've created a third profile for Fridays without ACE and renamed the profiles to make it clearer which is which, so now there's:

cia-cwr2.yml
cia-test-ACE.yml
cia-test-NoACE.yml

I've attached a zip which just needs to be extracted to a webserver, so that there'll be a six folder underneath the main html folder.

Then the links will be:

pws://servername/six/cia-cwr2.yml
pws://servername/six/cia-test-ACE.yml
pws://servername/six/cia-test-NoACE.yml

and

sixupdater://severname/six/cia-cwr2.yml
sixupdater://severname/six/cia-test-ACE.yml
sixupdater://severname/six/cia-test-NoACE.yml
This is great Doveman! Lets wait with it just a bit as we are about to update the needed addons for Sunday, Tuesday and Friday. Many addons from the Friday set and more will be added for Sunday and Tuesday and Friday will probably remain ACE and Arma 3.
Cool, I'll keep an eye out for the changes and update the profiles accordingly.
The new list of addons has now been posted. Most of it should be straightforward to add to the Six profiles but there's some things to discuss.

Mk4 HUD or Blakeace's Pradar
- if I put both of these in the Six profile, then they'll be Required mods and both forced enabled, so perhaps it would be best to leave them both out and give instructions on how to add the one of the users choice in PwS/Six Updater. Alternatively we could have one in the profile and thus forced enabled, leaving it up to the user if they want to add the other as well.

Namalsk
- on Six, I believe this is split into @namalsk and @NC, with the former being 704MB and the latter 126MB. I note you're going to publish the required PBOs from this but if they include all or most of those in @NC, it would make sense to just add that mod in the Six profile. The files in this folder are:

ns_anims.pbo
ns_dayz.pbo
ns_fraction.pbo
ns_missions.pbo
ns_mutants.pbo
ns_ui.pbo

and accompanying .bisigns of course.

RHS Russian Army (Remove rhs_ui.pbo or else you'll get duplicated menu)
- this one is a little tricky as if any files are modified/deleted, then PwS/SixUpdater will notice and repair it by replacing the files from it's rsync backup folder, although perhaps only if the user manually chooses to "Diagnose" the mod. I don't know if it's likely to get updated in the future, but if so we'll have to advise users to keep an eye out for any updates and remove the rhs_ui.pbo again after it completes.

Trinty
- doesn't appear to be on Six at the moment but I've asked about this and whether it can be added, so fingers crossed.

I didn't see CBA in the list, so is that not going to be used or is it just assumed that everyone has this enabled already? I've never really got my head round which mods need this to work or not, so maybe it's just ACE that needs it.
A lot of addons use CBA, so better include it.  It can't hurt anyway.
Yeah, sounds like a good plan. I think JSRS uses it and although that's an optional mod, I imagine most people will be using it.
Is the IP:port for the server the same on Tues/Sun (CWR2) and Thursdays (ACE) i.e.

77.74.193.124:2202

?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6