Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Stealth Theory
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hey comrades, I decided to hypothesize about stealth and Arma so I was freewriting on some word doc and will paste it here. It's the theory of what I came up with about stealth and Arma and how it goes. Feel free to post your opinions, insights, critics, and such about what you think on how mechanics of stealth currently work.

Regarding stealth in Arma, I pretty much came to this for mission designs. I’ll address stealth kills as the very first thing to address since, it doesn’t work and missions designed around it won’t work.

Stealth Kills: Don’t even bother. The likelihood of you scoring a stealth kill without being detected is very low and even lower in Arma 3 than Arma 2.

You might get away with one guy in Arma 2 since you can one shot kill a guy with a silence weapon. In Arma 3, because of AI body armor, even a 7.62 round isn’t going to kill a guy in one, but more like 2. Since you fired 2 instead of 1, you can get spotted easier (I find stealth better in 2 than 3 for this purpose, but if mission is designed by evasion instead of stealth kills, it wouldn’t matter unless one’s AI have greater x-ray vision).

Basically, I can ungroup the AI so they won’t be automatically in the same group and know that something is wrong. During a patrol, if I drop the AI, the AI who don’t even have line of sight with the patrol on top of the tower are now alerted. They don’t know where I am, but they know a shooter with silence weapon is around. On default, AIs are on AWARE mode. When they’re alerted, they switch to COMBAT/DANGER mode. I check for COMBAT/DANGER mode to raise alarms.

Now I guess we can say that silence weapons are still loud and people will still hear them and be alerted. That’s possible, but funny thing is, I decide to shoot light bulbs instead of people for the next test. There’s a guard patrolling and the other patrol I drop would be farther away than the 4 lights up on the tower. Of course, there’s always a chance I would alert someone from shooting light bulbs (I did one time but it’s not as common as shooting patrols). For the most part, I was pretty successful. I took down 4 lights and the AI doesn’t even have a clue that I’m firing silence weapon at light bulbs. None of them were alerted.

Reason why is I’m not sure, but I will guess that if you shoot another AI and drop them, grouped or not, another AI will detect his death somehow even without line of sight. Maybe it’s the radius. I would be more successful in Stealth Kills without alerting farther off guards if they’re really really far off and isolated. The question would be how far, but then, why would it be that far. Overall, it would be pretty much stealth killing in an almost isolated town if I design a mission that way. In such case, since the density is so low, you can might as well sneak pass them even easier.

Ironically, I find that you have better luck stealth killing a lightbulb than a human. So I’d go with, your bullets more well spent on a light bulb than a person if the mission have some sort of alarm system.

DETECTION SYSTEM: If you use the trigger “DETECTED BY <insert side here>”, you’ll pretty much be detected in an instant. Even if the enemies did not see you. For example if I remember correctly on my Black Hole mission on Namalsk. There were times I remember that the NACs without NV Goggles spotted us and the question I have is “no one’s alerted, no one saw us, and how are we spotted”. I think the “DETECTED BY” trigger is kind of broken sometimes. The moment someone is alerted, the alarm is pretty much off, even if you silence them before anything is leaked its already too late even if you put a timeout timer.

Another method I can think of checking of enemies’ behavior. I name certain guards and check if their behaviors are COMBAT. If they are, I put a hint that a guard is alerted and you pretty much have to silent him before another guard is alerted (usually its already too late since once you attempt stealth kill, you end up alerting more people <check back on the stealth kill section>). Basically this method works with a trigger with condition

Code:
(behaviour unitname == ""COMBAT"" && alive unitname && alive alarm)

to make sure the unit is aware and alive. I then put a timeout timer before

Code:
deletevehicle alarm

to trigger the alarm. If he’s dead, the alarm won’t trigger. I also add a trigger to make sure that if enemy fire their guns, alarm are off.

I find the second method better, but the problem is, stealth kill doesn’t work (unless it’s a light bulb you killed).

Design Choice: Overall, I think the best approach for a stealth mission is one where you don’t shoot any soldiers at all (except light bulbs I guess since I find that the chance of you getting caught from shooting lights is much lower than shooting people). In this case, the design must not have a soldier guarding the objective at all, but have them all patrolling around, but possible to all be avoided through hiding and maneuvering.

If there’s an alarm system and it has to have stealth kill involved, most likely it won’t work out since you’ll get detected trying. So if there’s an alarm, the best approach would be a mission where you don’t shoot people (unless the objective was keep sneaking until you get to a tank to steal and then the reinforcements can’t handle the tank then the alarm goes off but you’re already in a tank for example).
If there’s no alarm, you can pretty much pick enemies off from afar with an MK17 SD or something as they run around like headless chicken without NV Goggles (pretty much forget stealth and camp on a hill picking enemies off).

Long story short, no shooting.

- So then what’s the point of having guns?

If the mission is basically some civilian and just silenced pistols or smaller arms. Either emergencies or taking out light bulbs. If you have optics and TWS and such, then so you can scan a wider radius.

Design Choice #2: Another approach I can think of would be blending in with the sound of two warring sides’ firefight. In this case scenario, it would be ok to shoot. Silence weapon or not, it doesn’t matter too much as long as you try to keep a low profile and only shoot when must.
Scenarios I can think of this would be escape a town under battle between 2 clashing sides (but that’s more of an escape mission than a stealth mission). One side occupy the town you’re trapped in, the other is attacking. You use the attacker’s as an advantage in the midst of chaos you escape. Well, everyone is your enemy pretty much.

Another scenario I can think of would be stealing a cache in a town in the middle of 2 clashing factions. I might consider it more of snatch and grab. I don’t know if I can call it stealth (well I guess if you have some silence weapon sneaking under the covers and chaos of firefights that might work).

Another scenario I also thought of for this design choice would be 2 warring factions and you must eliminate both of their generals and then escape through the midst of chaos or activate a bomb to blow the whole place up and leave.

Summary of Design Choices: Design Choice #1 I would say would be the ideal Stealth Stealth scenario I guess. As long as no stealth kills are necessary and it is not necessary to shoot anyone but simply trying to avoid everyone as you sneak through all of them since stealth kills don’t work and alarm systems are presented. There’s the more move slow and try to keep quiet.

Design Choice #2 I would say would not be the typical stealth mission where you avoid shooting all the time. I think #2 has more options of approach on either letting the enemy duke it all out or rush in snatch and grab. I guess options of approach can vary since its already in the heat of battle and you’re just using the chaos to cover yourself. I’m not sure if this would be called “Stealth”, but you’re pretty much using chaos as your cloak instead of dead silence.
(01-06-2014, 05:13 AM)Phantom link Wrote:Design Choice #2: Another approach I can think of would be blending in with the sound of two warring sides’ firefight. In this case scenario, it would be ok to shoot. Silence weapon or not, it doesn’t matter too much as long as you try to keep a low profile and only shoot when must.
Scenarios I can think of this would be escape a town under battle between 2 clashing sides (but that’s more of an escape mission than a stealth mission). One side occupy the town you’re trapped in, the other is attacking. You use the attacker’s as an advantage in the midst of chaos you escape. Well, everyone is your enemy pretty much.

Another scenario I can think of would be stealing a cache in a town in the middle of 2 clashing factions. I might consider it more of snatch and grab. I don’t know if I can call it stealth (well I guess if you have some silence weapon sneaking under the covers and chaos of firefights that might work).

Another scenario I also thought of for this design choice would be 2 warring factions and you must eliminate both of their generals and then escape through the midst of chaos or activate a bomb to blow the whole place up and leave.
This is an awesome idea! Another possible scenario during a fight between two other factions would be to get in, snatch a civilian and extract him to safety.

Regarding the rest - I always felt there's no point in silencers in the RV engine games. Well, except for looking tacticool.
Well you could have enemies in A3 without headgear and vests, I think civilians (who carry only the uniform) can be easily dropped by one shot.

knowsAbout pretty much explains it, though some comments are from OFP era.

Quote:With Resistance (1.91): No matter what class of unit the target is and no matter what the skill/class of the enemy AI, the magic 'knowsAbout' number is 0.105.
With CWC (1.46): No matter what class of unit the target is and no matter what the skill/class of the enemy AI, the magic 'knowsAbout' number is 0.7.
What this means is, the AI will not fire on an enemy soldier until his 'knowsAbout' level of that enemy has reached the 'magic number' or higher.
This suggests that the knowsabout level must reach the magic threshold before a unit knows if another unit is an enemy or a friendly unit.
Triggers and knowsabout level: "Detected by xxx" triggers also follow the above rules. For a detected trigger to be set off, the knowsAbout level must reach the magic number.
Also... As soon as An AI unit gets hit with a bullet his knowsAbout level for the unit that shot him will instantly jump to 1.5, even if the shooter is 1000m away. Vice versa is also true. If An AI soldier's knowsAbout level for an enemy is 0.7 and the soldier fires and hits the enemy, his knowsAbout level about the enemy will instantly jump to 1.5. Some editors have found, whilst using this command over the years, that the following characteristics have cropped up:
AI enemies have a very limited amount of peripheral vision, it's not nearly as good as a human player's. A target must be in front of the unit for him to be noticed, so if you sprint right behind an enemy, this value doesn't increase.
Depending on the units skill level, it can take a little time for the unit to notice a target. So if you run right past a unit, this value might not increase.
Bushes between the unit and the target seem to have little effect on this value, and trees definately have no affect. You may be in a forest, and can't see the unit, but he can see you.
MP Note knowsAbout returns a viable result only if left-hand parameter unit is local.

All units in a group have equal knowsAbout for any given target. All units in a group always return knowsAbout 4 about each other. This suggests groups share a single knowledge base.
Without any contact with the target, the knowsAbout value decays at a linear rate so that it halves over 120 seconds. After this time is up knowsAbout drops instantly to 0.
If the distance between the all of unit's group and the target exceeds the viewdistance setting, knowsAbout instantly drops to 0. This is not changed by fog or daylight.

Note that in OFP unit see all the targets that his group members see. The data is processed between teammembers freely.

The KnowsAbout value drops immediately back to zero, if the distance between both units is larger than the local viewDistance value.

hi Phantom

yes stealth is a bitch - the only way I could ever manage a stealth mission of sorts was by not firing a weapon and remaining out of sight, hopefully all the way to objective and back out.

Detected is BS because they can detect you from 100 meters walking away from you - I think its hearing you. However, just because you're 'detected' does not mean they actually turn and shoot you. So it's a strange call.

anyway, back to my missions of stealth - basically, I set a trigger that if your team fired a weapon then they were detected and mission could fail. it was a function or logic - something like that. I can dig it up I think.

but that's just another possible approach to a stealth mission for what its worth.

L.
Hey Phantom,

I'd be interested if you could try this mod and see if it makes any difference to being able to quickly kill enemies in less shots without raising the alarm.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.ph...lencer-Fix

The idea is that it in real-life, suppressed weapons don't actually affect the velocity and damage of the ammo but in ArmA they do, so this mod corrects that by removing the damage penalty from these weapons, so it might make it practical to have stealth missions where we can actually shoot people.

If it doesn't though, I like your other ideas. I guess you have to think about what purpose people serve in the mission, as if it's just a matter of sneaking to somewhere undetected and no shooting, then it's great for SP or 2-player co-op missions but for multiple player co-op the extra people aren't really helping at all by being there but maybe you could find ways to make them essential, such as needing them to watch for patrols from a rooftop and radioing the guys on the ground when it's safe to proceed, stuff like that. If you're trying to accommodate say 5-6 extra people besides those on the ground, then maybe you could have 2 people on each rooftop covering different areas to guide the guys on the ground as they entered that section of town. You'd probably want to have it so the guys have to get back out after retrieving the PoW/package, otherwise the guys on the roofs would only be doing something for a short part of the mission but having them have to guide the ground guys out again would double the amount of time they're involved and maybe you could have it so that the entry route becomes unusable as the exit route, so that the roof guys have to reposition to guide the ground guys out via a different route.

You could even not give the guys on the ground nightvision so that they have to really rely on instructions from the rooftop guys if you wanted to really test our teamwork!
Nice idea, but it'd take some extra work at the moment to get the ideas out so I'll save for later or something that might do. I guess stealth is more complicated matter in Arma. You shoot a guy even if you drop him with a silence weapon in 1 shot you still may have a chance to alert the whole area around there (unless the area is heavily dispersed up).

Well, I guess in those splinter cell walkthroughs I watch, if people do stealth walkthrough, they go more sneaking pass than dropping anyways.

I find making a quick mission for Arma 3 takes longer than Arma 2 too (redoing loadouts)
(02-28-2014, 09:33 PM)Phantom link Wrote:Nice idea, but it'd take some extra work at the moment to get the ideas out so I'll save for later or something that might do. I guess stealth is more complicated matter in Arma. You shoot a guy even if you drop him with a silence weapon in 1 shot you still may have a chance to alert the whole area around there (unless the area is heavily dispersed up).

Well, I guess in those splinter cell walkthroughs I watch, if people do stealth walkthrough, they go more sneaking pass than dropping anyways.

I find making a quick mission for Arma 3 takes longer than Arma 2 too (redoing loadouts)

Yeah, I thought I'd just throw the idea out there but I realise it's a lot of work even making simple missions.

I remember playing some stealth missions on ArmA2 and it had the same problem, where you could quietly kill one but the others nearby would still become aware and come and kill you, which wasn't much fun!
I just read that TMR does much the same thing as that Tier1 mod I linked to:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=21785

"Realistic Suppressors:
Suppressors do not reduce damage or muzzle velocity. Suppressors have specific threadings and cannot screw on to weapons just because they share a caliber (optional). Suppressors very slightly increase the cyclic rate of weapons due to increased back-pressure."
Yeah, I originally play with TMR even on the stealth mission I worked on. Again the problem is dropping a guy and the whole camp knows about you. I guess the camp is a bit too small.

I'll make the post a bit quick since I'm more limited on time.

Another problem I can see with stealth mission sometimes, on local server, I can lay on the floor in dark night and have enemies walk pass by me undetected. I'll be still as a bush (back in Arma 2). On CiA's dedicated server, they'll see as I'm still...

I think I have another idea. Place some cars with no gas, maybe check if you're in the back of the car (hiding in cars), setCaptive true, and make the "hide in the car" effect. Get out and setCaptive false, just another idea I thought of.

More stealth of, no stealth kills, just sneak.
(03-01-2014, 12:19 AM)Phantom link Wrote:Yeah, I originally play with TMR even on the stealth mission I worked on. Again the problem is dropping a guy and the whole camp knows about you. I guess the camp is a bit too small.

If the guy is in a group, all group members will immediately know.

I made a video explaining it, and also a ticket on the issue tracker:
[url=
(03-01-2014, 02:52 AM)Alwarren link Wrote:If the guy is in a group, all group members will immediately know.

I made a video explaining it, and also a ticket on the issue tracker:

Could you post a link to the ticket please? I'd like to vote for it as this is rather bad!
It was my mission and the soldier is a single soldier :o . But the guys in the towers heard or something.
(03-01-2014, 03:15 AM)doveman link Wrote:Could you post a link to the ticket please? I'd like to vote for it as this is rather bad!

There you go:
http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=10143
And I really wonder what imbeciles voted it down...
(03-01-2014, 01:17 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:There you go:
http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=10143
And I really wonder what imbeciles voted it down...

Thanks, voted.

I guess some people who only play PvP might not care if the AI is derped and have other things they're more interested in seeing fixed  ???
I sometimes wonder, if its just exclusive sneak sneak don't be detected. Is it better for 2 player coop mission for MPMissions or if I have a whole series of them, a 2 player coop campaign for a campaign folder. Just curious. Depending on which server, you can't lay low and have AI walk right pass you. If I host a listen server and lay prone in the darkness and enemy AI walk across me, they won't know that I'm there. On CiA server, if you do that, you'll still be spotted.
Pages: 1 2 3 4